Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Enterprise Actually Getting Ready To Start a Loyalty Program?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Is Enterprise Actually Getting Ready To Start a Loyalty Program?

Just got this email from Enterprise:

We're rolling out the brand-new Enterprise Plus™ program on March 1, 2012. With every qualifying rental, you'll be able to earn points in Enterprise Plus — points that never expire as long as you rent once within a two-year period. These points are redeemable for free rental days for any available car on any day with no blackout dates.

What else is in store? A whole lot more. Besides free rental days, your new membership benefits include:

• New recognition levels based on rental activity
• Members-only check-in at participating locations
• A dedicated phone number for expedited service
• Special offers when you subscribe to Email Extras at enterprise.com

Look for your new membership credentials to arrive by mail soon.
FWIW, the "Enterprise Plus" program has been around for a while but until now it offered no loyalty incentives...it simply got you a faster check-in experience at some locations (but none of the ones I typically use, so it was pretty much worthless to me). But the program offered no incentive to stick with Enterprise, i.e. any kind of points/miles earning opportunity. This now sounds like they're jumping into the world of points. I'll withhold judgement until I see more details, though.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:36 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
I've found Enterprise Plus to be very useful with the priority counters at leisure destinations and big airports like LAX. Now we'll have to wait and see if the new Plus points/perks will be more valuable than crediting to Amtrak Guest Rewards.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:38 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
I wonder if the ability to reserve using Emerald number will continue to exist? Actually, its been so long since I used ERAC I don't know if this perk still exists.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:56 pm

Yes, that perk still exists: enterprise.com/loyalty

And I predict it will continue to exist, because of the significant, yet sometimes overlooked, differences between redeeming free days at National vs Enterprise. In short, Enterprise is not a substitute for National.

Ex, National does one-ways. Look at any major airport location and count the states on the license plates. (Usually not as varied as Hertz, but still an assortment.) Enterprise neighborhood stores do not allow this to be booked online, if/when they allow it. So you can't one-way to another neighborhood store, or to/from an airport, the way you can with Hertz.

National has a choice program. Enterprise has such a tight fleet, they often have to bring over an old, high mileage car in your class from a nearby location. Obviously they only have this one car to give you.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Now we'll have to wait and see if the new Plus points/perks will be more valuable than crediting to Amtrak Guest Rewards.
Well, that's true they have started offering Amtrak points, but I've found that if you take the Amtrak points you aren't eligible for any discounts, e.g. the current month's 15% off promotion. And since my rentals are for work, I can't justify purposely paying a higher rate in order to get Amtrak points, which only benefit me personally.

If the newly revamped Enterprise Plus program will allow you to apply discounts in addition to earning points, then I'm all for it.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 1:21 am
btr

Programs: IHG, MP, Enterprise+
I've found that I can get very competitive prices with ERAC, which provides an incentive for staying with them.

With a loyalty program that offers free rental days, I'll find myself very hard pressed to find a reason to rent from anyone else.

I'm looking forward to seeing the details of the new program.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 5:54 am

Let's see if Enterprise free days can be used for one-ways at the airports where they are bookable, and if the free days will knock out just the base rate, or also the separate drop charge.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 9:15 am
btr

T&C

Pardon the long quote. I don't see a link on their website (yet). Here's what popped up when I logged in today. In short, book via their website only, cars must be returned to the originating facility, and "standard" rentals only (insurance rentals, and rentals at gov't and employee rates don't count).

Terms and Conditions

Member Qualifications

Membership in the Enterprise Plus program ("Program") is available to individuals (not corporations or other entities) who are at least twenty-one (21) years old that complete one of the following steps to enroll as an Enterprise Plus member ( each a 'Member"):

Visit enterprise.com and complete the "Create Your Account" form.
Contact Customer Service at 1-866-507-6222 Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Central Time to enroll; then create an online password at enterprise.com "Create Your Password."
Open an account through a branch agent at any Enterprise location in the U.S., Canada or Puerto Rico, and then create an online password at enterprise.com "Create Your Password".

Members must provide their full name to participate in the Enterprise Plus program. Full name is defined as the given name (first name), middle initial or middle name, if any, and family or surname (last name). The member's full name must be identical to the full name on the member's driver's license.

