Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

Garuda plans to open direct flights to Bali from US, France, India to boost tourism

Garuda plans to open direct flights to Bali from US, France, India to boost tourism

Old Jul 8, 20, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CA Gold/ UA 1K.. Marriott/SPG Platinum

The direct flights will connect Bali with American cities like Los Angeles and San Francisco and Indian cities like Mumbai and New Delhi as well as France. The airline is currently in talks with the State-Owned Enterprises (SOE) Ministry and the Tourism and Creative Economy Ministry regarding the plan, according to Garuda president director Irfan Setiaputra.

This is very aspirational upon their part. They tried to re-launch LAX a few years ago but could not get beyond rights from Japan. Even with a stop over, this is a very long thin route. If any of these routes are launched, I am guessing they may use their A330 NEO.

https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/...t-tourism.html
Old Jul 9, 20, 1:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by minhaoxue View Post

This is very aspirational upon their part. They tried to re-launch LAX a few years ago but could not get beyond rights from Japan. Even with a stop over, this is a very long thin route. If any of these routes are launched, I am guessing they may use their A330 NEO.

https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/...t-tourism.html
LAX and SFO are way beyond the range of the A330 NEO. They'd need A350 for this, it's very similar to SIN distances to USA West coast, even 787s on those routes are weight restricted.

From DPS to USA, Japan also isn't a great stopover point, it's quite a distance outside the great circle. Guam would work and I know PR used to use it back in the day.
Old Jul 9, 20, 8:23 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Mental. Was going to say I don't believe it will happen, but of course it will, then quickly be cancelled, or re-routed to Jayapura or something.
TPJ likes this.
Old Jul 9, 20, 10:06 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club Diamond; Asiana Club Diamond; SkyMiles Platinum Medallion; Marriott Platinum
GA used to fly DPS-HNL-LAX with the MD11 back in the 90's. HNL sounds like a viable stopover point if they are going to start LAX/SFO.
Old Jul 10, 20, 8:32 am

Question

Not so sure if they can obtain a 5th freedom from Thailand. If they did, since there's no non-stop from Thailand to the US, they should consider DPS-BKK-SFO/LAX. If they're going to go after leisure travelers, this should be a good double dipping.
Old Jul 11, 20, 6:06 am

Programs: asia miles
Those are very expensive flight to run and targeted at leisure traffic. Even if they start, I probably won’t last very long.
Old Jul 11, 20, 11:52 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA Gold, IHG Spire, Choice Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist, National Exec
Originally Posted by SeaMeFly View Post
Not so sure if they can obtain a 5th freedom from Thailand. If they did, since there's no non-stop from Thailand to the US, they should consider DPS-BKK-SFO/LAX. If they're going to go after leisure travelers, this should be a good double dipping.
Why not just light money on fire? Have you seen what fares look like from LAX-BKK?
Old Jul 11, 20, 10:38 pm

Programs: asia miles
Originally Posted by wolfpacktrojan View Post
Why not just light money on fire? Have you seen what fares look like from LAX-BKK?
Old Jul 14, 20, 8:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by sfosuw View Post
GA used to fly DPS-HNL-LAX with the MD11 back in the 90's. HNL sounds like a viable stopover point if they are going to start LAX/SFO.
HNL adds quite a bit of miles onto the trip, they fly directly over GUM. HNL adds 170 miles to LAX and nearly 300 miles to SFO, These both assume a cooperative jetstream westbound, otherwise you'd want to pass farther north anyway which would make NRT/KIX/TPE a more desirable stopover..
Old Jul 14, 20, 8:57 am

Will be interesting to see which a/c they choose to fly the US routes. Maybe a 77W?
Old Jul 20, 20, 12:55 pm

That will be really nice for ppl who want to go Bali.
Old Jul 23, 20, 10:13 am

Programs: UA
This is another harebrain idea from Garuda's top brass, after the DPS - KNO - LHR route.
For this route to work, Bali has to compete with Hawaii, Tahiti, Fiji, Caribbean, Central American, and Mexican destinations. All those other options are shorter non-stop flight from SFO/LAX.
Old Jul 23, 20, 4:01 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA Silver, AlaskaAir Gold, HHonors DIA, Accor Silver, Marriott Silver, IHG Plat, TK/UA/AA
If they had a smaller 787, I'd think it wouldn't be impossible to get enough pax to fill a plane (pre-Covid), but not sure they'd get enough paid full fare biz pax for it to be successful financially. Could a 787 do LAX-DPS with a full load?
Old Jul 24, 20, 6:34 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by kyushuman View Post
If they had a smaller 787, I'd think it wouldn't be impossible to get enough pax to fill a plane (pre-Covid), but not sure they'd get enough paid full fare biz pax for it to be successful financially. Could a 787 do LAX-DPS with a full load?
Question is - can a fully loaded 787 take off from DPS and make it to the West Coast? Nope.
Old Jul 24, 20, 2:45 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA Silver, AlaskaAir Gold, HHonors DIA, Accor Silver, Marriott Silver, IHG Plat, TK/UA/AA
Originally Posted by Sam Bee View Post
Question is - can a fully loaded 787 take off from DPS and make it to the West Coast? Nope.
I thought it was a longer flight going westbound than east?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: