Wiki Posts
Search

Garuda Customer Service Number or advice

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2020, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Garuda Customer Service Number or advice

Hi everyone, long time lurker here!

I'm having major difficulties getting a refund / chargeback for flights that I booked through a travel agent, that the airline repeatedly sent flight modification emails, modifying my flights by up to 2 days. The travel agency agreed to cancel the flights (I have an email confirming this), but never did, and they're now disputing my credit card chargeback, saying that I voluntarily missed my flights, due to COVID fears, and claiming that my original bookings still existed, on my original flights. I don't understand how that could be the case, as I received 5 flight modification emails from Garuda via Amadeus.

I've tried contacting Garuda to get them to email me the details of any flight modifications and the final flights I was booked on, but none of their phone numbers appear to be operating - I keep being told to email them. Whenever I email with the booking reference number and my request, they reply telling me that "Of course we'll help. Please give us your booking reference number". When I reply, again with the booking reference number, I get a response telling me that "We want to assist you with this matter. Please send us your booking reference number"...

I feel like I'm going mad!

Can anyone offer any advice, or does anyone have a phone number for Garuda that is likely to actually lead to a person on the other end?

Thanks in advance for your help with this!
Old Oct 24, 2020, 4:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
But, you say that the carrier emailed you the changes as they occurred. Thus, you already have them. It is also unclear whether the travel agent merely agreed to cancel the flights or to refund the tickets.

If the latter, I would start this process over and submit the documentation demonstrating that the flights were changed and further that the TA has already agreed to refund the ticket.

Successful chargebacks usually depend on proper documentation and, in this case, you should already have all that you need.
Old Oct 24, 2020, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Might be useful if you gave more info. itinerary, date, TA,...
Have you made a chargeback request to your credit card and what is their response?
Did the flight on the original booking operate?
What is the precise wording of the TA email? Do you have an email from the TA confirming that they ask for a refund?
Old Oct 25, 2020, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
This has nothing to do with AFKL. This thread should be moved to the Other Asia Airlines forum where OP could expect to have better answers than here.
irishguy28 and fifty_two like this.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 7:25 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by Travel kitten

Can anyone offer any advice, or does anyone have a phone number for Garuda that is likely to actually lead to a person on the other end?

Thanks in advance for your help with this!
Garuda email support is a joke(*).
In the past, I've been able to communicate with human beings on the 62 21 2351 9999 and 0804 1 807 807. Waiting time can be frustrating.
Keep in mind that the level of your interlocutor will be random. I've found that the easiest way to deal with a speaker that's not willing (or not able) to help is by hanging up and calling again.
You can also try the chat, but be ready to speak for 2 hours with an average of 5 minutes between each message.

(*) Last time I contacted them for a ticket that was not properly issued, they sent me automated responses for days, exactly the same as the ones you got. I feel for you. The first time I got an actual human response by email was 2 months after the flight took place, so don't hold your breath.

Last edited by maalloc; Oct 25, 2020 at 12:17 pm
Old Oct 25, 2020, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I'm having major difficulties getting a refund / chargeback for flights that I booked through a travel agent, that the airline repeatedly sent flight modification emails, modifying my flights by up to 2 days. The travel agency agreed to cancel the flights (I have an email confirming this), but never did, and they're now disputing my credit card chargeback
This has nothing to do with Garuda; your dispute is with the travel agent, who did not do what they said they would do. You said above that you have their confirmation in writing that they would cancel.

Therefore, any other discussion around any other issue is noise; they have seemingly successfully sent you off on a wild-goose chase.

You were entitled to cancel the ticket; you asked them to cancel the ticket; they agreed in writing to cancel the ticket.

That is all you need. Whether and if the flights operated is irrelevant; your agent agreed to cancel the reservation, and therefore you get your money back.

Do not contact Garuda; do not call Garuda; you are wasting your own time by going down this rabbit hole that the TA has successfully diverted you into.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 11:22 am

Garuda and OTA, different situation but similar problems

Hi, I have experienced a slightly similar issue with Garuda (GA) and an OTA which I would like to discuss with the FT community. I know this might not be the best placed forum / thread but any ideas / feedback would be sincerely appreciated.

