Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stolen Enterprise rental Mustang has woman facing $47K bill

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:06 pm

Programs: AC100K, Delta Plat, Nat EX EL, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Almost all pictures are time stamped in some way these days, and it would be yet one more piece of evidence that the renter did as instructed by the rental company, i.e., bring the car back, park it on their lot, and return the keys through the slot.

I would bet that this additional evidence would be helpful should the thing ever go to trial.
It wouldn't make a lick of difference. What's to say you can't take your pictures and then either take off with the car or trash it.

Enterprise's policy is there and they offer the option for an after hours drop off out of convenience. Should a renter choose to exercise that option they do so at their own risk/peril.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Platinum, Accor Silver, Choice Privileges Gold
Re the potential of lawsuits, the article says that the $47k charge to her card "won't go through" but that it could cause her financial difficulties. The 47k is alleged to be the replacement value (for a Mustang???).

If the charge doesn't go thru, I would think she wouldn't have to sue anyone, altho I suppose that depends on what, if any, financial difficulties arise from a charge that doesn't go thru. I'm not familiar with what difficulties arise from a charge that doesn't go thru. Anyone else know? tls
Old Jan 3, 2014, 8:35 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by IanFromHKG
Who said she has car insurance? My wife frequently rents cars, but she doesn't officially own one (both ours legally belong to me because I get the no-claims bonus) and accordingly she doesn't have any car insurance.

And anyway, would insurance for one's own car really cover theft of someone else's car???
Your wife is or should be included as a covered driver on your insurance... or you have some real issues if she gets in an accident.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 9:33 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
Originally Posted by YYBGrinder
It wouldn't make a lick of difference. What's to say you can't take your pictures and then either take off with the car or trash it.

Enterprise's policy is there and they offer the option for an after hours drop off out of convenience. Should a renter choose to exercise that option they do so at their own risk/peril.
I agree with this however they don't "offer" an option. If you choose to drop it off while they are closed, they tell you what you should do.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 11:39 pm

Programs: AA executive platinum, United premier gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by mre5765
Rather difficult to do when the plane departs before the rental car franchise is open for business, as is frequently the case at airports in Canada and Australia.

If she indicated at the time she booked the rental what time and day she would be returning the car, then I am afraid this is the rental agency's fault. They assume the risk by having unattended car return lots.

If this happened to me, I would tell the Enterprise and my bank, too bad, so sad, but you are out of luck. Sue me baby.

As for the CC insurance covering it, if I were the bank, I would take the position that my obligation ended when the car was returned. Which is what her personal insurer is saying: "Cockerill's insurer said the car wasn't in her control, so it shouldn't be her problem. "
Enterprise wants to run a low cost business: this is a consequence.
Bingo, finally someone who I think hit the key point. This happens to me frequently where my flight is at 6 or 7 am and even at a major airport like MSP there is no attendant at the car rental return lot until 6 am. When I rent a car it always asks when the car is to be returned which I will note to be at 5 or 5:30 am. They knowingly rent it to you under those circumstances and therefore, in my opinion, should take the responsibility when they provide a drop box for the key on their lot. Hire someone to be there at that hour.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 3:28 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
I'm not surprised by what her insurance company said, my parents had a beef with a rental car company a number of years ago, they disputed the damage and the rental company didn't provide very compelling documentation. Their insurance company made it pretty clear they had to take an exceptionally hard line with rental companies because of inflated claims and other dishonesty. Their insurance company told them they had their back, call us if they threaten to sue you. But they had no intention of paying anywhere near what was demanded. They also ruled it not at fault because of the poor documentation.

Last edited by Error 601; Jan 4, 2014 at 4:04 am
Old Jan 4, 2014, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by greg0ire
I agree with this however they don't "offer" an option. If you choose to drop it off while they are closed, they tell you what you should do.
Technically they do give you the option. You can choose to have your contract end after hours when making the booking but the website specifically states the after hours drop instructions AND the fact that you are responsible for the vehicle until it is checked in by an ERAC employee.

