Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

China Eastern MU5735 737-800 [not MAX] Crashed 21 March 2022, 132 onboard

Old Mar 21, 2022, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: starflyergold
WELCOME, MODERATOR GUIDELINES and SUMMARY
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
If you are new to us, welcome to FlyerTalk!

Who we are: FlyerTalk features discussions and chat boards that covers the most up-to-date traveler information; an interactive community dedicated to the topic of travel (not politics or arguments about politics or religion, etc.)

All travelers are welcome in the community. Just choose a forum: conversing about airlines and their programs, airports, destinations, dining and how to make the most of your miles and points, or visit our Information Desk to start.

We do have some Rules, and everyone agrees to abide by these when they are granted free membership privileges. On a topic that generates a lot of feelings and perspectives, please remember "welcoming, respectful" are key words on FlyerTalk.

As with previous accident threads, please observe the following in this thread:

1. The normal FT Rules apply. (Including not discussing moderation actions on-thread). And please be particularly attentive to "discussing the idea and not the poster" when you have a disagreement. Civility and mutual respect are still expected and are what we owe each other as a community.

2. You are expected to respect our diversity, and therefore refrain from posting inflammatory comments about race, religion, culture, politics, ethnicity, orientation, etc." Do not cite, copy, or report on such.

3. Please do continue to be attentive to the sensibilities of the families of those on the flight. Think about if you were them what you would and would not want to see posted. Reasonable speculation about what happened is permissible; please, though, do not indulge in inflammatory or overly-lurid descriptions or depictions (or links to same) that could well be hurtful.

4. Overly / extravagantly exaggerative posts such as conspiracy theories, posts beyond the realm of science and known facts, etc. as well as posts with information that has been posted several times previously may be summarily deleted. Moderator actions may not be discussed in posts on FlyerTalk.

5. FlyerTalk complies with international copyright agreements. Please do not post full copyrighted articles; summarize the salient points, cite properly and post links. Entire copyrighted articles will be summarily deleted.

6. In addition, those who repeatedly fail to comply with FlyerTalk Rules or the guidelines for this thread may be subjected to FlyerTalk disciplinary actions and have membership privileges suspended, forum masks, etc.
Print Wikipost

China Eastern MU5735 737-800 [not MAX] Crashed 21 March 2022, 132 onboard

Old Mar 22, 2022, 3:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by dhuey
Of course it's pure speculation on my part, but I've seen above that the nose-dive happened right around the time the plane would have begun its normal descent. In my experience as a passenger, that's when the pilots often make their restroom breaks. I think the timing of the problem makes pilot suicide/mass murder a most plausible explanation. I don't know if this Chinese airline does what U.S. airlines do with swapping in/out a FA for a pilot with restroom breaks. But really, what would a FA in the cockpit do if the pilot were to suddenly point the plane down in an almost vertical trajectory? Maybe grab the controls at the vacant seat and try to pull up? That would be consistent with this plane's ill-fated path to the ground.
So what are possible causes? My Holiday Inn Express version of the more likely causes are:

1. pilot suicide (50%)
2. yet unexplained large un-commanded rudder deflection (20%)
3. microburst/weather (10%)
4. yet unexplained large un-commanded elevator deflection (10%)
5. hijacking and disabling of the pilots (9%)
6. bomb (1%)
mtofell likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 4:15 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I think I read somewhere that there were three pilots on this flight, although I'm not sure why MU would fly with three.
That's common in China. They fly around with three pilots in a 50-seat E-145.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 4:25 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
They might not get the CVR/FDR back https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...d-before-crash

”The China Eastern Airlines Corp. jet that crashed Monday was traveling at close to the speed of sound in the moments before it slammed into a hillside, according to a Bloomberg News review of flight-track data.

“Such an impact may complicate the task for investigators because it can obliterate evidence and, in rare cases, damage a plane’s data and voice recorders that are designed to withstand most crashes.”

