Winter tyre issue in Germany

Old Sep 12, 11, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: EY Plat, IHG Plat Amb
Winter tyre issue in Germany

After my experience with german car rental companies i am now going prepared this year!

Is there an honest German car rental company available who doesnt overcharge for winter tyres?

I am even willing the pay the ''normal'' Austrian charge of abour EUR 2 per day, but not the German robbery charge of up to EUR 20 per day.
(as mentioned before; for tyres already fitted on the vehicle you rent!)

Please tell me where to go.
Old Sep 12, 11, 1:20 pm

Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
If you find one let me know! It is crazy that Sixt almost double the price of a weeks rental by wanting €20 a day, Hertz are a bit better. Untill now I have booked with Hertz without winter tyres and they have mostly been fitted,on the one time they weren't they did not have any cars with them ! Last Winter I read about people being refused a car unless they paid the extra so maybe that will no longer work
Old Sep 12, 11, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Daily rates:

Sixt = EUR 12.50
Europcar = EUR 9.00
Hertz = EUR 9.00
Avis does not indicate (at least i cant find it on their int. site)

Lets hope for a very mild winter this year and tell them all to get stuffed.
Old Sep 13, 11, 8:05 am

Isn't it required by law in Germany that you have at least intermediates on your car? I would think car rental agencies fit intermediates on their cars. I only rented a car twice in the last few winters but all of them had winter tyres since it was snowing heavily then.
So I would just go without the surcharge.
Old Sep 13, 11, 3:37 pm

Miles4all ,Sixt quoted me 134 for winter tyres for a 7 day rental and Hertz were 90.
I heard of people being refused cars last year if they did not pay the extra that was only in a couple of locations, guess we will have to see what happens this Winter
Old Sep 13, 11, 7:38 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, WN CP
I'm very curious about this issue myself, as I will be traveling to MUC in mid October...will I be required to get the winter tires, and would it be a good idea to get them?
Old Sep 14, 11, 1:24 am
Original Poster

Dont book them, certainly not for October!

The law only states that you need to have them during wintery conditions. So October in Western Europe should be fine.

It is just my question how to reach more international travellers to collectively refuse to pay for this travesty. Any ideas

It is and remains high-way robbery! As you said; EUR 134 for 7 days
Old Sep 14, 11, 11:20 am

well that's why I am saying don't pay for it in the first place. My reasoning is: the rental agency has to make sure that they rent you a car that meets the safety requirements in Germany and it just so happens that one of the requirements during the winter period is a set of intermediates or winter tires otherwise you might not be obliged to fulfill the contract and rent the car. However this is my personal opinion and I haven't actually checked the law in that.
Old Sep 19, 11, 7:51 am
Original Poster

If I would actually live in Europe, I would rent a car in Germany, drive to the nearest police station, ask them to please fine me for the wrong tyres and take the rental company to court (because I refuse to pay the fine of course). This way we can force a German judge to create precedent.

Any volunteers?
Old Sep 25, 11, 5:18 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by miles4all View Post
If I would actually live in Europe, I would rent a car in Germany, drive to the nearest police station, ask them to please fine me for the wrong tyres and take the rental company to court (because I refuse to pay the fine of course). This way we can force a German judge to create precedent.

Any volunteers?
Actually, First responsibilty is at the Driver, Not the owner so: Bad idea
Old Sep 26, 11, 3:17 pm

and you seriously think a stock market listed company has not checked by a lawyer if the way they are doing things regarding winter tires is legal?

obviously, it is a ripoff, but there is nothing you can do but cancel the reservation if you don't want to pay for the tires.

most likely to avoid angry customers, rates will be changed this winter, so that you don't see the high price anymore, but you are still paying it. avis has announced that already.
Old Oct 8, 11, 10:15 pm

not tyre but tires

just saying. this is a US board
Old Oct 9, 11, 5:20 pm

Since when was membership of flyertalk restricted to the USA?
Old Oct 9, 11, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by ninjalad View Post
Since when was membership of flyertalk restricted to the USA?
Wrong thread? Nobody mentioned anything about memberships. #wheninromedowhattheromansdo
Old Oct 10, 11, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Stay on topic please. FT is ''The World's biggest frequent traveller community'' not US only. So let's us talk about overpriced tyres here please.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: