Vietnam Airlines Launching San Francisco Flights

Old Nov 17, 21, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Vietnam Airlines Launching San Francisco Flights

https://onemileatatime.com/news/viet...cisco-flights/

SkyTeam member Vietnam Airlines will begin flying between Ho Chi Minh City (SGN) and San Francisco (SFO) as of November 28, 2021 (that’s right, in just over a week). The new flight will operate with the following schedule:

VN98 Ho Chi Minh City to San Francisco departing 8:40PM arriving 7:30PM
VN99 San Francisco to Ho Chi Minh City departing 11:00PM arriving 6:40AM (+2 days)
I'm not sure where to really post this since VN doesn't have its own forum. Anyways, this is pretty exciting news for SkyTeam fans. I'm not aware of any other airlines flying direct from the US to Vietnam. I'm curious what the pricing will be like. Hopefully, it'll be competitive!
Old Nov 21, 21, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
https://onemileatatime.com/news/viet...cisco-flights/

I'm not sure where to really post this since VN doesn't have its own forum. Anyways, this is pretty exciting news for SkyTeam fans. I'm not aware of any other airlines flying direct from the US to Vietnam. I'm curious what the pricing will be like. Hopefully, it'll be competitive!
if this is the only nonstop Viet-USA flight, it will be in good demand, and not cheap.
Old Nov 21, 21, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mama View Post
if this is the only nonstop Viet-USA flight, it will be in good demand, and not cheap.
As far as I can tell, this will be the only one for the foreseeable future.

Maybe VN can modify its planes or acquire others that have more capacity.

I would love to see UA fly to Vietnam though.
Old Nov 22, 21, 8:50 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Asiana Diamond, Krisflyer Gold, AC 50K
UA flew to Saigon/HCM as late as... 2016? With a stop in Hong Kong on their 747s. While that tag flight is likely never coming back, perhaps this will spur them to try. They do Singapore already, so it's definitely possible
Old Nov 29, 21, 10:26 pm

Can anyone find an available date to book this? They started flying today, but I cant find any tickets available on their website.

https://www.flysfo.com/vietnam-airlines

Old Nov 29, 21, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 18wheeler_vanrekt View Post
UA flew to Saigon/HCM as late as... 2016? With a stop in Hong Kong on their 747s. While that tag flight is likely never coming back, perhaps this will spur them to try. They do Singapore already, so it's definitely possible
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...late-oct-2016/
Old Dec 2, 21, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP 6MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti View Post
Can anyone find an available date to book this? They started flying today, but I cant find any tickets available on their website.

https://www.flysfo.com/vietnam-airlines

https://twitter.com/flysfo/status/14...484330497?s=21
You cannot find tickets available on VNA website because for the time being, the SGN-SFO / SFO-SGN flights are not really commercial flights.

To get a ticket you must start with the Embassy of Vietnam of the Consulate of Vietnam (San Francisco, Houston). The registration process will involve specific approved hotels for mandatory quarantine, what you can/cannot do during the first 7 days, and so on...
This is the similar process used previously for humanitarian flights to accommodate Vietnamese leaving overseas who has a dire need to return home and are willing to accept the quarantine and testing protocol in country.

The difference with this "inaugural flight" from previous humanitarian flights is that the flights are now regularly scheduled, instead on an as-needed basis previously. There may be also a price difference between the humanitarian flight and the "commercial" flight, however I am not 100% sure.
Note that there are currently only a handful of cities in Vietnam that are approved by the VN government to receive foreign visitors, Saigon is not one of them. Thus the inaugural return flight was actually SFO - DAD (Da Nang City in the Central Coast).

Local news reported that the inbound flight from SGN had 40 customers while the outbound flight to DAD had 170 pax.

The CEO of VNA has expected the flight to lose money for the next 2 years, if my memory is correct.
Old Dec 3, 21, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by hxhbk View Post
You cannot find tickets available on VNA website because for the time being, the SGN-SFO / SFO-SGN flights are not really commercial flights.

