Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any experience with Payless?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2010, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Any experience with Payless?

Title says it all. I've never rented with them. Are they reliable? It seems like they don't have any affiliation (points, miles, or discounts) with airlines or hotels, or do they?
Old May 16, 2010, 11:27 am

Programs: Caesars-Diamond Hilton-Diamond IHG-Plat MGM-Gold Wyndham-Diamond Hertz-PresCircle National-Exec
If you do a search on this forum you will find several threads with reviews and experiences with Payless.

Basically, I think the concensus is they are not as good (less inventory, longer wait times to get your car, try to sell you everything you don't want, etc) as the big boys (Hertz, Avis, Alamo, National, etc) but sometimes do have decent enough prices to make it worth the inconvenience.

I have used them twice in Las Vegas but only when I saved a significant amount ($20 or more for a rental). Since, even with a reservation, you must wait in line and go thru a desk agent to get a car; it took me much longer (45-60 minutes each time) to get my car than my usuals (National, Dollar, and Alamo) where I go straight to the lot or the Kiosk. For $20 or more I might use them again but, then again, maybe not as I hate to need to get insistent to stop the desk agent from going thru his attempt to sell me an upgrade, insurance, gas, etc that I don't want. They must get paid a commission on these things as a simple "no" doesn't stop them from continuing to try.
Old May 23, 2010, 8:00 am

Payless: First time was also the last time

My first and only experience with Payless, at the Montreal airport this weekend, was a disaster.

The location didn't have cars, despite the fact that a bunch of us waiting had confirmed reservations. I was told the couple before me had been waiting two hours; my estimated wait time was half an hour.

Didn't help matters that Payless' little office was a mess, with a grungy-looking attendant in jeans and t-shirt (his soothing attempt at customer service: "You'll have to wait like everyone else").

I fled in a cab back to the airport - Payless is located at a hotel on the grounds, but a short drive away - and headed to Enterprise. As always, the guys there were courteous and friendly, and got me out the door in three minutes.

This is what I call the Spirit Airlines lesson: It's worth paying a higher price to avoid dealing with certain travel providers.
Old May 29, 2010, 10:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
My experience is that most locations are off airport, and once you get there, it becomes stressful to get the car (mine was not well maintained), and they seems to be worse than timeshare salesmen with their insurance upsells.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.