Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

Malindo Air Flight - customers ought to finance operations during COVID-19

Old May 24, 2020, 1:00 am
Original Poster

Dear,

I'd like to share my experience with Malindo so that everyone is warned. I booked the tickets for 2 persons on the way home to China.

22/04/2020 9:00am purchase 2 tickets KUL-CAN (3rd May 2020) Tariff Business Class (fare basis JOWMY) refundable according to website and fare basis in GDS
22/04/2020 10:38am Information of flight cancellation via email

After contacting Malindo Air, they state they refuse to make any refunds due to COVID-19 flight cancellation. This is according to the terms and conditions of the company I was told. My protest that during the purchase of flight the refund amount was clearly mentioned was ignored. The only chance would be to receive a voucher linked to the passengers name valid for only 6 months upon the time of issue.

I proceeded to complain to the Malaysian Civil Aviation Authority. They explained to me that Malindo Air did everything they could within their possibilities. Once I asked the Malaysian CAA if it is in compliance with their regulations that airlines are not required to adhere to the own refund or ticket policy, I didn't receive an answer anymore.

I understand that these are difficult times for everyone in the travel industry but getting money this way to finance the airline operation is shameful and for my understanding criminal. If the company has no intention to refund under any circumstances the paid amount, it should be written clearly at the point of purchase.

So please be aware when you go for Malindo Air.

Best regards

Lutz
Old May 24, 2020, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Lutziefer
Dear,

I'd like to share my experience with Malindo so that everyone is warned. I booked the tickets for 2 persons on the way home to China.

22/04/2020 9:00am purchase 2 tickets KUL-CAN (3rd May 2020) Tariff Business Class (fare basis JOWMY) refundable according to website and fare basis in GDS
22/04/2020 10:38am Information of flight cancellation via email

After contacting Malindo Air, they state they refuse to make any refunds due to COVID-19 flight cancellation. This is according to the terms and conditions of the company I was told. My protest that during the purchase of flight the refund amount was clearly mentioned was ignored. The only chance would be to receive a voucher linked to the passengers name valid for only 6 months upon the time of issue.

I proceeded to complain to the Malaysian Civil Aviation Authority. They explained to me that Malindo Air did everything they could within their possibilities. Once I asked the Malaysian CAA if it is in compliance with their regulations that airlines are not required to adhere to the own refund or ticket policy, I didn't receive an answer anymore.

I understand that these are difficult times for everyone in the travel industry but getting money this way to finance the airline operation is shameful and for my understanding criminal. If the company has no intention to refund under any circumstances the paid amount, it should be written clearly at the point of purchase.

So please be aware when you go for Malindo Air.

Best regards

Lutz
If they canceled the flight and refuse to refund, I’d do a chargeback on your credit card. Canceling the same day you purchased it, should be criminal. How could they not know the flight was going to cancel?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 24, 2020, 3:49 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
What if you moved your flight to different date and then you cancelled it, rather than they, given that it was a refundable fare? That way you might not be caught up as someone who has had their flight cancelled.
Old May 24, 2020, 4:49 am
Original Poster

Thank you 2 for the suggestions. Apparently for date change I should have made before the original departure. Now only the travel voucher is applicable. I will try to see if my bank can do something.
Old May 24, 2020, 8:07 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat
You should file a chargeback with your card. Malindo Air's facebook page is filled with people begging for refunds.

i got mine with a chargeback from Amex but I also had email evidence they will refund to original form of payment, I had a flex biz ticket too. Mine was cancelled in February.

Your strongest evidence to your cc company will be your refundable business class ticket, pdf the terms and conditions of that ticket. Malindo Air changed their terms and conditions on their website on 19th March so that all refunds are vouchers only.

Terrible company to deal with.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 4:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Well I'm amazed.

I booked a cheap economy fare in February from KUL to CMB for June, and Malindo cancelled the flight in March.

I immediately requested a cash refund, and heard nothing for a couple of months, so I contacted Malindo in May to find out what was going on. I was advised that the refund request was in the system, but I didn't really expect to receive anything.

Then I asked my bank to initiate a credit card chargeback, but they weren't very helpful, so I decided to leave it for a bit longer.

Imagine my amazement when I checked my credit card account a couple of days ago and discovered that Malindo had refunded the fare in full, a few days prior. It seems that miracles can still happen, very occasionally.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.