Any experience flying Malaysian Airlines?

Old Jun 20, 2008, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA Premier, SWA Rapid Rewards, Alaska Air Mileage Plan, AAdvantage, CX Marco Polo
Originally Posted by jpatokal
It's a 35-min flight and you're complaining about the service? If they weren't in a hurry, you'd be served your little cup of OJ after touchdown!
I would also concur that on short flights such as KUL/SIN one shouldn't expect a lot in terms of service. However, sometimes I think they could handle IRROPS a bit better in my experience.

A couple of years ago, I took a flight from PEN to SIN on MH, which is also not a long flight, that at the last minute, had to make an unscheduled stop in KUL at the last minute to probably make up for a cancelled KUL/SIN flight - IRROPS, my guess. I had a connecting flight to MNL on SQ at Changi to catch, later in the day, so I didn't have much of a problem (except I would have less time to goof off and eat in Changi), but there were some really nervous pax who were connecting onto a flight to either SFO (SQ1) and/or LAX that were pretty concerned about making that connection in SIN - which was a tighter time frame. I think they did make their onward flight to the USA, but they were pretty darned nervous the whole way...
Old Jun 20, 2008, 10:46 pm

The remaining 744s in the MH fleet have the "new" interiors: even the two they leased to SQ for the SIN-AKL service had the new interiors -- and those two have since left SQ and have been converted to freighters!

There are only about a dozen 744s left at MH.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 7:10 pm

While we're on the topic of MH - are there any options for upgrading from Y?

As best I can tell 30K miles will get one an upgrade. Any success stories?

Any success with transferring miles from other sources?
Old Jun 24, 2008, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA/EK(Gold) CX(Diamond)
I've upgraded using points a number of times, have also transferred points to Enrich via my credit card award scheme and from my spouse's Enrich account (fee applies).
Old Jun 25, 2008, 7:59 pm

Programs: Asian Club *g, AC Aeroplan, EK Skywards, QF Frequent Flyer, Velocity VA, Hilton Honors Diamond
Can you tell us if you paid for an upgrade with points in advance and confirmed or if you know the day or travel or within a day or so of departure?

Thanks

SYD/YYZ
Old Jun 26, 2008, 4:00 am

It was confirmed when I paid with points. Try to give a few months notice at least but I have also done it at short notice too.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 11:36 am

Programs: AC SE
Buenos Aires to Cape Town

Looking to fly on MH.
Looks like a 747.
First time - so what should I expect?
Can you "purchase" upgrades at the airport?
Thanks
Old Jul 27, 2008, 9:25 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
Originally Posted by jmolony
Looking to fly on MH.
Looks like a 747.
First time - so what should I expect?
Can you "purchase" upgrades at the airport?
Thanks
You cant buy standby upgrades. Service, food, drinks etc are going to be far better than on your typical US carrier.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 12:02 am

I don't know if it's offered at some airports and only during certain times of the year and whether it's still offered by MAS. My experience with purchasing upgrades is only from biz to first at the check-in counter. And it's quite a good deal.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 9:40 am

Programs: Skywards, Qmiles, Miles&More, Enrich
My sister upgraded one way VIE-KUL years ago for about 200 euros. Not a bad deal at all

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.