New United SFO-MNL Flight PAL Impact

Old Nov 7, 2023, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

New United SFO-MNL Flight PAL Impact

Any thoughts on the impact the new United SFO-MNL flight will have on PAL updating their same service?
Old Nov 7, 2023, 2:48 pm

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
I am quite excited if this might end up in a fare war.

It took PAL, what 2 years to get rid of Hawaiian? Of course Ill be rooting for UA here. But UA is a much larger rival with better hard product. PAL would need to up their game.

Does UA impose a check in allowance embargo as did DL?

I am all for competition. I do hope more airlines fly into MNL from other cities.
Old Nov 7, 2023, 10:57 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
MNL is not a new station for UA, they've flown there for a long time from GUM, so they know the market well.
moondog and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 8:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by hikouki

It took PAL, what 2 years to get rid of Hawaiian? Of course I’ll be rooting for UA here. But UA is a much larger rival with better hard product. PAL would need to up their game.

Does UA impose a check in allowance embargo as did DL?

I am all for competition. I do hope more airlines fly into MNL from other cities.
Yeah, back in the day NW and PR used to duke it out pretty heavily for Philippines to US west coast. I think it was either $1200 or $1400 business class round trip from Cebu. Manila was a few hundred higher. DL quickly axed that fare when they took over. UA actually had a decent ex-Philippines biz fare too but their seat back in those days was God awful. NW had angle lie flats already.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Any thoughts on improved planes/service on the PAL SFO-MNL route. While I think United catering has big problems, it is better than what PAL offers. And, Polaris vs PAL business seats isn't in the same ballpark.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 12:29 am
Suspended

PAL can always lower the price to compete, despite the hardware or software product deficiency. There are plenty of price conscious flyers.
dvs7310, moondog and SPN Lifer like this.

Last edited by AfterHour; Nov 18, 2023 at 8:02 pm
Old Nov 16, 2023, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K/Million Mile
Judging by initial service, PAL will have no problem pushing out UA. UA cancelled 2 of the first 11 flights leaving hundreds of families with children traveling home to PH with a nightmare scenario. Whatever the problems with PAL - Kirby and UA will seem far worse and a much less viable option.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K/Million Mile
when UA flies, they might be better, but with an initial cancel rate approaching 20%, seems Kirby's corner and cost cutting is playing into PAL's hands.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 2:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by hikouki

It took PAL, what 2 years to get rid of Hawaiian? Of course Ill be rooting for UA here. But UA is a much larger rival with better hard product. PAL would need to up their game.
I don't think they'll need to up their game too much to force UA to drop out. They can simply set fares at levels that render the route unprofitable for UA, which will then redeploy its 77Ws elsewhere.
Old Nov 24, 2023, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
I wonder why UA didn't go for LAX-MNL instead. I got to think the LAX-MNL is a bigger market than SFO-MNL.
Old Nov 24, 2023, 6:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by opus2002
I wonder why UA didn't go for LAX-MNL instead. I got to think the LAX-MNL is a bigger market than SFO-MNL.
SFO is a United hub.

When US airlines go head to head against foreign carriers at LAX, they often get decimated.
opus2002 and SPN Lifer like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.