Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EVA F VS. top tier C class

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2007, 4:09 am
Original Poster

EVA F VS. top tier C class

Lookinf to fly from BKK to SFO in December and I have a booking on EVA for " first class" at a rate of about $3K US. This is comparable to top tier C class prices.

Which one of these options have the better service, seats etc. and which one would you fly?

I tried the seach function and maybe it's because I use opera as my browser, I get the " you must use at least 4 words in your search" result even when I use 10 words.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 5:31 am

Programs: SQ AA TK
Well, BR F class seats are quite dated. They have PTV but no AVOD and are still pair seats. F class service would definitely be more attentive and have better ground service. But the seat would likely to be not as comfortable as new C seats. If I were you, I would do more research on the F class product and then decide if I would go with F or C. If you go with C, you might want to try SQ new C seats on the 77W.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 7:57 am

Programs: UA 1K 3MM
Their F seats are dated, but I've found them quite comfortable. The pitch is quite good. Service is fine. Just don't expect CX or SQ.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 9:00 am

Programs: Peasant at large
Need to be sure which aircraft you're flying. If you're talking about F, I'm pretty sure it's the 744s so you're dealing with older generation equipment. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad at all just not as luxurious as the newer gear you find on many of the top tier C class. This includes both seats and IFE. Service is great on any of these top asian carriers.

I've flown 90% asian carriers with the occassional US carrier peppered in and everytime I had to do that it's been "bearable" at best. UA experiences were really crappy for me, NW was OK.

If you can get SQ C for the same price, I'd go with that. Apart from the incredible eye candy; the seats, AVOD, F&B and amenities are top notch. Seats a lie flat like F in EVA but newer and more comfy (IMHO).

Finally, you can accumulate FF miles with *A. EVA is primarily EVA or CO (with some limitations).
Old Aug 14, 2007, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Thaks everyone so far. Yes I have flown SQ C many times using their spacebed, just thought that maybe a lower tier F class product would provide more space, a full lie flat bed, and better service.

Is the new CI ( is it new?) F product any better than the EVA product? They seem to have personal screesn, but seem quite small at 6 inches.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 8:40 pm

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
F is being phased out. It is known as "Super First" and appears only on the "old" 747s. First is either at the front upstairs - 75" pitch or in the nose - 80". The same 747s also have "Super Business" as C and is either the rear upstairs, or all of upstairs, and is around 46". For HKG at least, and some other routes, but never BKK as far as I know, EVA use this aircraft but don't sell F. So you can get an F seat on a C ticket on these flights.

"Super" gets you personal TV - a range of channels, but no VOD/laptop power. Seats are nothing special but SuperFirst goes flat and horizontal - or near enough that I didn't notice the difference. They are pretty soft and I've had no problems sleeping on them. There really is bags of space. The massive pitch and 2-2 configuration means that if you're upstairs they'll only be a max of 7 other pax, if downstairs another 11 pax. Both cabins are really quiet with no through-traffic.

SuperBusiness doesn't go flat and is relatively cramped. But still the cabin is quiet.

These aircraft are scheduled on TPE/SFO until at least the end of the year.

EVA is replacing its old C/F products with a single C product called "Premium Laurel Class". 61", shell type seat. Flat, but not horizontal. Relatively hard. Most flyers regard this as an improvement on the SuperBusiness product. You get laptop power, VOD etc. Some would see it as better than SuperFirst too. But no way in my opinion. I can manage to sleep on the seat, but only just (have to take it out of flat mode to stop myself sliding down - lie on my front and fasten the belt behind me!) Staffing ratios are not as good, the cabin is more noisy as FA march up and down, and with discounting, you just seem to get more PAX who would otherwise be in economy (or deluxe) - sorry to be snobby...

Premium Laurel appears on all 777s, 330s and is being introduced on 747s.

BKK/TPE has a mix right now, but I think its no problem if you get an F fare and end up in C for the short BKK/TPE hop. These were the most obvious connections I found:

BR212 BKK 1215 TPE 1655 (old style 747)
BR18 TPE 1950 SFO 1620 (old style 747)

BR27 SFO 1610 TPE 2200+1 (old style 747)
BR75 TPE 2315+1 BKK 0200+2 (old style 747)

BR17 SFO 0010 TPE 0600+1 (old style 747)
BR67 TPE 0920+1 BKK 1205+1 (new style 747)

Its strange, but on Seatcounter, BR67 shows "F" as being available - but I'm sure this is an aberration....

Sorry, cannot really compare SQ properly as my only recent experience is in Economy. Leaving aside airmile considerations, as dfs24 hints, if you can get their new 777 business product for the same or less as EVA's F, I'd go for that. Also go with SQ if food or VOD is important. Else I'd probably go with EVA's F. EVA's F food is OK, but SQ's C is bound to be better (whichever C you're in).

