Wiki Posts
Search

What to do if convertible has inadequate trunk space

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2012, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
What to do if convertible has inadequate trunk space

I have a convertible lined up next week at Fox Rent A Car LAX (which advises it will provide "Ford Mustang or equivalent"). I assumed that a convertible would be pretty short on trunk space so my wife and I were going to bring one suitcase each - one larger 30" suitcase to check and one carry on.

Today I looked into things a little further (stumbled upon this clever youtube video that shows what putting luggage into a convertible Mustang's trunk looks like - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTM2BQdOt5M ) and I have to admit that I'm getting a little nervous.

Does anyone have first hand experience with convertible Mustangs? Will it be possible to get one medium/large size bag and a carry on into the trunk? I guess if we're hard up we could just put one bag in the back seat but we were planning on stopping to shop on the way to Palm Springs later in the trip and I would not want to just leave the suitcase under the soft-top.

Also, does anyone know if we would have any chance of using the convertible in Los Angeles and then coming back to the airport to switch it for something more practical for the remainder of the trip to Palm Springs and San Diego (virtually anything would do, so long as it can securely accommodate a few bags). Part of me thinks that the rental company would be happy to give me a cheaper car and get the convertible back to rent out to someone else, but I wonder if they won't try to extort some kind of additional fees out of me.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Old May 10, 2012, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
See if they have something on the lot with a sunroof, trust me you'll be just as happy.
Old May 10, 2012, 8:57 pm

Programs: BA
throw it in the back seat.
Old May 10, 2012, 10:36 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by heraclitus
I have a convertible lined up next week at Fox Rent A Car LAX (which advises it will provide "Ford Mustang or equivalent"). I assumed that a convertible would be pretty short on trunk space so my wife and I were going to bring one suitcase each - one larger 30" suitcase to check and one carry on.

Today I looked into things a little further (stumbled upon this clever youtube video that shows what putting luggage into a convertible Mustang's trunk looks like - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTM2BQdOt5M ) and I have to admit that I'm getting a little nervous.

Does anyone have first hand experience with convertible Mustangs? Will it be possible to get one medium/large size bag and a carry on into the trunk? I guess if we're hard up we could just put one bag in the back seat but we were planning on stopping to shop on the way to Palm Springs later in the trip and I would not want to just leave the suitcase under the soft-top.

Also, does anyone know if we would have any chance of using the convertible in Los Angeles and then coming back to the airport to switch it for something more practical for the remainder of the trip to Palm Springs and San Diego (virtually anything would do, so long as it can securely accommodate a few bags). Part of me thinks that the rental company would be happy to give me a cheaper car and get the convertible back to rent out to someone else, but I wonder if they won't try to extort some kind of additional fees out of me.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
With regards to switching cars, what you can do is make two separate reservations. One for the convertible & the other for the "practical" car. I doubt rental car agencies would be eager to swap cars for no good reason (ie: mechanical issues) even if you are willing to pay for a convertible while driving a compact.

LAX
Old May 11, 2012, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hakzai
throw it in the back seat.
As far as I can tell, this will be the likeliest outcome... the only time the luggage would be in the car would be on the drive from the airport to the hotel and between different hotels. I did have the one outlet mall stop planned between Redondo Beach and Palm Springs but if I can't stash the luggage somewhere secure I guess we'll just have to forgo it.

I'm looking forward to renting a convertible although these storage space hassles have me thinking that next time I'll just go back to renting my more typical full-size car or SUV!
Old May 31, 2012, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Turns out it was a wise move to cut down from 1 large checked suitcase and 2 carry-on rolling suitcases to 1 of each.

We were able to squeeze in the two bags as well as a duffle and some shopping bags, but that pretty much squeezed it to the limit. There is no way we could have fit three suitcases in there (unless maybe they were all of the carry-on variety).

One other thing I learned about convertibles is that the back seat is a total fiction. For all intents and purposes an adult cannot fit back there. It's extra storage space and that's about it. (The only reason I mention this is because a lot of people asked the question when I was googling the trunk space issue, e.g. 4 people going from Europe to Florida and wondering if they could all fit in the Mustang they rented... uhh, nope.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.