Lion Air

Old Jun 17, 22, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Lion Air

Anyone flown on Lion Air before? Reviews are not so good but they offer many flights from Denpasar Bali to Jakarta. We are taking them in late September. We are also taking Garuda Airlines from Singapore to Denpasar.
Old Jun 17, 22, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA
It's your typical low cost carrier in Asia, with spotty safety record to boot.
I've been in several Lion air flights, and the leg room is virtually non-existent. If you're over 5'10", you'll definitely feel the pinch.
Batik air is the lion air group's full service division. I'd take Batik air and Airasia ahead of Lion air.
Old Jun 17, 22, 9:11 pm

Programs: AS 75K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Personally, I try to avoid flying on Lion Air when there are viable alternatives.

Regardless, when you arrive at the airport for your Lion Air flight, try not to act surprised when they tell you that your flight is delayed.
Old Jun 18, 22, 5:16 am
Original Poster

They do have a lot of flights between Bali and Jakarta. We survived Ryan Air one time -)
Old Jun 18, 22, 11:45 pm

RyanAir is head and shoulder above any of Indonesian's LCCs in terms of operational execution.
Late departure happens more often than not with Lion Air.
Old Jun 19, 22, 12:42 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWE (Plat Pro), IHG Plat Ambassador
When I board a FR aircraft, I do not have any safety issues. But the only Indonesian airline that I sort of trust is GA.
Old Jun 19, 22, 4:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I'd certainly take Garuda or CitiLink (GA's LCC) if it's somewhat close in price, but I did fly Lion once DPS-CGK and it was fine. We were actually ontime which seems to not be the norm. Lion's safety record is the only thing that really gives me pause but otherwise seems relatively ok.
Old Jun 19, 22, 7:17 pm

Programs: asia miles
Lion is a typical LCC. Not better, nor worse. Of course, safety records can be a concern.
Old Jun 22, 22, 7:12 am

Programs: MM, Krisflyer, QFF, VFF
Originally Posted by Dan Landis View Post
Anyone flown on Lion Air before? Reviews are not so good but they offer many flights from Denpasar Bali to Jakarta.
Make sure you take out some life insurance before you travel, your family may need it.
Old Jun 28, 22, 10:43 am

Batik Air

Does anyone know how strict Batik air is regarding dimensions of carryon? My smallest bag is an inch wider than their limit. Their limits are considerably smaller than other domestic Indonesian airlines.
Old Jun 28, 22, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by Gailreese View Post
Does anyone know how strict Batik air is regarding dimensions of carryon? My smallest bag is an inch wider than their limit. Their limits are considerably smaller than other domestic Indonesian airlines.
It depends more on the airport than the airline. The airline will deploy some personnel to specifically enforce the baggage size conformity at certain airports with most egregious violators.
Having said that, I haven't seen any enforcement at the usual major Indonesian airports recently. The overhead cabins are usually quite sparsely filled. Indonesians have developed the habit of checking in even the smallest size of backpack.
Old Jun 28, 22, 7:56 pm

I will be flying LBJ to CGK so I guess if I want to be specific it would be for LBJ airport. I also want to know how strictly they enforce carry on luggage weight limits. It is 7kg for 1 carry on and one personal item combined.

Last edited by Gailreese; Jun 28, 22 at 10:03 pm

Search this Thread