Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experiences with Fox?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2012, 3:57 am
Original Poster

Experiences with Fox?

I found a good rate for a charger LAX->LAS but the review on Yelp are a little scary... Anyone have experience with them?
Old Dec 17, 2012, 1:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Platinum
I've rented with them, on multiple occasions.. Never had a problem. Once I had a tire blowout, they replaced the car and I got a call from the Fox head office about the claim for the tire replacement.. which they subsequently closed themselves.

Frankly, I would just as happily rent from Fox as any of the others, assuming no points loyalty.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Kenneth Chong
review on Yelp are a little scary...
Check out googles!
Old Dec 19, 2012, 2:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, SW RR, Enterprise Plus, Marriott,
fox - good customer service not so good cars

I used FOX consistently for almost a year. I had a few issues like oil lights showing and noisy brakes. A few months ago I had a rental that blew a tire on the highway. We called Fox and they dispatched the tow agency but in looking a the tires they were bald down to the tire on the inside of both back tires. In fact it cut my hand in several areas when I touched the tires to put it in the trunk.

The repair person put the donut on, but said not to drive it more than a few miles due to the condition to the remaining back tire. I called Fox and got permission to replace both tires. Fox originally was sending me 20 miles away to a site that when I called had no appointment times and was too far away. After another call to fox (4th of the day while on the side of the road) I got approval for a location I found 3 miles from me. I kept both tires as evidence of the condition. I emailed and called the main office and emailed the the local office to inquire about reimbursement and get reassurance on how I would know safety would not be an issue - no response. I sent a letter and emailed it with images of the tires and what occured - no response. Customer Service helped me via online chat, but said I had to resolve the issue with the local office but there is no way to call the local office. Customer Service said they would pass on my message and ask the local office manager to call me. I finally stopped in to their office (out of my way) and asked to speak with the manager - no available and they couldn't tell me when he would be available. The staff did get authorization to reimburse me for the tires (no other compensation on the rental for time or trouble) while I was there and reimbursed to the credit card on the rental.

Most troubling was no follow up from corporate or local office on the obvious lack of concern on safety. At this point I decided I couldn't trust them to give me a safe car and haven't used them since (3 months). It is disappointing that they did not contact me to talk it through. I liked thier staff and customer service, but safety in a car rental is critical.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 3:29 pm

From my various experiences with rental car companies, Fox Rent-a-Car is the pretty low-end, Wal-Mart-equivalent of rental car companies. You'll get a car that runs and is likely to be cheaper than other rental car companies. With that being said, they're a great value, but there are some nuances here and there.

If you fly into Las Vegas, Fox Rent-a-Car is located away from the airport. So you take the rental car shuttle from your gate to all the other rental car companies (Alamo, Enterprise, Budget, etc.) and they have a proprietary shuttle take you from the rental car area to their off-site location. This is so that they don't have the airport rental tax, which helps reduce their costs and your price. In the end, you save some $, but also need to budget another 30-40 minutes each way into your travel schedule to return the car.

Service at Fox is pretty low-end. Lines are moderate to long and wait times are common, though none unbearable if you're not in a rush. I've rented compact cars from them and received economy cars, sometimes with broken or scratched areas, so inspect the car carefully before leaving the lot. I recall in Los Angeles they will let you walk and choose your car (color, options), which is a big plus, even if all the cars generally aren't great. We rented one time for a camping trip and got a well-loaded van, with less miles than the others, and the chosen color hid the dirt pretty well upon return.

Finally, if you ever have a problem with Fox, prepare for some headache. One of my vehicles was hit-and-run by a Fox Rent-a-Car driver. I got a police report and witnesses (it was in front of a fancy lounge). Unfortunately, I had liability-only insurance, so I had to personally pursue them. Fox repeatedly denied liability and would not give up their client's information (lived in NY). Expect to be hung up on, receive the response "I don't know what to do with this case," or told that they cannot provide you any information. The story from the post above doesn't surprise me because I've spoken to much of the staff and to them, it's just a job - there's no incentive to help you besides that it makes you go away. They hire very low-intelligence individuals, as opposed to other companies (e.g. Enterprise) which generally only hires college-grads. This also applies to their corporate offices.

With all that being said, if you want a good price, don't care about quality, or you're going to commit any illegal activities, use Fox Rent a Car. I say this in the most straight-forward, non-slanderous way possible because at the end of the day I still rent from them. It's just more reassuring knowing the context in which you should or shouldn't rent from them, as opposed to other companies.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA, TrueBlue, Miles and More
I can't correlate to others with renting at FOX.

I used to rent either at enterprise or national before, but the last few times I gave two different companies with glaring difference in the cost at SEA.

I only book economy every time. I don't need a bigger car, neither do I want to drive a bigger one.

First two times, in the last three instances, I rented with Payless. First time I rented with payless, they were out of economy cars. Instead of giving me a free upgrade, the guy stated that because I showed up an hour later than my reservation time, I will have to purchase an upgrade. The guy made me purchase the upgrade at the current rate, more than double to a Hyndai Accent. I had to do so, because at that time that was the best rate available at any other renal agency.

The next time, they gave me a Fiat 500, which to say the least is one of the worst cars I have looked at. My wife hates the way it looks, I hate the size, and the way it looks. When asked for a different one, they just said they had no other cars that were economy and I will have to pay up if I wanted an upgrade. This car barely sits two people comfortably. It has a rear seat but you can only fit two kids there. And you can only fit a couple of small bags in the trunk, no suitcases.

So, I decided to book at Fox this time and had a pleasant experience.
While walking into the lot, I saw that they had those Fiat 500s parked and was worried I might be offered those. As soon as I walked up to the counter I mentioned that I do not want and if there is anyway she could give me any other car. The lady hesitated a bit, then almost gave me a Nissan Versa, keyed in the number into her computer and then said, "Crap this needs an oil change". Then hesitated a couple of seconds and said "I have one more suv, do you want it?" I said I don't mind taking anything other than that Fiat. She gave me an almost new Hyundai Santa Fe with 2000 miles on it.

It drove perfect. No issues whatsoever.

I am going to visit this weekend again and am renting with FOX only. I already mentioned to her that evening that I'll see her on Friday and she was like I'll surprise you with a nicer car if I will have one that late in the night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.