Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

China Eastern MU5735 737-800 [not MAX] Crashed 21 March 2022, 132 onboard

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2022, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: starflyergold
WELCOME, MODERATOR GUIDELINES and SUMMARY
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
If you are new to us, welcome to FlyerTalk!

Who we are: FlyerTalk features discussions and chat boards that covers the most up-to-date traveler information; an interactive community dedicated to the topic of travel (not politics or arguments about politics or religion, etc.)

All travelers are welcome in the community. Just choose a forum: conversing about airlines and their programs, airports, destinations, dining and how to make the most of your miles and points, or visit our Information Desk to start.

We do have some Rules, and everyone agrees to abide by these when they are granted free membership privileges. On a topic that generates a lot of feelings and perspectives, please remember "welcoming, respectful" are key words on FlyerTalk.

As with previous accident threads, please observe the following in this thread:

1. The normal FT Rules apply. (Including not discussing moderation actions on-thread). And please be particularly attentive to "discussing the idea and not the poster" when you have a disagreement. Civility and mutual respect are still expected and are what we owe each other as a community.

2. You are expected to respect our diversity, and therefore refrain from posting inflammatory comments about race, religion, culture, politics, ethnicity, orientation, etc." Do not cite, copy, or report on such.

3. Please do continue to be attentive to the sensibilities of the families of those on the flight. Think about if you were them what you would and would not want to see posted. Reasonable speculation about what happened is permissible; please, though, do not indulge in inflammatory or overly-lurid descriptions or depictions (or links to same) that could well be hurtful.

4. Overly / extravagantly exaggerative posts such as conspiracy theories, posts beyond the realm of science and known facts, etc. as well as posts with information that has been posted several times previously may be summarily deleted. Moderator actions may not be discussed in posts on FlyerTalk.

5. FlyerTalk complies with international copyright agreements. Please do not post full copyrighted articles; summarize the salient points, cite properly and post links. Entire copyrighted articles will be summarily deleted.

6. In addition, those who repeatedly fail to comply with FlyerTalk Rules or the guidelines for this thread may be subjected to FlyerTalk disciplinary actions and have membership privileges suspended, forum masks, etc.
Print Wikipost

China Eastern MU5735 737-800 [not MAX] Crashed 21 March 2022, 132 onboard

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2022, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
I find it interesting that you single out one quote to try and prove a point. LarryJ never said it was not intentional, just that it was premature to conclude that, which is an entirely reasonable take. As his posts made clear, it was about keeping an open mind, and not jumping to conclusions on something when you have no data to back it up (which anyone saying this was obviously intentional, without seeing any of the data recorder data, would be talking out their rear end). Thank goodness most users in this thread aren't actual investigator, or we'd never get to the root cause of accidents since they would latch on to the most sensational or first theory they come up with.

Ever heard of confirmation bias? If you go into it
As I said earlier, it wasn't what he was saying but how he was saying it. He was condescending and dismissive toward posters (yes, several) who believed that something felt off about this whole thing and believed that pilot suicide was going to be the eventual conclusion. What exactly do posters need to keep an open mind about? As you said above, we are not investigators, nobody is consulting us. We are posting our opinions as to what we think happened.
Cholula likes this.
Old May 19, 2022, 12:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Sandeep1
As I said earlier, it wasn't what he was saying but how he was saying it. He was condescending and dismissive toward posters (yes, several) who believed that something felt off about this whole thing and believed that pilot suicide was going to be the eventual conclusion. What exactly do posters need to keep an open mind about? As you said above, we are not investigators, nobody is consulting us. We are posting our opinions as to what we think happened.
You and I made the same guess on pilot sabotage, and LarryJ disagreed with both of us on the most likely cause. I never thought he was the slightest bit dismissive or condescending toward either of us. He simply disagreed with us.
Old May 19, 2022, 12:40 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Sandeep1
As I said earlier, it wasn't what he was saying but how he was saying it. He was condescending and dismissive toward posters (yes, several)
While I probably have not read the entire thread, and probably don't remember many early posts, with all due respect, I have followed LarryJ's posts for years, and don't believe that there were condescending posts.