Members may not maintain more than one Enterprise Plus account. Only one individual may be enrolled per Enterprise Plus account. In the event more than one account number is assigned to the same individual, the duplicate account may be terminated, and Enterprise Plus Points, Qualifying Rentals and Qualifying Rental Days (see definitions below), may be transferred to the remaining account (excluding any enrollment or other bonuses that can only be earned a single time per member as specified in promotion terms and conditions).

Generally, membership in the Program ("Membership") commences on the date the Member completes any of the enrollment methods ("Enrollment Date") and remains in effect until the Member terminates enrollment in the Program unless Enterprise terminates a Membership earlier, which Enterprise may do at any time for any reason, including, but not limited to, fraudulent activity and an inactive account. Termination of a Membership is effective when it is entered into the Enterprise system, and Enterprise shall provide notice to the terminated Member using the methods described below
Member Account & Activity Information

Members may log in to enterprise.com at any time to view and manage their account activity and profile information by linking to the "My Account" page.
Member Number

Members will receive an Enterprise Plus membership number ("Member Number") upon successful enrollment, which is personal to the Member and may not be used for rentals by any individual, corporation or entity other than the Member. The Member Number must be applied to all rental activity for it to be tracked toward program benefits and awards described herein.
Credit Card Information

Members are not required to provide credit card information to enroll in the Enterprise Plus program, but may do so as a convenience provided that the name and address for the credit card must match the information provided by the Member during enrollment. By furnishing credit card information to Enterprise, Members: (a) represent that they are the individual whose name appears on the card or that they are the authorized user of the card; (b) direct Enterprise to store all such information in accordance with the Enterprise Rent-A-Car Privacy Policy, which is incorporated by reference; (c) agree to be legally bound by the Enterprise Rent-A-Car Privacy Policy; and (d) authorize and instruct Enterprise to charge any rental car charges incurred by the Member to that credit card. Member credit card information will pre-populate at the time of rental. For their protection, Members will still need to show their credit card at the counter for validation.
Member Communications

By participating in the Program, Members agree to communicate with Enterprise using electronic means. Electronic communications may be delivered to the last electronic mail address on file with Enterprise. All communications in electronic format will be considered to be "in writing" and to have been received no later than five (5) business days after dissemination, whether or not the Member received or retrieved the communication. Enterprise reserves the right but assumes no obligation to provide communications in paper format, using the Member's most recent address on file with Enterprise. Members expressly agree that any notice due under the terms of the Program, including any notices required by applicable law as a result of Member providing any debit card information to Enterprise, may be given in email form to the email address provided by the Member and on file with Enterprise. Without limiting anything contained herein, Member expressly agrees that it is the Member's sole responsibility to keep his or her email address current and up-to-date and that Enterprise may reasonably assume that any email sent by Enterprise to the email address on file will be received by the Member. Regardless of any language contained in any email, consent to receive program and transactional communications electronically will continue to be valid until the Member revokes consent by terminating Membership in the Program except that Members may choose at any time to opt-in and opt-out of receiving electronic communications that contain only marketing messages.
Qualifying Rentals and Rental Days

"Qualifying Rentals" must meet the following:

"Paid Rentals": An Enterprise brand rental during which the Member has paid time and mileage (base) charges for one or more rental day. A rental with one or more free rental days will count as a Qualified Rental as long as there is a minimum of one paid rental day.
A rental that was picked up from and returned to the same Enterprise Rent-A-Car location in the fifty (50) U.S., Canada or Puerto Rico
A rental that has a valid Member Number applied to it at time of reservation, regardless of booking channel. The full name on the member profile must match the full name on the primary driver?s license on the rental agreement. For Qualifying Rentals that are not associated with a Member Number, Members may request retroactive credit for up to six (6) months from rental return date.

"Qualifying Rental Days" are paid rental days associated with a Qualifying Rental. When points are redeemed for a free rental day, it does not count as a Qualifying Rental Day. For example, a four-day rental consisting of two paid rental days and two free rental days will count as one Qualifying Rental and two Qualifying Rental Days.

