Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vietnam Airlines domestic business / coach ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2006, 4:05 am
Original Poster

Vietnam Airlines domestic business / coach ?

I willbe flying HAN to SGN next feb, and was wondering if paying the little extra in business ( 60 euros ) is worth it ? what it's like ? anycomment on check-in / lounge / seat etc is welcome. 60 euros seems not much ?... thanks.
Old Jan 28, 2006, 8:49 am

Programs: UA 1K 3MM
My experience: it's well worth it. Check in is easier as you are in a shorter line. Many VN don't have much flying experience so they often don't understand check in procedures. In the business class line you'll be dealing with more experienced passengers (if you have to wait at all...) You do get lounge access. It's not great but is satisfactory.

Check the schedules carefully. Some flights are A320/321. A few are 777 (maybe even 767 on occasion.) 777 or 767 are the way to go if it'll work into your schedule.

The C seats on A320/321 are similar to domestic F seats on US airlines. The pitch is about 40". They are just fine as it's only a 2 hr flight.

The C seats on the 777 are international standard (though they are quite oddly shaped!) and have AVOD PTV. I've not seen 767s on the schedule in a while, but if they are they are quite comfy. They were built for CO but never delivered. The C seats are first generation CO BusinessFirst seats. They are very worn but very comfortable. The arrangement is 1-2-2 so those A seats give you a window & easy aisle access.

Minor warning on 767: VN has leased other 767s that have smaller C seats. But they are still fine for a 2 hr flight.

They won't let you make an advance seat assignment. So first come first served.

Service is generally mediocre though they usually have pretty drinkable wines.
Old Jan 28, 2006, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Thank you for this very detailed answer ! we will book in Business then since the difference is so small... will check the schedule as well, thanks.
Old Jan 28, 2006, 8:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 3MM
france - i forgot one thing! HAN & SGN airports can be draconian about carry on luggage. If it weights more than 7k they'll require you to check it. My carry on bag weighs 5k empty! Notebook bags & brief bags are no problem & I've never had one weighed.
Old Jan 28, 2006, 8:57 am
Original Poster

wow, very important, mine is usually 8 to 10 kg; I tend to put everything to carry on the plane. Good to know. ^
Old Jan 28, 2006, 7:44 pm

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Agree with the comments so far and have flown this route a number of times in both classes.

A couple of points:

1) The 777s is the safest bet for a true C class seat as with the 767 its difficult to be sure which you get. Having said that, VNA can switch planes at the last minute so its never guaranteed.

2) With a C class ticket they usually let you take more carry-on.

3) It is 2 hour flight, so there is certainly time to enjoy the inflight service. However the VOD usually seems to be disabled on the 777s.

4) You do, of course, get lounge access. This can be particularly useful as later flights can end up rather delayed.

5) Priority baggage handling usually works.

Annoyingly VNA are often weak to enforce the checkin queues and its not unusual to find "economy" people or people who regard themselves as "vip" pushing for attention at the C class checkin. Be prepared to push yourself if this happens.

Actually I find the inflight service on VNA rather good albeit a little nervous at times in C. Even in economy you get a meal.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA MP Premier Gold (Life), Hyatt Explorer, Various other hotel FS pgms
Would anyone care to update this thread?

Hi ...

My wife and I are going to fly RT SGN-HAN-SGN in November and I am seriously considering C ticket purchase on VN. And I have scoped out both flights on 777. Right now it's a little less than USD450 each RT. I figure the lower hassle factor, higher luggage allowance, and lounge access are be worth the difference in price, even though it's only a two hour flight.

The last update to this thread was well over six years ago. I am wondering if anyone has any more current info. Also, where is the best place to purchase a ticket like this? Is the VN on-line system reliable? Are they still strict on the carry-on weight restrictions?

Finally, on the return flight we'll be connecting to an ANA flight to NRT. It looks like we'll have to make our way from the SGN domestic terminal to the International terminal. How much of a hassle is this trek?
Old Jun 10, 2013, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by stanscan
Hi ...

My wife and I are going to fly RT SGN-HAN-SGN in November and I am seriously considering C ticket purchase on VN. And I have scoped out both flights on 777. Right now it's a little less than USD450 each RT. I figure the lower hassle factor, higher luggage allowance, and lounge access are be worth the difference in price, even though it's only a two hour flight.

The last update to this thread was well over six years ago. I am wondering if anyone has any more current info. Also, where is the best place to purchase a ticket like this? Is the VN on-line system reliable? Are they still strict on the carry-on weight restrictions?

Finally, on the return flight we'll be connecting to an ANA flight to NRT. It looks like we'll have to make our way from the SGN domestic terminal to the International terminal. How much of a hassle is this trek?
1. VNA online is reliable and has improved compared to a year ago. I've personally booked using US-based CC multiple times w/o a hitch so you can book your trip online.
2. In my experience, carry on is hardly scrutinized on VNA compared to the other low cost airlines operating in VN so unless you're trying to sneak in a 26" roller, you'll be ok.
3. From Domestic, you'll exit alfresco to Int'l terminal. Approximately an easy 5 walk with carts provided gratis compared to most US airports nickel diming nowaday. Give yourself about 2 hours between domestic arrival and int'l departure.
4. I just flew NH932/NH931 last month and if I was in your shoes, I would save the money and just fly economy SGN-HAN-SGN. You'll save around $300/per person and can use that money for a nice meal and a few bottles of Hibiki at Narita.

Bon voyage.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 11:32 am

I would also say that lounge access isn't worth spending the extra $$ for a Biz ticket in Saigon.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 10:04 pm

Programs: Skywards, Miles & More, BA Exec Club
I took the 772 from SGN to HAN last week, we did the Optiontown upgrade to business class which came in at about $35 for the upgrade.

We didn't get lounge access but had fast track through security and access to the business class bus for quick boarding.

On board the service was great, plenty of drinks, nice big comfy seat, the meal was good and our luggage was first off. I felt it was well worth the price.

I wouldn't say the same for our A321 from HAN to CXR, whether it was because the plane was smaller and busier but the food offering was lousy (a meat pie) and they did just the one drinks run. The bags arrived quickly, that's about the only positive.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA MP Premier Gold (Life), Hyatt Explorer, Various other hotel FS pgms
Thanks to speedy_j and SaigonCyclo for your replies.

Originally Posted by groobs
I took the 772 from SGN to HAN last week, we did the Optiontown upgrade to business class which came in at about $35 for the upgrade.
What is an "Optiontown upgrade?" Obviously this is the cheaper way to go. I assume it's some kind of last minute upgrade offered at check-in. (Does VNA have on-line check-in? I tired to look, but their website seems to be off-line right now.) What Y fare class would you have to purchase to be eligible for this kind of upgrade? Sounds like it might work for us if I can figure out the particulars. Thanks!
Old Jun 16, 2013, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by stanscan
Thanks to speedy_j and SaigonCyclo for your replies.

What is an "Optiontown upgrade?" Obviously this is the cheaper way to go. I assume it's some kind of last minute upgrade offered at check-in. (Does VNA have on-line check-in? I tired to look, but their website seems to be off-line right now.) What Y fare class would you have to purchase to be eligible for this kind of upgrade? Sounds like it might work for us if I can figure out the particulars. Thanks!
Google is your friend. It's all perfectly straightforward.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Google is your friend. It's all perfectly straightforward.
Ok. Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.