I've done it quite often here in YYB both at the airport and the neighbourhood locations.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by fleur_de_lys
Bingo, finally someone who I think hit the key point. This happens to me frequently where my flight is at 6 or 7 am and even at a major airport like MSP there is no attendant at the car rental return lot until 6 am. When I rent a car it always asks when the car is to be returned which I will note to be at 5 or 5:30 am. They knowingly rent it to you under those circumstances and therefore, in my opinion, should take the responsibility when they provide a drop box for the key on their lot. Hire someone to be there at that hour.
Happens to me all the time as well but it doesn't change the fact that it's the way the contract is written. I know full well that when I do so, it is at my own risk.

The after hours is a convenience to us, the renters. Would you rather they tell you that you can't drop it off after hours and force you to take a later flight?
Old Jan 4, 2014, 9:14 am

Programs: 1MM UA

I'm sorry but if she chose to accept the car, she accepted the terms of their agreement. You can say that it may not be enforceable until you're blue in the face but I highly doubt Enterprise has written any of their contract policy without the input of some serious contract lawyers.
That's what they want you to think.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: AA executive platinum, United premier gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold
[QUOTE=

The after hours is a convenience to us, the renters. Would you rather they tell you that you can't drop it off after hours and force you to take a later flight?[/QUOTE]

Or you could choose to rent from a different car rental company, of course assuming you could find one. Strange that the airport is alive and buzzing at 5 am with all kinds of employees at work, but major car rental companies cannot seem to have anyone there prior to 6am. Again hire someone to be there at that hour.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by sosafan
That's what they want you to think.
IMO even if you, as a consumer, are able to get out of it after some legal wrangling, they, the vendor, are in the right.

The renter knowingly accepts the terms and conditions offered by the rental company. Nobody puts a gun to their head and the contract isn't written in Klingon or invisible ink.

To me, people that knowingly and willingly accept the terms of a deal only to cry foul later and waste resources in court are a drain on society. Just my 2 cents.

I couldn't care less what they 'want' me to think. Right is right and it's as simple as that in my mind.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by fleur_de_lys
Or you could choose to rent from a different car rental company, of course assuming you could find one. Strange that the airport is alive and buzzing at 5 am with all kinds of employees at work, but major car rental companies cannot seem to have anyone there prior to 6am. Again hire someone to be there at that hour.
Why should they? Would it simplify things for the consumer? Yes. Have they done a cost/benefit analysis to determine whether or not it makes business sense to do so? I'm sure they have.

Again, it all comes down to the consumers choice to accept the terms AS THEY ARE. I agree 100% that I would feel better knowing that my rental is closed out when I drop it off at 5am, but I choose to rent knowing that there won't be so by doing so I am willing to accept the terms of the rental.

With Enterprise it's even more glaring as they state the risk when making the reservation online and over the phone.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 9:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

IMO even if you, as a consumer, are able to get out of it after some legal wrangling, they, the vendor, are in the right.

The renter knowingly accepts the terms and conditions offered by the rental company. Nobody puts a gun to their head and the contract isn't written in Klingon or invisible ink.

To me, people that knowingly and willingly accept the terms of a deal only to cry foul later and waste resources in court are a drain on society. Just my 2 cents.

I couldn't care less what they 'want' me to think. Right is right and it's as simple as that in my mind.
The rental company knowingly accepts a reservation that ends before they get their lazy butts into the office, and tells the renter the procedure to return the car at that time, thus understanding, on the companies part, that the renter will do as instructed. If the company feels that their office is in such a sketchy part of town that they can't do this safely, they should stop accepting such reservations.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
The rental company knowingly accepts a reservation that ends before they get their lazy butts into the office, and tells the renter the procedure to return the car at that time, thus understanding, on the companies part, that the renter will do as instructed. If the company feels that their office is in such a sketchy part of town that they can't do this safely, they should stop accepting such reservations.
Yes, and then whiny customers would complain they can't make it back during regular business hours. Maybe all rental companies should stay open 24hrs so that nobody is inconvenienced, who cares about profit sustainability.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 10:59 am

Back in my college days, I would occasionally rent a car for one day from a neighborhood location. That location was closed on Sundays.

I soon figured out that I get 2 days rental out of the car by returning it anytime before the rental office reopened on Monday morning at 8am.

That usually worked, although one time somebody apparently came in "early" and I was charged for 2 days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.