Last edited by l etoile; Mar 22, 2022 at 4:59 pm Reason: Added article summary per rules
Old Mar 22, 2022, 4:30 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
Makes me wonder what G load it took to recover ..... but that must await more hardware and FDR evidence, perhaps even the CVR would confirm something about this ala GOL if they don't find the FDR
I actually ran the numbers for the final couple minutes based on ADS-B data. Basically change in vspeed from previous reading converted to acceleration in g +1g for constant gravity load.

It's some interesting data that show two distinct nearly 2g recovery maneuvers. Also shows that it was accelerating toward the ground, not just in freefall.

Old Mar 22, 2022, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
So what are possible causes? My Holiday Inn Express version of the more likely causes are:

1. pilot suicide (50%)
2. yet unexplained large un-commanded rudder deflection (20%)
3. microburst/weather (10%)
4. yet unexplained large un-commanded elevator deflection (10%)
5. hijacking and disabling of the pilots (9%)
6. bomb (1%)
Doesn't fit with the intense recovery part. Unless the other pilot was wrestling with the controls.

I'd add some sort of stabilizer deflection or jackscrew problem (different from the elevators), some sort of massive structural failure like a piece of wing, stabilizer, tail, etc... falling off.

Just thinking maybe a door fell off, hit something very important but they didn't know and initiated an emergency descent but then quickly found it unrecoverable and things may have gotten more damaged from the speed and recovery attempts.
MSPeconomist and chrisfwm like this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 5:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
Doesn't fit with the intense recovery part. Unless the other pilot was wrestling with the controls.
One possibility is other pilot was in the restroom while the FA in that pilot's place wrestled with their controls.
MSPeconomist and mtofell like this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
I actually ran the numbers for the final couple minutes based on ADS-B data. Basically change in vspeed from previous reading converted to acceleration in g +1g for constant gravity load.

It's some interesting data that show two distinct nearly 2g recovery maneuvers. Also shows that it was accelerating toward the ground, not just in freefall.

Acceleration downward is consistent with trying to recover from a stall. And the stall speed could have been substantially increased if parts of the aircraft were damaged or fell off.
nk15 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by STS-134
Acceleration downward is consistent with trying to recover from a stall. And the stall speed could have been substantially increased if parts of the aircraft were damaged or fell off.
Wouldn't a stall be some short acceleration downward and then relatively little as it would be in freefall? Each minor gridline is 15s so that's almost 30 seconds of increasing the fall rate until getting to negative gs. I would think it would have to be a powered dive to maintain such a continued decrease in vspeed.

Also IAS was 457 kts at that point.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 6:52 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Also IAS was 457 kts at that point.
Ground speed, not indicated airspeed. IAS won't be determined until the FDR is recovered and the data retrieved.

In any case, the Vmo, the maximum IAS is 340. In cruise flight, IAS in the mid-200s.
wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 7:41 pm

Programs: AS 75K
One possibility is other pilot was in the restroom while the FA in that pilot's place wrestled with their controls.
Yep, super common time for a pilot restroom break is right before beginning the descent.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
And the third pilot was scoring the fight between the second pilot and the FA....
Old Mar 22, 2022, 8:16 pm

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by nk15
And the third pilot was scoring the fight between the second pilot and the FA....
I'm surprised to see any discussion of a third pilot. I've flown on quite a few 737s over the years, and best I can recall, it's always been with only two on-duty pilots (not counting uniformed pilots in the cabin getting a free ride).

Is it confirmed that there were three on-duty pilots for this flight?
Old Mar 22, 2022, 8:33 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Is it confirmed that there were three on-duty pilots for this flight?
Pretty much.

Read about it from several sources.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 8:41 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LarryJ
That's common in China. They fly around with three pilots in a 50-seat E-145.
That's interesting but WHY? It seems more costly than necessary.

However, the MU flight had three pilots. If one goes to the lav, two remain in the cockpit, perhaps with a FA coming into the cockpit too.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Mar 25, 2022 at 10:34 am Reason: Please use multi-quote function
Old Mar 22, 2022, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by STS-134
This does indeed look like stall, acceleration, recovery, and unrecoverable stall again...to my untrained eye...but I don't know if it fits all the measurements...

It reminds me a bit of the Colgan Air crash, that stalled irrecoverably right at final approach...due to icing, wrong inputs and crew fatigue.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.