PAL bumped from Biz to PremEcon - what differences?

Old Jun 10, 2022, 7:05 am
Original Poster

PAL bumped from Biz to PremEcon - what differences?

I'm in the Philippines for work, we flew Biz on PAL from LAX -> MNL on a Boeing 777-300.
Our return flight is tomorrow, and they've changed the flight time, the plane (we're now on an Airbus A330-300), extended the length for a refuel in SEL, and bumped two of us from Biz to PremEcon. My coworker called the airlines (twice) and was advised that "the seats are the same" but if so, why would they offer the following:

Your originally booked Business Class seat was changed due to operational adjustments that resulted in an aircraft change. We are thereby constrained to make this change so you can continue your flight to the Philippines. With this, you will receive a free round-trip Business Class ticket which you can use on your next flight, subject to seat availability, to be issued at the airport upon check-in. This will not affect your other business class privileges such as access to the Mabuhay lounge, free baggage allowance, and Mabuhay Miles accrual.
I can deal with limited food and drink options, and even no in-flight entertainment (which is what happened on our flight out), but I cannot tolerate a non-full-reclining seat for a 16 hour flight. Can anyone offer a comparison between the two classes based on experience?
Old Jun 10, 2022, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by reaganFF
I'm in the Philippines for work, we flew Biz on PAL from LAX -> MNL on a Boeing 777-300.
Our return flight is tomorrow, and they've changed the flight time, the plane (we're now on an Airbus A330-300), extended the length for a refuel in SEL, and bumped two of us from Biz to PremEcon. My coworker called the airlines (twice) and was advised that "the seats are the same" but if so, why would they offer the following:

I can deal with limited food and drink options, and even no in-flight entertainment (which is what happened on our flight out), but I cannot tolerate a non-full-reclining seat for a 16 hour flight. Can anyone offer a comparison between the two classes based on experience?
Can't help you per se but a very quick search "Philippines Airlines premium economy" returns several images.

I'd be careful of accepting the "free business class tickets" as the text indicates clearly this is space available upgrades (ie confirmed on the day only) and not business class tickets.
reaganFF and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

So we arrived at MNL an extra hour early this morning and spoke with the ticket agent. My coworker - who is a very seasoned, experienced global traveler - politely told the agent we booked several months in advance and cannot travel Econ. She asked the agent to confirm that our seats are truly Biz and also asked to see a seat map. They assured us they were Biz and printed our boarding passes - our changed PremEcon seats that were in rows 24 and 25 are now showing us in row 4. Crisis averted!

Additional observation: the Mahubay lounge makes me long for the Star Alliance lounge in LAX.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 1:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
So we arrived at MNL an extra hour early this morning and spoke with the ticket agent. My coworker - who is a very seasoned, experienced global traveler - politely told the agent we booked several months in advance and cannot travel Econ. She asked the agent to confirm that our seats are truly Biz and also asked to see a seat map. They assured us they were Biz and printed our boarding passes - our changed PremEcon seats that were in rows 24 and 25 are now showing us in row 4. Crisis averted!

Additional observation: the Mahubay lounge makes me long for the Star Alliance lounge in LAX.
Good deal, worked out well. Did you happen to get a look at the rows 24 and 25 to see what they look like?
Old Jun 12, 2022, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
There are 3 versions of the A330.

One has PE in a 2-3-2 configuration in rows 21-24
Two have PE in 3-3-3 configuration, could be a row 25 but the PAL website doesnt number them!

The 2-3-2 version seems to be the better product, and probably is used for long-haul. Far from lie flat though.

The 3-3-3 versions surely would be worse - I suspect domestic/regional use - but could be used if crew/engines cleared for ETOPS.

2-3-2 config

3-3-3 config
reaganFF likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 5:46 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi

The 3-3-3 versions surely would be worse - I suspect domestic/regional use - but could be used if crew/engines cleared for ETOPS.
3-3-3 is surely just economy (with extra pitch?), given that most airlines who have that aircraft operate an 8 across economy cabin on the A330 (2-4-2)
Old Jun 12, 2022, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lokijuh
3-3-3 is surely just economy (with extra pitch?), given that most airlines who have that aircraft operate an 8 across economy cabin on the A330 (2-4-2)
PAL squeezes in 9 abreast in economy for 2/3 of their A333 versions!

PAL 333 domestic & international (363 seats total): states 312 economy 3-3-3, 33 PE 3-3-3, and 18 biz 2-2-2
(note the domestic seat map doesn't show the PE section, but still states 33 seats)
https://www.philippineairlines.com/e...0-363-Domestic
https://www.philippineairlines.com/e...usa330-300-363

PAL 333 international (309 seats total): states 267 economy 2-4-2, 24 PE 2-3-2, and 18 biz all aisle (alternating)
https://www.philippineairlines.com/e...airbusa330-300
Old Jun 12, 2022, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What was the business seat configuration? The staggered 'every seat get as airless'? or 2-2-2? (see my post above).

I ask that because if it was the latter, then PE would have been in 3-3-3 in what seems to effectively be an economy seat with a bit more leg room (aka UA E+).
Old Jun 24, 2022, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
Can't help you per se but a very quick search "Philippines Airlines premium economy" returns several images.

I'd be careful of accepting the "free business class tickets" as the text indicates clearly this is space available upgrades (ie confirmed on the day only) and not business class tickets.
Interesting my take on the text was quite different. I thought it was a free round-trip biz class ticket, which would be subject to regular seat availability at time of booking, with the voucher for the two free tickets to be issued at the airport!

Your take makes more sense!
Old Jun 24, 2022, 9:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Even if the airline gives the free upgrade at the airport to business class cert (which costs them nothing), customers are surely entitled to a refund of the fare difference (too). This would seem to be an easy credit card dispute if they refuse or procrastinate, assuming that one doesn't sign anything at the airport when accepting the upgrade cert.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 4:38 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, UA 1K, AA Gold, Bonvoy Gold

reaganFF so how was the flight?
PAL is less than 50% of the price of all other airlines for J from LAX to multiple cities in australia...i read great reviews before the pandemic, but onlay a few terrible reviews since...
also did you credit your miles anywhere? PAL isnt part of the major alliances...
thanks!
Old Jul 16, 2022, 8:10 pm

our changed PremEcon seats that were in rows 24 and 25 are now showing us in row 4. Crisis averted!
This is very strange indeed. Did you find out why you were changed from J to PE and back to J?
Old Jul 24, 2022, 12:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tinkerbell78
reaganFF so how was the flight?
PAL is less than 50% of the price of all other airlines for J from LAX to multiple cities in australia...i read great reviews before the pandemic, but onlay a few terrible reviews since...
also did you credit your miles anywhere? PAL isnt part of the major alliances...
thanks!
There is a reason why PAL is cheaper (but I don't think it's less than 50% of others, more like 25% cheaper). Their J configuration (from LAX) is OLD, 2-2-2, and not lay-flat. Depending on your destination, there is usually LONG layovers in MNL (a rather unpleasant airport)
Just remember-- you get what you pay for, and not all business classes are created equal.

Last edited by Mama; Jul 25, 2022 at 4:19 pm
Old Jan 1, 2023, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Just saw this - Sorry, I didn't go any further back than row 4 - the last row in Biz on that flight. Everything behind that row appeared to be Econ.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

The flight wasn't bad, a few issues with my seat but the crew was helpful and resolved quickly. My coworker attempted to get credit for her miles but was denied - I had a few trips right after and haven't looked into it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.