Qualifying Rentals and Qualifying Rental Days do not include the following types of rentals:

insurance replacement rentals; dealer replacement, body shop or fleet replacement rentals.
Rentals that were included as part of a Tour or Travel package
Pre-paid rentals that were booked through a third party, including (but not limited to) third-party online OTAs
Rentals using government rate codes or a government contract ID
Discounted rentals by employees of Enterprise Holdings, Inc. and any of its parent company, subsidiaries, and affiliates and their family members who are eligible to receive an employee discount

Membership Tiers

Members can attain their membership tier level based upon the number of Qualifying Rentals within a calendar year. Members can also attain Gold and Platinum membership tier levels based upon Qualifying Rental Days within a calendar year. Extra hours or partial day charges (hourly rates) will not count toward Qualifying Rental Days. Membership tier levels are determined as follows:
Membership Tier Level Qualifying Rentals Qualifying Rental Days
Plus - -
Silver 6-11 -
Gold 12-23 40-84
Platinum 24+ 85+

Rentals from January 1 through the applicable Member's Enrollment Date will count toward the Member's Qualifying Rentals and Qualifying Rental Days for the calendar year in which a new Member enrolls, even though a Member Number was not included in the reservation. Upon enrollment, only rentals with an associated Member Number will qualify toward membership tier levels.

Membership tier levels will be adjusted throughout each calendar year based upon Qualifying Rentals and Qualifying Rental Days posted to the Member account with a rental return date within that calendar year. As Members qualify for a new membership tier level, Enterprise will send a new membership card and program overview materials to the Member based on the higher membership tier level. Around February of each year, beginning in 2013, Enterprise will send new membership materials to Members whose qualifying rental activity in the prior calendar year was insufficient to maintain their membership tier level.

Members will have access to special members-only check-in at participating Enterprise Rent-A-Car locations, primarily located at major airports.

Upon qualifying for an elite membership tier level, a Member will be eligible for the corresponding membership tier level benefits through February of the year following the qualifying calendar year. For example, a Member who qualifies for Gold on October 1 will receive benefits through February of the following calendar year, plus an additional 12 months, for a total of 17 months.

Additional benefits for Silver, Gold and Platinum membership tier levels are as follows:
Enterprise Plus Benefit Description
Free Car-Class Upgrade Certificates Per Program Year At the start of each program year (March), or upon achieving a higher membership tier level, Members will be emailed certificates for Space-Available One-Car-Class Upgrades (up to a Full-size vehicle) valid on paid rentals at all Enterprise Rent-A-Car locations and redeemable at the counter:

Silver: 1 per program year
Gold: 2 per program year
Platinum: 4 per program year

Dedicated Phone Number For Expedited Service Each elite tier will have access to its own exclusive phone number to provide expedited service.
Enterprise Plus Points (Effective March 1, 2012)

Members must first activate their ability to earn Enterprise Plus Points ("Activate Points"). To Activate Points, Members may log in to enterprise.com and click on "Yes" by Activate Points on the home page or the My Account page. The date of activation is referred to as the Member's "Activation Date".

Upon activation, Members will earn one (1) point for every qualifying U.S. dollar ("USD") spent on a Qualifying Rental with a rental return date on or after the Activation Date. For rentals in Canada, the Canadian dollar will be converted into USD at time of rental return. Qualifying Rentals returned after enrollment and prior to the Member's Activation Date will not earn Points but will count as Qualifying Rentals good toward elite membership tier level.

"Qualifying U.S. Dollars Spent" is defined as time and mileage (base rate), paid upgrades, and additional add-ons (such as GPS, ski racks, car racks), less any discounts or credits; and excludes all taxes and surcharges, vehicle license fees, airport-related fees, insurance costs, fuel purchase option, and refueling. Points will be rounded to the nearest USD. The calculation to determine Qualifying Dollars Spent and corresponding points will be done at the sole discretion of Enterprise.

Silver, Gold and Platinum members will earn additional points on Qualifying Rentals as follows:
Silver Members: 10% Points Bonus
Gold Members: 15% Points Bonus
Platinum Members: 20% Points Bonus

Points will not be earned for Qualifying Rentals tied to corporate IDs for corporate accounts that do not allow employees to earn currency associated with reward programs.

When a Member earns one (1) or more points for a Qualifying Rental, it will keep their points balance intact for the next 24 months.