I booked 2 return tickets last year on GA MEL-DPS for April 2020, through an Australian OTA. Fast forward to 2020, and GA cancelled the flights in March due to the Covid-19 situation. At first the OTA was only willing to provide a voucher but eventually agreed to provide a refund back to the original form of payment within 12 to 15 weeks, minus OTA cancellation and airline cancellation fees, as per ticket fare rules (yes, even if it was due to an involuntary cancellation). Eventually, and following pressure from the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission, the OTA agreed to waive also its own cancellation fees. (I have all of the above in writing).

Fast forward 4 months from the original refund request, and after getting the same standard response that the tickets would be refunded within 15 weeks -never happened- I submitted a chargeback with the Australian credit card company. (Which, for unrelated reasons, took longer than usual to be processed). I have now received the response from the merchant to the chargeback quoting their own Terms and Conditions, that state the following, Where you seek a refund for a cancelled booking for which payment has been made to the supplier, we will not provide a refund to you until we receive the funds from that supplier.

So basically, they are saying that no refund for the client until they get the money back from the airline, which after 7 months, I am not sure it is actually going to happen. I have yet to write back to the bank, any suggestions? And yes, I know I shouldn't have booked with such unreliable OTA in the first place!!
Old Oct 25, 2020, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Hi all, thanks so much for your replies! It's been a frantic 24 hours dealing with this, as well as attempting socially distanced birthday celebrations outside in crappy London London weather!
So, AMEX have decided in my favour, after initially deciding in the OTA's favour and closing the case against me (Alternative Airlines appear to have attempted fraud by faking "proof" that my original flights departed, as planned, and that I still had seats on board and was a no-show). I convinced them to reopen the case, then spent a week gathering evidence against them.
Things I've discovered:
- Not one of my scheduled flights on my 4 flight itinerary departed
- My entire itinerary was cancelled by Garuda several days before I phoned my OTA to cancel my flights (I didn't mention above - the itinerary change notifications I received in Juna and early July had me departing Makassar 61 hours before I arrived into Makassar, in flagrant contradiction of all known laws of Physics), which was why I phoned them to cancel - when I got them on the phone, my flights were already cancelled by the airline, and they said nothing, and have been lying ever since
- Garuda still believed that they were entitled to keep my money and offer me a travel voucher, even after *they'd* cancelled all 4 flights on my itinerary, and my entire booking
- Garuda CS is beyond a joke, and quite unpleasant and rude
- Alternative airlines (UK based) would rather commit fraud than refund a flight that has already been cancelled
- OTAs are best avoided, unless they come with a personal recommendation from someone you know, even if there is a tempting Ł20 cashback offer on your AMEX...
Thanks so much for all of your replies and advice, I really appreciate it. Yesterday I was completely stressed out, trying to wade through all of their bullsh*t!
Thanks so much!
Cat
P.S. Is it just me, or is sending "screenshots" of proof that flights that departed (but didn't), and claiming that they show my booking still existed, utterly and completely fraudulent and illegal?
Old Oct 25, 2020, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Hey @Often1, when I disputed the charge the first time, I just included the flight modification emails and the information that they had agreed to cancel the flights and refund on the phone. The email just mentioned cancelling the flights.
I wasn't expecting the OTA to dispute the chargeback, as they had agreed to cancel and refund on the phone. I was shocked when (2 months later, and giving up on the refund happening without action on my part) they refused and submitted what is essentially fraudulent documentation. As a result, AMEX decided in their favour initially.
I did just that, and had forwarded the email, and was in the process of gathering proof that not one of my 4 flights actually flew, when AMEX changed their minds and closed the case in my favour yesterday evening.
NEVER BOOK WITH ALTERNATIVE AIRLINES.
They're a bunch of crooks.
Thanks for your help!
Old Oct 25, 2020, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
But, you say that the carrier emailed you the changes as they occurred. Thus, you already have them. It is also unclear whether the travel agent merely agreed to cancel the flights or to refund the tickets.

If the latter, I would start this process over and submit the documentation demonstrating that the flights were changed and further that the TA has already agreed to refund the ticket.