And I don't have the time to search to see if there are any.
notquiteaff, nancypants and cowie like this.
Old May 20, 2022, 1:47 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do we know for sure that all three were in the cockpit at the time? If one goes to the lavatory and is locked out, can the trainee prevent a crash or even recognize immediately that something is very wrong?
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
Is there confirmation that 3 pilots were in the cockpit at the time?

How about the condition of the CVR, can any noises like bangging on the cockpit door be heard?
Once again I think we are in the realm of human psyche and that stuff is left up to China in a final report if at all.
Originally Posted by EmailKid
This
I asked the same question earlier, and in fact earlier by less than ten posts and about five hours.
Old May 20, 2022, 3:25 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I asked the same question earlier, and in fact earlier by less than ten posts and about five hours.
Well a lack of a public answer is like fertilizer on a garden of weeds
I'm patient, I will wait.

\I really can't accept yet, interpretations based on what other countries have regulated since this was an interior flight in China
Old May 26, 2022, 4:02 am

As with LarryJ, I too won’t be foolish enough to accept as definitive fact a leak from a headline grabbing, ‘exclusive’ addicted industry.
Anyone who has attended an airline command course will no doubt have sat through a module or lecture on the media, their methods and practices.

I have observed and remained silent, the report is what is needed and patience until it arrives. One thing that has bugged me is the interpretation of the data from that Flightradar24 post on social media outlets.

In my interpretation of a few lines of data collected by hobbyists which is not as valid or official (if you will) as that which will have been captured by the FDRs, there is an anomaly in those believing the data and ‘leak’ point in one direction alone.

Put simply ‘if’ a recovery was attempted and had actually started to work, there would be an associated increase in ground speed, as transitioning through level flight will see the kinetic energy of the aircraft propelling it across the surface of the earth, thus increasing ground speed. Throughout the entire event the ground speed only decreases. Given the aircraft will be accelerating throughout the dive it is likely it entered the transonic speed range. A known altimetry error is nick named ‘transonic jump’. The increase in altitude data over a 40 second period could possibly have been due to this phenomenon. Remember that ADS isn’t a second by second narration, there is lag and their our plenty of other errors with LOS limitations between transmission and reception. It is just a snap shot and not definitive data.

We don’t know, we don’t have the data the investigation team do, as LarryJ has pointed out, there are still plenty of competing theories.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 26, 2022, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Sigwx
We don’t know, we don’t have the data the investigation team do, as LarryJ has pointed out, there are still plenty of competing theories.
“The plane did what it was told to do by someone in the cockpit,” said a person who is familiar with American officials’ preliminary assessment, which includes an analysis of information extracted from the plane’s damaged flight-data recorder.

-- The above is from the Wall Street Journal article. It's possible that the paper's source is incorrect regarding the American officials' preliminary assessment. It's also possible that the preliminary assessment is incorrect. I wouldn't bet on either of those two possibilities. The WSJ is a highly-regarded news organization, and by all indications they have a knowledgeable insider as a source.
Old May 26, 2022, 11:19 am
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by dhuey
“The plane did what it was told to do by someone in the cockpit,” said a person who is familiar with American officials’ preliminary assessment, which includes an analysis of information extracted from the plane’s damaged flight-data recorder.

-- The above is from the Wall Street Journal article. It's possible that the paper's source is incorrect regarding the American officials' preliminary assessment. It's also possible that the preliminary assessment is incorrect. I wouldn't bet on either of those two possibilities. The WSJ is a highly-regarded news organization, and by all indications they have a knowledgeable insider as a source.
First off I don't have any first hand or even second have knowledge about this accident. But I have been close enough to others, including interviews with the WSJ to understand the possible flow of information..
My belief is that no one close to knowing was involved with the WSJ. Instead it was probably overheard or beer conversations among friends that hinted at a strong likelihood (opinion) Subsequently this third hand, often as a reliable expert to the WSJ offered it as 2nd hand knowledge thus filling a gap in the status.

For myself I would never ask a direct source in a investigation , preferring instead to only offer explanations and not official facts..

