SQ or MH?

Old Oct 6, 06, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA, UA
SQ or MH?

Client is giving $1500 for a RT NYC/KUL for a 4 day seminar I'm leading in late November.

Choices are:
- MH in coach via ARN (US$0 out of pocket), with miles to my NW account
- SQ in Exec Coach via SIN (US$500 out of pocket), miles don't help me
- MH biz (US$3500 out of pocket)

What would you do?

Thanks
Old Oct 6, 06, 12:49 pm
Suspended

id go with SQ but thats just me
Old Oct 6, 06, 1:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold A3 Gold IB Plata
MH biz is very nice, but considering the difference in price it might be worth it to fly in Y. They have what is probably the nicest Y in the sky - 34" pitch, PTV, etc. - and you'll be getting miles! There has also been talk of them letting you buy up to J at checkin, though it's not really a sure thing.
Old Oct 6, 06, 1:35 pm

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
Why don't you try EVA's Economy Deluxe? It should be close to around 1500 or less and you get all the goodies also. Plus as a CO silver, you'll get the same bonus as MH. Plus you can stopover in TPE.
Old Oct 6, 06, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by party_boy
Why don't you try EVA's Economy Deluxe? It should be close to around 1500 or less and you get all the goodies also. Plus as a CO silver, you'll get the same bonus as MH. Plus you can stopover in TPE.
Yes, the EVA ED looks like a nice product. Sadly, their schedule doesn't work for me. I can't leave KUL until Saturday morning, which means I would miss the Sat KUL-TPE flight, and the next one is not until Monday, but I have to be in NYC Monday morning.
Old Oct 6, 06, 8:17 pm
Suspended

I would go for SQ Premium Economy.

MH : Another possibility you should explore is to fly through LAX. Fares are cheaper and if you are in econ the flight duration is also shorter and would be more bearable. Flights from LAX uses the B747 aircrafts while flights from NYC uses the B777, if it matters to you.

TG : Have you also checked fares on TG ? From pictures, their premium econ seats are almost like biz class seats on many airlines !
Old Oct 6, 06, 8:21 pm

I'd go with SQ's E+. However, if you find long flights unbearable, I would stick with MH Y. It's surprisingly comfortable.

I checked on sample dates (Nov 24 - Nov 30) and TG came out to only $1286.20 - an excellent price! The new A340s used on JFK-BKK are also v comfortable.

Y+ on TG came to $1928.20

Cheers
Old Oct 7, 06, 7:32 am

Programs: DL,UA,SQ,CX
Another vote for SQ Exec Econ (USD500) over MH Econ (USD0) in your situation

- SQ: daily frequency (it happened to me that because of illness I had to delay departure out of KUL by one day; I would have had to wait at least an extra day had I chosen to fly with MH)
- I appreciate the extra elbow room, leg support and room to walk around + the little bar on the SQ A340-500; 17.5 hours on SQ22 felt shorter than any MH longhaul I've been on even if MH economy class is relatively comfy by economy class standards
- maximum of 116 fellow Exec Econ pax on SQ vs possibly over 240 fellow Econ pac on MH; very different feeling

... unless you really want the award miles (for example, to reach a certain target)
then you might want to consider Korean (KE) (I assume, because they are a SkyTeam member) for these reasons:
- daily frequency
- if you can leave KUL late Friday evening (KUL-ICN flights generally depart around 1 a.m.), you could get into NYC by around noontime Saturday on KE
- from what I hear/read, their economy class comfort should be comparable to MH's unless you really need the inflight entertainment

A quick look at EVA (BR) and THAI (TG) schedules:
- TG might work if you can get out of KUL early Friday evening
- BR might work if you do KUL-SIN on SQ on Saturday morning to catch BR225 SIN-TPE with sched arrival just 40 minutes before the sched departure of BR32 TPE-SEA-EWR; sounds risky but I have done it before (a small extra fee); what I really don't like is the stop in SEA in the wee hours of the morning on the EWR-SEA-TPE flight
Old Oct 7, 06, 10:29 am

JetE's post reminded me of something -

Many of BR's fares seem to allow any carrier on the KUL-TPE sector (I even priced something out with KUL-SIN-TPE on SQ and then BR TPE-LAX and it was around $20 more than BR KUL-TPE-LAX!)

Maybe another carrier will offer flights late enough for you to connect to Sat night's TPE-LAX? (MH, CI, CX via HKG etc)

Cheers
Old Oct 7, 06, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
Many of BR's fares seem to allow any carrier on the KUL-TPE sector (I even priced something out with KUL-SIN-TPE on SQ and then BR TPE-LAX and it was around $20 more than BR KUL-TPE-LAX!)
How did you book that? I don't see anywhere on BR's web site to book other carriers...
Old Oct 7, 06, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by jg70124
How did you book that? I don't see anywhere on BR's web site to book other carriers...
I think you would have to book with a TA.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: