Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alamo: Crazy Long Rental Car Line in Downtown San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2013, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Alamo: Crazy Long Rental Car Line in Downtown San Francisco

I drive by the Alamo Rental Car office in downtown San Francisco a few times a week. The line snakes around inside the office and then halfway down the block. Welcome to San Francisco, folks.

It appears that 90% of the line is foreign tourists - somehow I don't think the length of the line is disclosed to them when they sign up for their package tours. Alamo is clearly selling more than its capacity. And, since Alamo is not expecting repeat business, they do nothing to remediate the situation.

Here's a video I took yesterday: http://youtu.be/emOat4nTfJU
Old Aug 9, 2013, 1:11 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow the thread to the appropriate rental car forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 2:47 pm

Wow. But that's the corollary of having cheap rates: the crowds beat a stampede to your door. I would hope that the returns area is not so swamped. If someone returning a car has to wait in this line, they probably would be late and charged extra.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 9:14 am

This is not in the Bush st., right?
Old Aug 10, 2013, 2:23 pm

Was this the "Union Street" branch of Alamo? That is a ridiculous queue!
Old Aug 10, 2013, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by boonkoh
Was this the "Union Street" branch of Alamo? That is a ridiculous queue!
O'Farrell Street, near Union Square.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
I just encountered this at the Alamo O'Farrell location last week. Just as I had resigned myself to joining the rear of this ridiculous line, an Alamo rep was walking the line checking ID's and thank god I had a U.S. driver's license and an alamo.com printout in hand. Everybody else within view had foreign passports and printouts from various foreign travel agencies. She whisked me inside to the front counter and I was out of there in less than 10 minutes. She told the British guy in front of me it was a 1.5 hour wait !!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.