Members may transfer between 500 and 7,500 points, in increments of 500, to another Enterprise Plus Member. A maximum of one transfer per calendar year from an Enterprise Plus account and a maximum of one transfer per calendar year into an Enterprise Plus account are allowed. To be eligible to receive a points transfer, the recipient Member's account must be activated prior to the transfer. Points transferred will assume the expiration date associated with any points balance in the recipient's Enterprise Plus account or three (3) months from date of transfer, whichever is greater. This date may be extended 24 months as long as the Member earns one (1) or more points for a Qualifying Rental prior to the date occurring.
Free Rental Days; Restrictions

Members may redeem Enterprise Plus Points for Free Rental Days on rentals in the 50 U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico, booked at enterprise.com. Free Rental Days may not be redeemed for the following types of rentals: (a) one-way rentals where the pick-up and return location are not the same; (b) insurance replacement rentals; dealer replacement, body shop or fleet replacement rentals; (c) Tour or Travel packages; (d) Prepaid rentals booked through internet sites other than enterprise.com; (d) rentals using government rate codes or a government contract ID; and (e) discounted rentals by employees of Enterprise Holdings, Inc. and any of its parent company, subsidiaries or affiliates, and their family members who are eligible to receive an employee discount . In addition, Members may not redeem any free rental days on rentals booked with corporate rates, but may redeem free rental days at the regular retail rates.

There may be times when an Enterprise Rent-A-Car location requires a Member to call for availability. In these circumstances, Free Rental Days may not be redeemed, since they must be redeemed through enterprise.com. Free Rental Days may not be redeemed for rentals booked through Enterprise Reservations, Enterprise branch locations, travel agencies or any other booking channel other than enterprise.com. Free Rental Days may not be combined with other coupons, offers or discounted rates.

Points may be redeemed for up to seven (7) free rental days ("Free Rental Days"). Points required for each Free Rental Day will vary depending on the combination of the rental pickup location, car class and time period.

Free Rental Day Awards apply to time and mileage (base rate) only. Free Rental Days are non-transferable. Use of Free Rental Days does not exclude members from (i) extra hourly or excess mileage charges; (ii) taxes, assessments, use fees or other governmentally imposed, authorized or permitted surcharges or pass-throughs; (iii) license recoupment fees, airport fees and concession recoupment fees; (iv) service charges and fees; (v) vehicle license recovery fees; (vi) damage waiver, the cost of optional insurance products, fuel charges, optional upgrades, underage driver's fees, infant seats or other optional items. Payment for each of these items shall be the sole responsibility of the member. Member is responsible for all fees and taxes.

The value of a Free Rental Day will vary by rental. To calculate the value of the Free Rental Day, Enterprise will determine the average daily base rate by taking the largest time period calculation as part of the Qualifying Rental and dividing it by the number of rental days in that time period. For example, for a two-day rental with a daily rate of $36.00 and an extra hourly charge of $12, the total base rate for the rental is ($36.00 X 2) + $12 = $84.00 / 2 days = $42; therefore, $42 will be credited for one Free Rental Day. For a six-day rental, the member will receive a weekly rate. If the weekly base rate is $250, the average daily rate is calculated as $250 / 6 days = $41.67, which will be credited for one Free Rental Day.

Members may determine how many points are required to redeem for each Award by visiting enterprise.com and clicking on Redeem Points and entering rental pickup and return dates and times and pickup location, and then selecting a vehicle.

Points will automatically be deducted from a Member's account upon completion of a redemption request.

At any time prior to rental pickup date, Members may choose to modify or cancel the redemption rental reservation on enterprise.com. For cancellations prior to the rental pickup date, points will automatically be re-deposited into the Member's account. For modifications, depending on the change, points will be automatically added or deducted from the Member's account. If a modified redemption rental requires additional points, and the Member does not have sufficient points to complete the new reservations (based on points already redeemed for the reservation plus any additional points balance), the Member will have the option to maintain the existing reservation with no changes, cancel the reservation, or modify the reservation for a rental redemption that is eligible based on the Member's existing points balance.

For redemption rentals that were not picked up prior to the rental pickup date (a "no-show"), points will not be automatically re-deposited. Instead, if a Member was a no-show for a rental, the Member must visit enterprise.com, My Account and then Account Activity to request a re-deposit for the unused redemption rental within 6 months from the rental pick-up date. Members that fail to request a re-deposit within such 6 month period shall forfeit such points and waive any claim in connection with such forfeiture.
General Program Terms and Conditions

Terms and benefits of the Program are subject to change at any time. Subject to any applicable laws, Enterprise reserves the right to terminate, restrict, suspend or otherwise alter these Program Terms and Conditions and/or a Member's Membership in such Program by notice to Member in accordance with Member Communications section above. The Program is void where prohibited or restricted by law.

