BR 32: INS at SEA or EWR?

Old Aug 9, 05, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Question BR 32: INS at SEA or EWR?

Just out of curiosity, for pax travelling the full route on TPE-EWR on BR 32, do they clear Immigration & Customs at SEA or EWR?
Old Aug 9, 05, 11:23 am

Programs: NW Plat, CO Plat
IIRC, it should be SEA because it's your 1st point of entry to the US. At least this was my experience on my previous flight on the same route but that was a couple of years ago. I had to clear the customs too in SEA.
Old Aug 9, 05, 11:28 am

First point of entry

BR flight to EWR clears custom at Seattle, as well as CI's flight from TPE to IAH via SEA. For passengers continuing to EWR or IAH, they will drop off their bags and return to gate after passing another security checkpoint.

For CI's flight TPE-ANC-JFK, folks also clear custom at ANC. Many passengers prefer clearing customs at ANC -- folks more friendly and no congestions to worry about.

Carfield
Old Aug 9, 05, 11:37 am

Programs: DL,UA,SQ,CX
Just to add to the chorus of responses... I flew BR32 a little less than a year ago and all that was done at SEA.
Old Aug 14, 05, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Years ago, BR 32 cleared immigration and customs at EWR (so did CI 12 at JFK). I think the rule has always been you must clear immigration and customs at the first entry point in the US. Both CI and BR were able to get waivers, I believe. After 9/11, no more exceptions.

The general belief is that the more east you go in the US, the friendlier the customs are. People hate to clear customs at HNL and SEA. (I think ANC is probably the exception.) I guess western US customs know better how to spot Chinese beef jerkys, etc Now the USDA dog does the job.

That line from Latter Days made an impression on me too.
Old Aug 17, 05, 1:30 am

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
I do have to admit that's VERY funny

Originally Posted by username
I guess western US customs know better how to spot Chinese beef jerkys, etc Now the USDA dog does the job.
Old Sep 15, 05, 12:26 am

Programs: UA: 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador, Platinum IHG. Diamond: Hilton. Silver: Delta & Hyatt
Always in SEA which can sometimes lead to lengthy delays when flying into EWR and departing EWR. I will be excited when they have a non stop connection on this route.
-UFFA

Search this Thread
Search Engine: