Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Service on China Air for upcoming flight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2009, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, SPG P
Coolfish1103 (above) got the meals right.

Boarding the flights is very disorganized. They tried to do it by row but they were not too successful.

YVR-TPE (A340-300)
On arrival in TPE, connecting passengers go through another X-ray screening. Signs say that only liquids under 100ml are allowed, so be careful of what you purchase in duty free in YVR. There is duty free upstairs. You can purchase your large volume liquid items there, or wait to purchase on arrival in DEL. There are ham and cheese sandwiches available in the galleys (they are NOT served) between the meals, as well as juices, water, coffee and tea.

TPE-DEL (A330-300)
An additional veggie sandwich is served about 1hr before landing.

DEL-TPE (A330-300)
Restrict duty free purchases to under 100ml, per above. There is not much time to shop in TPE if your flight is delayed in arriving.

TPE-YVR (A340-300)
Dinner (chicken or curry lamb) is served right after take-off and breakfast about 3hrs before landing.

There was no power outlet available (we sat in the rear economy cabin for all legs) but lots to watch on the PTV.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 7:22 am

Programs: AA lifetime GOLD, but still an AA Baby compare to people here. CX nobody. BR Silver.
Boarding process is kind of lousy because CI's GA and FA don't want to let customer feel bad. Unforturnately, they just get most of people mad. This is always the poblem for CI. Customers always want something they don't deserve. Most of the time, CI FA will try to accomodate it. But it is still not right.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by IsleTraveller
How's your overall verdict about this trip?
Are you going to take China Airlines again?
Old Apr 3, 2009, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, SPG P
Coolfish1103
I will take China Air only if the price differential warrants it. We (there were 8 of us) were generally not happy with the inflight meal service and the boarding process. The entertainment options were good though.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 9:40 pm
Suspended

The time was that CI staff would have swung it but I feel the overall level of service is well below what it was even 2 or 3 years ago, the planes are well worn and even a blind man will see that. There is only talk of upgrading the cabins and now the emphasis is switching to getting more intra Asia business they really cant compete on long haul with the like so of CX QF SG etc
Old Apr 3, 2009, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA lifetime GOLD, but still an AA Baby compare to people here. CX nobody. BR Silver.
CI keeps reducing FA on board.
CI reduces FA based on load.
Also, for example, if they need 16 FAs for TPE to FRA and 15 FAs on the way back due to the load, CI will ask one FA flies back as passenger. By doing this CI will only need to pay 50% to that passenger FA. This is the way to save money but reduce the service.
Personal option. Even CI's service is worse than 2-3 years ago, it is still a lot better than US based airlines. Of course, CI can never compete with CX and SG.
My sister serves in CI as FA. I don't like the name of the airlines, but I do want the company doing good.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by yuchung5
Personal option. Even CI's service is worse than 2-3 years ago, it is still a lot better than US based airlines. Of course, CI can never compete with CX and SG.
But CI fare pricing is a lot cheaper than CX and SQ.

I just booked to fly HKG to BKK in C with CI next month. TG cancelled both its late morning and early afternoon departures from HKG to BKK. I do not want to get up at 5AM to catch the 8AM departure and the 2:30PM departure arrives BKK too late than I like. CI was the only late morning departure so I reluctantly chose that flight. Then I was surprised at the fare being only about half of what CX demanded and about 15% cheaper than TG's discounted business.

So the cheaper fare should be more than make up for the "inferior" food and service. For a 2.5-hour journey, it should be okay. If I remember, I shall return with a trip report after my flight.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 3:24 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, bmi, LH, UA, DL, AS, WN, AA, VX
How is CI from LAX-TPE in Y class? they are having great sales right now and the price difference is huge, but if the experience it really awful I would choose CX.

What are the load factors (in general), and the discounted offer does not allow for seat assignment before check-in, has anyone had experience with this?
Old Apr 5, 2009, 12:09 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
LAX-TPE v.v. Y shouldn't differ too much in CI and CX.
PTV is smaller, but still AVOD.
I think CX food is better than CI, FA services, I think they are about the same.
CX use to have superior snacks in galley when compared to CI, but it's getting slashed.
You can still get good seat assignments if you get to the airport early cause they block one side. However, if you are on tourist ticket then you are out of luck (sit in the back).
Old Apr 5, 2009, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by coolfish1103
You can still get good seat assignments if you get to the airport early cause they block one side. However, if you are on tourist ticket then you are out of luck (sit in the back).
Depending on fare type, advance seat and meal selections are available at CI's web site.

And CI is partner with DL Skymiles for points collection.

Last edited by Clipper801; Apr 5, 2009 at 8:28 pm
Old Apr 6, 2009, 4:04 am
Suspended

When ever I have compared CX to CI in the last 10 months CX is always cheaper dep from TPE in biz class so it makes no sense to go for shabby product on CI when CX is way better

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.