EVA's new 777s

Old Jun 2, 2005, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

EVA's new 777s

Does anyone know whether EVA will use the new 777s for any of its US flights?

Also, does anyone know if Evergreen Deluxe will be updated (improved) in the new 777s?

Thx.
Old Jun 2, 2005, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HH Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DFW1972
Does anyone know whether EVA will use the new 777s for any of its US flights?
Eventually, the 777s will be used on North American routes to replace the 747s. When? I have no idea. I can only hope soon.

Originally Posted by DFW1972
Also, does anyone know if Evergreen Deluxe will be updated (improved) in the new 777s?

Thx.
Yes, the Evergreen Deluxe seats should be updated. I'm predicting bigger screens and better ergonomics. One thing that all cabins will have is Audio and Video on Demand.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 6:25 pm

Well we know that the 777s will feature the Premium Laurel Class lie flat seats, Evergreen Deluxe and the standard Economy. I have a very good feeling that the Evergreen Deluxe seats will feature larger video screens and AVOD on all cabins and all seats. Hey, will the Economy Class for that aircraft have a personal in-seat telephone?
Old Jun 5, 2005, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by CX_First
Well we know that the 777s will feature the Premium Laurel Class lie flat seats, Evergreen Deluxe and the standard Economy. I have a very good feeling that the Evergreen Deluxe seats will feature larger video screens and AVOD on all cabins and all seats. Hey, will the Economy Class for that aircraft have a personal in-seat telephone?
I believe so. I'm not 100% sure, but I think all seats on the A330-200s have in-seat phones that are incorporated on the back of the remote controls?
Old Jun 5, 2005, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They said that the new planes will have BETTER Evergreen Laurel class than the A330s. I am not sure if it is marketing talk or true - note that the 777s are wider than the 330s so the seats will be wider if they make it 2-2-2 also.

The biggest change I hope for ED is having headrest wings on the seats - I am sure this will be the case since the A330 Economy already has this improvement.

The current A330 Y screen is 6.5 inches - I think it is bigger than the current ED screen. The current A330 seats do not have telephone - I think you have to get the handset from the flight attendant.

What I worry is the pricing and allocation for ED - I think they are planning 42C, 63ED and 211Y. Current 744s have 8F+16C/12F+32C, 86-142 ED and 162-220 Y seats. So, ED is being cut significantly. I think ED will become a true full-Y product that will be for business travellers - not the current "US$200 extra" product which many of us are perfectly willing to pay (and frequently heavily booked).

Anyway, does EVA have to prove its maintenance capability for a new plane type before it can do trans-Pacific ETOPS?

Last edited by username; Jun 5, 2005 at 1:49 am
Old Jun 5, 2005, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by username
The current A330 seats do not have telephone - I think you have to get the handset from the flight attendant.
I just double-checked, and all seats have a telephone handset on the back of the remote control.

I also agree we might see price increases. Although I don't see any increases on the LHR yet, I believe prices will gradually go up.
Old Jun 5, 2005, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You are right. The other side of the AVOD remote is the phone. I was not thinking.
Old Jun 6, 2005, 3:41 am
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
Then this will make China Airlines even better value for money. EVA is well overdue to upgrade and to sting passengers for it is not such a wise move with such stiff competition in my opinion
Old Jun 6, 2005, 1:02 pm
Scandalous

Last edited by Scandalous; Nov 15, 2005 at 5:25 pm Reason: Deleted by user due to uneasiness with flyertalk censorship policies.

Old Jun 6, 2005, 9:49 pm

Programs: BA/BD Gold, UA Silver
Will the New ED be put into the 747s over time, or will the newer ED be solely on the 777s?
Old Jun 7, 2005, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by SEAUAKID
Will the New ED be put into the 747s over time, or will the newer ED be solely on the 777s?
I hope so.

Two years ago, when Premium Laurel was introduced, EVA Air said that they would upgrade its existing fleet to include Premium Laurel. To date, I haven't seen a single thing happen.
Old Jun 7, 2005, 5:57 am
Suspended

EVA maybe you can answer this. I flew late last year between Taipei and Macau and we had a brand new airbus on the route outbound and the business class was really nice. The return I think was an old boeing maybe 757 or 767, Is the airbus one the premium laurel class as I was pretty impressed with it.
Old Jun 7, 2005, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by Steve Fenton
EVA maybe you can answer this. I flew late last year between Taipei and Macau and we had a brand new airbus on the route outbound and the business class was really nice. The return I think was an old boeing maybe 757 or 767, Is the airbus one the premium laurel class as I was pretty impressed with it.
Yup, the business class that you flew to Macau was probably Premium Laurel. If EVA Air introduces Premium Laurel fleetwide, it will be back in the game for business class.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 12:46 am
Suspended

yes you are right it was great even on such a short flight I enjoyed it and as always the service
Old Jun 9, 2005, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Their press said that twin ops is safe and the trend and the 777 will be the backbone of their long haul operations. I think they are starting the PR on this front and get the customer's confidence on ETOPS (Extended Twin OPerationS or Engines Turn Or Passengers Swim).

My guess is once they prove the 777 ETOPS, they will start deploying them on TransPac. It could be messy with pricing mixing 777s with 747s on the same routes but they have to deploy 777s on LAX quickly to be competitive.

I can also see increasing frequencies - even new routes. I wonder about routes like TPE-ONT, SJC, JFK, YYZ, DFW, ATL, ORD, BWI/IAD. Also might make EWR/JFK non-stop and split SEA service.

My guess is the old 747s will be either sold or converted to cargo - not upgraded to new cabins. The very first 747 they have is over 12 years old. The Taiwanese consumer are really sensitive to old planes.

As far as EVA vs. China Airlines, I think EVA is a much less progressive company. Some examples: Evergreen Club came out really late and is not a good program, no male flight attendants, no major service improvements the last few years other than Evergreen Laurel Class.

I think they feel they can afford to be less innovative because of their safety record (or should I say CI's safety record). It is also a very top-down company and it had to get its numbers good for the IPO. IMHO, this explains why they have fallen behind on the service front.

Isn't it fun playing fantasy airline games

Last edited by username; Jun 11, 2005 at 4:57 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.