I pretty much get what I want from parsing the expertise in forums like this.
Old May 26, 2022, 11:24 am

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA

We all know American officials are impartial, non-political entities with an impeccable history, such as their handling of the 737 MAX.
Old May 26, 2022, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Dave510
We all know American officials are impartial, non-political entities with an impeccable history, such as their handling of the 737 MAX.
That's a sweeping implicit knock on American officials involved in aviation. Have the officials involved in crash investigations ever succumbed to political pressure to conclude or not conclude anything regarding the cause(s) of commercial airliner crashes? I can't think of any examples of that. From everything I've seen, the U.S. National Transportation Safety Board is held in high-regard, globally.

ETA: Regarding the 737 MAX, the NTSB concluded that the Federal Aviation Administration needed to make multiple changes to its design-safety assessments. It was anything but a politically-motivated defense of a U.S. aircraft manufacturer: NTSB Issues 7 Safety Recommendations to FAA related to Ongoing Lion Air, Ethiopian Airlines Crash Investigations

Last edited by dhuey; May 26, 2022 at 12:36 pm
Old May 26, 2022, 12:34 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
That's a sweeping implicit knock on American officials involved in aviation. Have the officials involved in crash investigations ever succumbed to political pressure to conclude or not conclude anything regarding the cause(s) of commercial airliner crashes? I can't think of any examples of that. From everything I've seen the U.S. National Transportation Safety Board is held in high-regard, globally.
What's the general time frame for these investigations to be completed? And why would any party to the investigation, who has any sense of responsibility at all, be leaking what they THINK caused the crash, merely 2 months into the investigation, and when they're not even the relevant party.

Also, has any crash investigators actually come forward, or is this just based on WSJ's hearsay?
Old May 26, 2022, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Dave510
What's the general time frame for these investigations to be completed? And why would any party to the investigation, who has any sense of responsibility at all, be leaking what they THINK caused the crash, merely 2 months into the investigation, and when they're not even the relevant party.

Also, has any crash investigators actually come forward, or is this just based on WSJ's hearsay?
I believe others mentioned above that the time frame is something like one year from the crash, give or take. I don't know.

As for why anyone would leak this information, there are any number of reasons -- we can only guess. The WSJ reporter and the editor involved surely looked closely at who the source was, and how they claimed to have access to a preliminary assessment. They made a judgment that this source was sufficiently reliable to run the story, and without naming their source.

To be sure, it might turn out that this source was mistaken or even lying. That would eventually come out, and it would be very embarrassing to the WSJ. I'm betting it won't happen, and that this will prove to be an accurate report of the NTSB's preliminary assessment.
Old May 26, 2022, 1:04 pm

American Airlines 965 which crashed in Cali, Columbia also did exactly what “someone in the cockpit” told the aircraft to do. It did it perfectly.

Any media outlet is able to present their version of the truth to fit their own aims. We either ascribe to their point of view/argument, or we do not.

not trying to disagree, merely point out that there are plenty of examples of aircraft doing exactly what they are told to do, not always does that mean there was nefarious intent.

In response to questions over time scales, it all depends on the complexity of the investigation. It takes as long as it takes.
Old May 26, 2022, 1:17 pm

Programs: AS 75K
American Airlines 965 which crashed in Cali, Columbia also did exactly what “someone in the cockpit” told the aircraft to do. It did it perfectly.

Any media outlet is able to present their version of the truth to fit their own aims. We either ascribe to their point of view/argument, or we do not.

not trying to disagree, merely point out that there are plenty of examples of aircraft doing exactly what they are told to do, not always does that mean there was nefarious intent.

In response to questions over time scales, it all depends on the complexity of the investigation. It takes as long as it takes.
Agree but it seems most times there's a faulty part involved which leads the pilots to "tell the plane" to do something incorrect (the MAX 8 might even fit this). Unless I missed it, there hasn't been a single problem identified with the plane. Of course, we're dealing with the Chinese government so they could be withholding things.
Old May 26, 2022, 1:30 pm

From the WSJ article: "Also underpinning the American officials’ assessment, this person said: Chinese authorities, who are leading the investigation, so far haven’t flagged any mechanical or flight-control problems with the plane involved in the March 21 crash in southern China."

The AA 965 pilots found themselves in the wrong valley as the approached the airport for landing. They realized their mistake too late to avoid slamming into a high mountain range. Hard to see any relevance of that here. Can you think of any non-nefarious reason why a pilot on this flight would have put the plane into a nearly-vertical nose dive?
mtofell likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.