Community
Wiki Posts
Search

recommendations for 6 month rental

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2011, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

recommendations for 6 month rental

Hi, I'm new here. Been reading a bit, but haven't found a similar situation.
I need to rent a car for up to 6 full months. I am not american and dont
have American insurance. i do have American credit cards.
What is the best strategy for this?
get independent 3rd party insurance for 6 months and then use the credit card CDW?
just go with a rental company that specializes in this type of business? (do they exist?)
Which company should I use?
I need the most basic/lowest cost car.
thanks!
-gk
Old Aug 8, 2011, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I think most U.S. cards only cover up to 4 weeks and there's language that prevents consecutive rentals. Some Canadian card provide 48 days coverage.

It is fairly expensive but a buy-back deal on a French car (available directly from the big 3 French brands) may be your best bet. You get a new car and full coverage.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

hi, thanks for the info, but can you clarify what is a buy back deal?
I will be in san diego, CA. (i forgot to mention that, sorry...dont know if its relevant to the buy back deal)
thanks again,
-gk
Old Aug 11, 2011, 1:53 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
You might want to try talking to some local Enterprise offices. Ask to speak to the branch manager and explain your situation. Most places would love monthly business and they might be willing to negotiate with you.

Also, I work at a Ford Dealership in North Carolina and we have our own independent rental department. Do a Google or Yellow Pages search for the area to see if other dealerships there do the same thing. Again, speak to their manager and see what they'd offer you.

Good luck!
Old Aug 11, 2011, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

thank you. I will try both. Right now I have a one week reservation with enterprise. Once there I will see if I can negotiate a long term deal with them.
Will also look for dealerships, though this is the first time i hear of that.
thanks,
-gk
Old Aug 11, 2011, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Sorry, for some reason I thought you intended to rent in Europe and not in the U.S. While the CC coverage may still apply, the buy and sell back deal doesn't.

The buy and sell-back deal is a French tax-inspired measure (cars pre-owned for at least 17 days are sold at a lower tax rate than new cars).
Old Aug 16, 2011, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

It was more my fault that yours...i forgot to write down were I was going
I tried negotiating with an Enterprise branch manager and she said NO.
I am still looking for an option. I might simply buy an old car and resell
it after 6 months. Hopefully it works out.
thanks.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 12:44 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gkrawiec
It was more my fault that yours...i forgot to write down were I was going
I tried negotiating with an Enterprise branch manager and she said NO.
I am still looking for an option. I might simply buy an old car and resell
it after 6 months. Hopefully it works out.
thanks.
Thanks for the update. That sounds like a very shortsighted branch manager. Guaranteed income and utilization on a vehicle? what's not to like?
Old Aug 17, 2011, 12:55 pm

Buying a used car is a good idea but do you want to be stuck with the task of selling it back?

If you're going to be driving a fair bit and have the money you should probably get a certified used car, in case you are planning on driving a bit you don't want to chance having to repair the car, which can be very costly. Don't forget most states levy a property tax on cars, so that would be extra expense on top of registration, inspection etc.

If you can avoid buying/selling you probably should. Have you tried some of the "budget" type rentals that rent out used cars maybe they will be more flexible.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Hi, still havent found a solid option. Right now borrowed a car for a few days. I will look into certified used cars and also into used car rentals. Thanks for the tips.
-gk
Old Aug 18, 2011, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by CMK10
Thanks for the update. That sounds like a very shortsighted branch manager. Guaranteed income and utilization on a vehicle? what's not to like?
Indeed.

Have you tried other Enterprise locations in your area? Each has a different branch manager.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Havent checked other locations. Will do that this weekend.
I was surprised how different the pricing is per enterprise location.
thanks for the tip.
-gk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.