Wiki Posts
Search

Philippine Airlines Partners?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2012, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by sharonsimon
Can One world, skyteam, or star alliance miles be used for Phillipine Air award travel? Family member looking for very expensive ticket from China to Manila.
What is the route?
Old Jan 3, 2012, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Can One world, skyteam, or star alliance miles be used for Phillipine Air award travel? Family member looking for very expensive ticket from China to Manila.
What is the route? There are other options instead of direct..
Old Jan 3, 2012, 8:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
What is the route? There are other options instead of direct..
Including 5j, which is direct.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 1:33 pm

need nonstop

the family member needs to be on nonstops, which are run solely by Phillipine Airlines as far as we can tell. if no award travel options, will just end up paying a lot of money to be on nonstops.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 3:08 pm

the family member needs to be on nonstops, which are run solely by Phillipine Airlines as far as we can tell. if no award travel options, will just end up paying a lot of money to be on nonstops.
What's the route?
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
What is the route?
I doubt you can use any other miles to book a PR flight aside from Mabuhay Miles. PR is not part of any alliance. 5J used to allow WorldPerks miles way back when but then it got downgraded and got banned from the EU so they got cut off from the redemption scheme.

Just book a flight with Zest Air, AirPhilExpress, or 5J. All these LCCs are so cheap that I wouldn't waste miles booking domestic flights in the Philippines at all.

If you're traveling within Asia, consider Spirit of Manila (out Clark), AirAsia, Tiger, Jet, or the above mentioned LCCs. Fares are cheap. Save your miles for something better.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 7:33 am

....if no award travel options, will just end up paying a lot of money to be on nonstops.
So what's the problem? Isn't that what your relative wants?

Problem solved.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Mr. Roboto

Problem solved.
My read was that the "family member" wants to fly from China to MNL on a ticket that would be very expensive in terms of cash, but possibly a good value using miles... and, PR is the only carrier that flies this particular route nonstop.

An interesting thing about FT, is that in spite of all of the action in the major forums (i.e. SWUs last on CC for ~3 days), we also see threads like:

"what can I possibly do with 20,000 PR miles?"
and
"where can I find 20,000 PR miles?"

about 3 times per year, each. Yet, they almost never cross paths.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY, AA
Originally Posted by moondog
An interesting thing about FT, is that in spite of all of the action in the major forums (i.e. SWUs last on CC for ~3 days), we also see threads like:

and

Maybe it's time we have a Mabuhay Miles forum.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by Akiestar
AGREED!

You know what would be amazing is if all the LCC carriers in the Philippines created a cooperative mileage redemption system. That would really give PR a run for its money.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by moondog
My read was that the "family member" wants to fly from China to MNL on a ticket that would be very expensive in terms of cash, but possibly a good value using miles... and, PR is the only carrier that flies this particular route nonstop.

and

By the way, what is the routing for this flight?? I am sure that a PEK-MNL flight doesn't cost that much. From the last time I had a chance to talk to the country manager here, Air China has been running a strong campaign to increase flights to MNL and even Kalibo (Boracay) for tourism purposes.

They also want a piece of the pie for US-bound Filipino passengers (so far CX, OZ, KE, PR, and CI dominate this market) so they've posted some ridiculous fares for travel agencies (in the range of $700-800 all-in excluding Philippine Travel Tax...etc.)
Old Jan 6, 2012, 2:59 am

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY, AA
Originally Posted by blackmamba
AGREED!

You know what would be amazing is if all the LCC carriers in the Philippines created a cooperative mileage redemption system. That would really give PR a run for its money.
Well, 5J got rid of its loyalty program when they became an LCC, 2P just instituted a new program where you can redeem boarding passes for free flights, and PQ (AirAsia Philippines) is bound to use AK BIG, so who knows?

I highly doubt though a cooperative mileage redemption system for all the LCCs will ever be instituted as Philippine LCCs are fierce rivals with one another and the market is extremely competitive. It would be nice though if PR extends Mabuhay Miles mileage accrual again though to 2P.

(so far CX, OZ, KE, PR, and CI dominate this market)
Don't forget DL. And CZ is also able to get some of the market: when I flew MNL-CAN a few months ago last year, one guy was flying MNL-CAN-LAX.
Old May 13, 2012, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
AGREED!

Good luck on that, I could not even get a Spirit forum (there is a Spirit in the Philippines)!!
Old May 13, 2012, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
Originally Posted by Akiestar

As I said, a new forum is quite a difficult thing to get on Flyertalk!!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 6:07 pm

Any updates on flying Philippine Airlines from YYZ (Toronto) to MNL (Manila) .. perhaps on points from UA or AA??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.