"Enterprise Plus," "Enterprise" and all associated trademarks, logos and service marks, along with the contents, structure and features of the Program, are the exclusive property of Enterprise Holdings, Inc. and its various third-party partners, and nothing contained in the Program Terms and Conditions or by Member's enrollment or participation in the Program should be construed as granting, by implication, estoppel, or otherwise, any license, interest or right in or to any of the foregoing.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 2:14 pm

So it gets worse:

It's based on $ spent, like Hertz, not # of rentals, like associate company National.

And it's not a super-duper-value-buster deal like National and sometimes Hertz free days can be: low number of rentals or points to redeem for the most expensive car classes on the most expensive days in the most expensive cities. Instead, the Enterprise system adapts to how many points are required, based on the retail price of a corresponding paid rental, JetBlue style.

By contrast, you can join Emerald Club and earn National credits with Enterprise. Okay, if you don't live near an airport or are not flying in, you might have to travel out of your way to redeem National free days. But other than that, why would anyone choose to earn points under the new Enterprise program?

Last edited by Auto Enthusiast; Jan 31, 2012 at 8:13 pm
Old Feb 1, 2012, 11:55 am

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Presidents Club,National EE, Hilton honors Gold,hyatt Plat,MP Silver
To those who do sign up and has a es acct. be careful as I have had a few times the csr was suppose to add my ex number but instead added the damn ep acct. then I have to call and manually get my credits added to national

The only use I have for enterprise is there cheap weekend rates so I can pad my exec status with national. Enterprise is the Walmart of rental companies, if you need basic transport they have you covered

(iPhone rant)
Old Feb 16, 2012, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Interesting...just got an email from Enterprise saying I was being awarded a "Gold" level membership in their program, which starts next month. This entitles me to a 15% bonus on qualifying points. ^

To get to the "gold" level you normally need 12 rentals (or 40 rental days). If you look retroactively over the past year, then yes I would qualify for gold. But I figured the elite levels would only be achieved based on rentals after the program officially launches next month. So kudos to Enterprise for recognizing I have already rented there a lot.

On the other hand, maybe everybody is going to be awarded a Gold level membership to start things off?
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:24 am
btr

Originally Posted by fairviewroad
On the other hand, maybe everybody is going to be awarded a Gold level membership to start things off?
I have proof of two things:
1. you're incorrect, and
2. I apparently have less of a life than you do.
I've been awarded Platinum in the letter that I received, and unfortunately, I've "earned" it.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 6:24 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Delta Silver, Hilton Silver
"good for laughs, not for points"

When you sort through the details, this new program is pretty worthless. Here is a great write up on the subject.

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/rapidt...ot-for-points/
Old Feb 28, 2012, 8:30 am
btr

Originally Posted by WestMi
When you sort through the details, this new program is pretty worthless. Here is a great write up on the subject.

Thanks for the link - interesting summary of the new program.

For myself, I'll take the glass-half-full view, however: Enterprise's rates are almost always the best around for me, and the new benefits are better than what we had.

If their rates weren't consistently low, then I'd have to place more emphasis on the loyalty program, but if they increase the perks too much, they'd have to raise their rates to cover the cost, and I'd rather not see that happen, so I'll take the lower rates, and be happy with what I get.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WestMi

Well, I should be flattered that this blogger linked to the thread that I started. But as with many travel bloggers, this guy is only examining whether the program is any good for him.

When I rent from Enterprise, the location I use has a nominal "vehicle licensing fee" that's generally less than 50 cents a day. That's the only charge I ever incur above and beyond the base rate. So his line about "easily half or more of your spend" being ineligible is not applicable for me. His points about rentals that are part of a travel package or booked through a 3rd-party being ineligible also doesn't apply. The ban on redeeming for one-way rentals doesn't really matter to me. And so on.

Obviously it's not a perfect program but where I typically rent, Budget/Hertz/Avis tend to have consistently higher rates than Enterprise. So if I get a free rental day once or twice a year where I did not previously, then it's a net gain.

As with everything, YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.