Successful chargebacks usually depend on proper documentation and, in this case, you should already have all that you need.
Originally Posted by brunos
Might be useful if you gave more info. itinerary, date, TA,...
Have you made a chargeback request to your credit card and what is their response?
Did the flight on the original booking operate?
What is the precise wording of the TA email? Do you have an email from the TA confirming that they ask for a refund?
Hey, yes, I tried a chargeback initially, and they decided in the OTA's favour. Thankfully, I got them to reopen it, and gathered more evidence (honestly, as they had agreed to the refund initially, I was astonished when they disputed it and started lying - I'm so naive. clearly!).
None of the 4 flights on my original itinerary actually flew. I'm astonished that Alternative Airlines thought they could get away with not refunding me.
Thanks for your help Brunos!
Old Oct 25, 2020, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak
This has nothing to do with AFKL. This thread should be moved to the Other Asia Airlines forum where OP could expect to have better answers than here.
Sorry, I wasn't sure, and thought this might be the best place as they were a SkyTeam member.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by maalloc
Garuda email support is a joke(*).
In the past, I've been able to communicate with human beings on the 62 21 2351 9999 and 0804 1 807 807. Waiting time can be frustrating.
Keep in mind that the level of your interlocutor will be random. I've found that the easiest way to deal with a speaker that's not willing (or not able) to help is by hanging up and calling again.
You can also try the chat, but be ready to speak for 2 hours with an average of 5 minutes between each message.

(*) Last time I contacted them for a ticket that was not properly issued, they sent me automated responses for days, exactly the same as the ones you got. I feel for you. The first time I got an actual human response by email was 2 months after the flight took place, so don't hold your breath.

😂 I got *some* sense finally from the chat, after giving up on emails. The first lady clearly got fed up with me questioning why I wasn't told when my entire ticket / itinerary was cancelled by Garuda (before I even phoned my crappy OTA to cancel). I mean, an email telling me my options would have helped loads! Anyway, she got fed up, muted me on the thread (any comments I made disappeared and "Not known" appeared), while she went through the motions of politely ending the call: "Was there anything else Madam?", "Are you still with us Madam?", "As you're no longer responding...".
The next guy provided more information, then got fed up and just ended the call, mid conversation, without any pleasantries at all!

Lesson 1: Never use an OTA
Lesson 2: Garuda CS are a joke and are unbelievably rude. Only book with them, if it's a choice between them and an airline that's actually unsafe!

Old Oct 25, 2020, 4:43 pm

Programs: AFKL: Platinum, SAS: Diamond

Lesson 2: Garuda CS are a joke and are unbelievably rude. Only book with them, if it's a choice between them and an airline that's actually unsafe!

Did you think they’d speak perfect english, being able to exactly follow and understand your complaints in detail?

Things like this can happen when you buy flights from airlines in lesser developed countries. When .... hits the fan - you’re on your own.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mirendo
Did you think they’d speak perfect english, being able to exactly follow and understand your complaints in detail?
Well yeah, it would be perfectly reasonable for the OP or anybody else to expect that, or at least a sufficient command of English and understanding of the business they are in to properly do the job they are getting paid for, i.e. provide something called customer service. You may have heard of it.

Johan
Old Oct 26, 2020, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
This has nothing to do with Garuda; your dispute is with the travel agent, who did not do what they said they would do. You said above that you have their confirmation in writing that they would cancel.

Therefore, any other discussion around any other issue is noise; they have seemingly successfully sent you off on a wild-goose chase.

You were entitled to cancel the ticket; you asked them to cancel the ticket; they agreed in writing to cancel the ticket.

That is all you need. Whether and if the flights operated is irrelevant; your agent agreed to cancel the reservation, and therefore you get your money back.

Do not contact Garuda; do not call Garuda; you are wasting your own time by going down this rabbit hole that the TA has successfully diverted you into.
I agree, that's why the documentation I submitted to AMEX was so thin on the ground the first time round. I was astonished when they disputed it! I went down the rabbit hole to make damned sure I got my refund this time!

Proof that the OTA were lying through their teeth (and blatantly committing fraud) helped!

Sorry to not reply yesterday - I used up my comment allowance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.