Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sri Lankan Airlines: book or no-go?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2022, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Sri Lankan Airlines: book or no-go?

With the current economic crisis and the country sliding into bankruptcy, any idea on whether the airline might sink? AFAIK it is state owned. I am wondering whether to book them for a transit via CMB in June or choose other options.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IMO the decision depends on *how* you plan to purchase the ticket. For example, USA credit (not debit) card? OLTA? Miles of some partner FF program?
dvs7310 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 7:25 am
Original Poster

It's going to be a cash ticket. Maybe credit card. If I buy it will be directly off their website.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 2:21 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Wondering if there would be some sort of One World support in terms of re-booking stranded passengers on other OW carriers, in case things go South with UL ?
Old Apr 16, 2022, 2:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
I'm still trying to get an approved refund out of them.

Not confident it will happen. Certainly wouldn't book again with UL at the moment.

Life's difficult enough as it is without actively seeking problems when you don't have to.
superboi likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by quarryking
Wondering if there would be some sort of One World support in terms of re-booking stranded passengers on other OW carriers, in case things go South with UL ?
Absolutely not. The moment they go bust, they cease to be a member of OW.

Like Malev previously - it went bust and their statused FFP passenger became unrecognized in OW lounges overnight. Some airlines that ply the same route may choose to match the status in their programs though.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 8:57 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
So far haven't heard of any cancellations. The next few months would be crucial i'd imagine.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by quarryking
So far haven't heard of any cancellations. The next few months would be crucial i'd imagine.
They sent me this email a couple of weeks ago, so they're planning on going places...

Old Apr 17, 2022, 1:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by superboi
It's going to be a cash ticket. Maybe credit card. If I buy it will be directly off their website.
Definitely use your credit card if you go forward. It will be a simple charge-back if they stop flying before your itinerary is complete, but probably a hopeless claim for refund if you pay cash.
superboi likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 9:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IMO the decision depends on *how* you plan to purchase the ticket. For example, USA credit (not debit) card? OLTA? Miles of some partner FF program?
Originally Posted by superboi
Originally Posted by dhuey
Definitely use your credit card if you go forward. It will be a simple charge-back if they stop flying before your itinerary is complete, but probably a hopeless claim for refund if you pay cash.
Definitely use a credit card. The reason that MSPeconomist asked if you have an American card, the US cards have some of the strongest consumer protection in the world and a chargeback would be nearly guaranteed. If you don't have access to that, then have a look at consumer protection on cards in your country. If you have access to Amex then it ususally takes the USA model. But aside from Amex, some countries are better than others, for example Japan is terrible and the onus is on the damaged consumer to prove otherwise.

In the end, if you are concerned with UL's longevity, then absolutely do not use cash or you'll never see it again if they do go down.
superboi and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 12:45 am
Original Poster

Thanks folks! Am now inclined against using UL, but if I book then credit card will be the way to go. Appreciate the feedback.
Old May 16, 2022, 3:21 am

Well, UL have really got me stumped.

I have 2 credit vouchers which they have agreed to refund in cash, but there has been no action on this for several months (lack of cash?).

So, I thought I'd help them out and maybe retrieve something from this debacle by asking for the credit to be used on an actual ticket!

The answer came back that as the vouchers were with "online-refunds" for (non) processing, nothing could be done.

Stay away from UL if you value your cash (and sanity). Sad but true, as I actually did like their service.
Old May 16, 2022, 6:31 pm

Not directly related to the issues being discussed this far, but I'm looking at SIN-LHR redemption and the only option being presented is UL via CMB that has an overnight transit. Is it safe to exit the airport and stay overnight at a nearby hotel under current political turmoil?
Old May 17, 2022, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Not directly related to the issues being discussed this far, but I'm looking at SIN-LHR redemption and the only option being presented is UL via CMB that has an overnight transit. Is it safe to exit the airport and stay overnight at a nearby hotel under current political turmoil?
It might be, but I wouldn't do it.

Perhaps you could look at the airside Serenediva Airport Transit Colombo Hotel, which I assume is still operating? I've stayed there and it's not too bad.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 3:15 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
It is not the airline in trouble is the issue. It is the lack of jet fuel at CMB that is the major concern.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.