To get a ticket you must start with the Embassy of Vietnam of the Consulate of Vietnam (San Francisco, Houston). The registration process will involve specific approved hotels for mandatory quarantine, what you can/cannot do during the first 7 days, and so on...
This is the similar process used previously for humanitarian flights to accommodate Vietnamese leaving overseas who has a dire need to return home and are willing to accept the quarantine and testing protocol in country.

The difference with this "inaugural flight" from previous humanitarian flights is that the flights are now regularly scheduled, instead on an as-needed basis previously. There may be also a price difference between the humanitarian flight and the "commercial" flight, however I am not 100% sure.
Note that there are currently only a handful of cities in Vietnam that are approved by the VN government to receive foreign visitors, Saigon is not one of them. Thus the inaugural return flight was actually SFO - DAD (Da Nang City in the Central Coast).

Local news reported that the inbound flight from SGN had 40 customers while the outbound flight to DAD had 170 pax.

The CEO of VNA has expected the flight to lose money for the next 2 years, if my memory is correct.
Thanks, thats really good info. Appreciate it.

Sounds like there is a strict quarantine in Vietnam, what happens with the crew? Are they allowed into San Francisco or do they just stay on the plane for a turnaround.
Old Dec 3, 21, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti View Post
Thanks, thats really good info. Appreciate it.

Sounds like there is a strict quarantine in Vietnam, what happens with the crew? Are they allowed into San Francisco or do they just stay on the plane for a turnaround.
I don't have solid information on the VNA crew.
Anything I say would be purely speculative on my part.
Old Dec 19, 21, 5:07 pm

Did the news they'd open up commercial flights Dec 15 not happen?
Old Dec 19, 21, 11:41 pm

Programs: CA Gold/ UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
?

please look at reply number 5.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 20, 21, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by minhaoxue View Post
?

please look at reply number 5.
Vietnamese newspapers were reporting that they'd start commercial flights Dec 15. As far as I know this wasn't in English media.
The link in #5 is old news, the Vietnamese news was about flying to LAX.
From what I can tell in English media the date for Vietnam somewhat opening has been pushed back to January.
Old Dec 20, 21, 11:35 pm

Programs: CA Gold/ UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium
Vietnamese newspapers were reporting that they'd start commercial flights Dec 15. As far as I know this wasn't in English media.
The link in #5 is old news, the Vietnamese news was about flying to LAX.
From what I can tell in English media the date for Vietnam somewhat opening has been pushed back to January.
Actually reply #5 is not old news and is from the inaugural flight into SFO on November 29, 2001. The flight has been operating 2 times per week, Sunday and Wednesday as VN 98/99.

a simple google search would also give you information.

Old Dec 23, 21, 10:04 am

According to Vietnamese news media, the government has authorized the resume of international commercial flights on Jan 1 2022 for the following destinations: Beijing/Guangzhou, Tokyo, Seoul, Taipei, Bangkok, Singapore, Vientiane, Phnom Penh, San Francisco/Los Angeles.

Vietnam Airlines had their pseudo commercial flights to SFO since late November. Both Vietnam Airlines and Bamboo Airways have been looking at Los Angeles because of the large Vietnamese-American population in Southern California.

At this moment, there are still COVD restrictions, such as 3-day quarantine, for fully vaccinated (including booster) travelers to Vietnam.
Old Dec 23, 21, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hxhbk View Post
According to Vietnamese news media, the government has authorized the resume of international commercial flights on Jan 1 2022 for the following destinations: Beijing/Guangzhou, Tokyo, Seoul, Taipei, Bangkok, Singapore, Vientiane, Phnom Penh, San Francisco/Los Angeles.

Vietnam Airlines had their pseudo commercial flights to SFO since late November. Both Vietnam Airlines and Bamboo Airways have been looking at Los Angeles because of the large Vietnamese-American population in Southern California.

At this moment, there are still COVD restrictions, such as 3-day quarantine, for fully vaccinated (including booster) travelers to Vietnam.
Three days is still better than China.
minhaoxue likes this.

Search this Thread