I've not flown CI for years.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Thaks Jimbo99. These are the flights that my TA has me booked on:

BR212 BKK 1215 TPE 1655 (old style 747)
BR18 TPE 1950 SFO 1620 (old style 747)

BR27 SFO 1610 TPE 2200+1 (old style 747)
BR75 TPE 2315+1 BKK 0200+2 (old style 747)

Looking at the CI schedule, it would allow me not to have a stopover in BKK ( as I am in Phuket), so am looking at that also, but these superfirst seats on BR sound fine with all the space.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 12:20 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by jimbo99
Premium Laurel appears on all 777s, 330s and is being introduced on 747s.
Hi Jimbo. How are you able to tell which 747's have Premium Laurel vs. the old config? I'm trying to find Seattle or Vancouver flights to TPE with that config.

Thanks!
Old Aug 15, 2007, 12:23 am

F is good

I agree...

Premium Laurel is a significant upgrade for BR's frequent Super Business Class passengers, which used to deal with an outdated 44-47" business class seat with limited recline and legroom. It is a first generation sliding seat, and I actually hate those seats. I even rate them below CX and SQ first generation business class seats. They really slide and I can't even get a good night of sleep on a redeye flight from LAX to TPE. The cabin service was also a significant downgrade from Super First... the F/As are stressed, rushed through meals, and not as attentive (and even have some attitudes when lots of pax requesting snacks), which was unacceptable for an Asian airline.

So I will go with the classic first class seat... just go in with expectations that you are getting a good deal, the seats are nothing fancy, no AVOD PTV, but you will get a comfortable sleeper seat that won't slide and a really good meal service. I recommend going on EVA's website (after the ticket is issued) and checking out the entree choices and even booking of those internet-only entrees... the lobster is good and the abalone with crab-stuffed rice is good too. F/As are pretty good too.

Amenity wise - slippers, and amenity kits, but no PJ.
Duvet blankets are available too.

Carfield
Old Aug 15, 2007, 4:27 am

A couple of points I'd add:

Since you're in First, if you put the miles with EVA's club you get 150% or 200% of the flown mileage (depending on fare class). That's 24,016 or 32,020. 20,000 is enough for an economy return TPE/HKG.

Whilst in transit at TPE you can be "whelmed" by the "Premium Laurel Garden".... EVA's flagship lounge. (Stupid name, 'cos if you have a Premium Laurel ticket you can't get in - its for F and Diamond card holders only. Plus its not really a garden... it has a carpet and its up an escalator. There are plants I suppose. But then there's also a piano...) Anyway I'd say its better than most C class lounges.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
Hi Jimbo. How are you able to tell which 747's have Premium Laurel vs. the old config? I'm trying to find Seattle or Vancouver flights to TPE with that config.

Thanks!
I think the surest way is to type in your desired flight details into http://www.evaair.com/html/b2c/english/. For "Service Class" select "Super Business Class/Premium Laurel Class". Assuming it comes back with availability, then it will say on the next screen which aircraft type and which kind of business class - either Super Business Class (the old one) or Premium Laurel (the new one).

OR use the timetable function. Clicking on "aircraft" type should give the correct aircraft layout. In fact if you see "F" in the class column, you know the C will be the old layout. If there is no "F" and it is a 747/330/777 then C will be Premium Laurel. (Don't bother clicking on "C" etc., it sometimes wrongly links to SuperBusiness instead of Premium Laurel!)
Old Aug 17, 2007, 9:09 pm

Having done both classes:

F seat is wide but you are right next to the other passenger with 2+2 seating.
F provides very little privacy. Seat goes down about 170 degrees but the person behind you will have their feet very close to your head and no divider between seats so certainly NOT pods.
AV system has a miniscule monitor and is just pathetic, so forget it. Bring your own.
Try to avoid upstairs F, as it is a bit claustrophobic with the small cabin and toilets/bulkhead a bit closeby.
Service for us was actually better in C class. In F on the upper deck, the same 2 FAs covered both F and C (which was behind the 8-seat F cabin upstairs). Not exactly "attentive". There were more food choices and perhaps better quality in F but the presentation and serviceware were identical.
Very DRAB cabin in the old F and C, green seats and carpet (looks like it's from the 70s) and you get the exact same tiny pillows in F that they've got in Y! Bizzarre.

New C has a sloped seat, not as wide or comfortable as F, but more private and the people behind you will not affect you as there is a hard shell encasing the seat. AV system 110 percent better.
Food was much improved over old C, but fewer choices than F.

EVA are not so hot when it comes to service, just expect this and you won't be too disappointed. I guess you get what you pay for!
Old Aug 18, 2007, 1:32 am

Programs: EVA Airline Diamond
Originally Posted by Flyingfox

EVA are not so hot when it comes to service, just expect this and you won't be too disappointed. I guess you get what you pay for!

Agree with you... Eva's service was very good back then.. but they are improving
Old Aug 20, 2007, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch

Thanks!
From Seattle none of the current flights have the new config. From approximately December 4, all will have it. They are changing planes from 747 to 777 on that route (and perhaps on others, but Seattle is the only one I've tracked).
Old Aug 20, 2007, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by TypicalAnonym
From Seattle none of the current flights have the new config. From approximately December 4, all will have it. They are changing planes from 747 to 777 on that route (and perhaps on others, but Seattle is the only one I've tracked).
..and from then London will give up the 777 for the refurbished 747, just in time for me to try it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.