Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Rental Car Concept "FlightCar" at SFO...Anyone Try It Yet?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta Private Jet Card (Commercial Flights Only So Far), Avis Chairman's Club
New Rental Car Concept "FlightCar" at SFO...Anyone Try It Yet?

Yesterday I saw an ad pop up here on FT for a new rental car concept called FlightCar.

The idea is that you can rent your car out at your home airport, or rent someone else's car when you are traveling to another city.

If you want to rent your car out at your home airport while you are away on a trip, you drive your own car to the airport, and the staff member meets you, takes your car, and you go on your trip. They wash your car and rent it out to qualified customers. You get free parking and your car washed again and gassed up before you return and even get a free gas card for at least $10, plus you get free concierge terminal drop off and pick up. They insure your car and fix or replace it in the case of loss or damage.

If you want to rent someone else's car, you can do that too although you have to be pre-qualified. Their rates are $15 to $30 a day, which is much cheaper than the legacy car rental agencies...they say about 1/2 the price.

So far it is only at SFO, but I saw chatter in some news articles in business web sites about them trying it in SJC, OAK, and somewhere in Ohio where half their team is based. The other half is in the SF Bay Area apparently.

I'm going to try it out and give them my car (a nice upscale full-sized SUV) for a week starting tomorrow, so I'll post here with my experience.

Have any other FTers here used this service yet as a renter or a rentee?

My post seems a little promotion-y, so I just want to state that I'm not affiliated with FlightCar at all.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi there,

I used it a couple of days ago and overall it was a satisfactory experience.
Pick-up and drop off was on time from SFO. Rental car provided was a Hyundai Sonata with some 8,5 K miles. Rate at $ 17 all-in was competitive, but included only 100 free miles. $0.45 for extra miles.

The only thing irking: at the return I was asked to sign, that I would be responsible for any damage found, for which they had 6 months to submit their claim to me!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.