Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

The Feasibility of Renaming China Airlines to Taiwan Airlines?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Feasibility of Renaming China Airlines to Taiwan Airlines?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2020, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Slightly OT. I’ve always thought EVA Air was pronounced “eva air” until I heard it announced as “E-V-A air” at the gate.

Some googling reveals that EVA is acronym for Evergreen Airways. So “Evergreen Airways Air”?

Isn’t this some sort of atrocious branding?
At the time EVA was being established, "Evergreen" was already taken by another airline, so they went with the (quasi-)abbreviation. That it's written in all-caps can be a hint it's supposed to be pronounced letter-by-letter but then, of course, the problem is that many acronyms are also written in all capitals.

There was an attempt to distinguish acronyms by writing, for example, "Nato" instead of "NATO" but it doesn't seem to have gained much traction. I think BBC still write like this but even they don't do it consistently, and it's more of an idiosyncrasy, like the New Yorker magazine's spelling of "coöperation." If it were ever going to catch on, it would have already.

The issue here is more general. How do you pronounce, for example, "ICAO?" And how can you tell it's pronounced the way it is from the way it's written? It's quite usual that you already have to be familiar with the word (or brand name) to be sure you're pronouncing it right. If it works for Chevrolet and Givenchy, it shouldn't be an issue for EVA too.

Alternatively, often multiple pronunciations are in use, and don't seem to impact familiarity: how do you pronounce "GIF?" Is it with a hard "g," from "Graphics Interchange Format," or a soft one, like "in a jiffy?" Either way, everybody knows it's the format for cat pictures on the Internet. IKEA and Nike are an example of this, too. Just say it.

On the other hand, if EVA could get a hold of the now-defunct "Evergreen" airline brand, it wouldn't hurt either.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by Mama
Same with ANA. When I was using my United miles to book ANA flights, the UA phone agent didn't know what Ana airlines is, I had to say A-N-A.
But at least it's not ANA Air - "All Nippon Airways Air"...
Old Apr 18, 2020, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
But at least it's not ANA Air - "All Nippon Airways Air"...
All of this is not just slightly but completely off-topic in a thread about China Airlines but what is the source for your claim that "EVA" stands for "Evergreen Airways?"
Old Apr 18, 2020, 5:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ProleOnParole
All of this is not just slightly but completely off-topic in a thread about China Airlines but what is the source for your claim that "EVA" stands for "Evergreen Airways?"
moderator, please remove the last 5 off-topic posts.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 7:43 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Eclipsed830
It should have happened 30 years ago... I don't know a single person here in Taiwan my age that even considers themselves to be "Chinese".
I don't think most people really identify culturally as Chinese anymore either... At least people my age see the culture of modern China and identify very little with that generalized culture. I see more of a connection, both culturally and emotionally to Japan or even SE Asian countries and to a lesser extent western places. My wife is Vietnamese, so at our house we practice the Vietnamese cultural traditions, most of which are similar to the Chinese traditions, should we just call everything Chinese now?
I don't know your age. Count me as an outlier - I'm 30 and I consider myself Chinese. I agree there's a majority POV, but I don't want it to sound like everyone thinks this way.

What I don't understand is why the government had to use CI to deliver aid, or conduct official presidential visits to foreign countries. This is just too confusing to foreigners. I am sure EVA can provide the same service.
CI is the flag carrier and is still partially government-owned. Of course CI should do the job. Plus, it's not like BR has a particularly good relationship with the current DPP government anyway.

Yup, but what I'm saying is this group of people (waishengren) are the minority. The majority of the population (benshengren) can trace their family roots back hundreds of years on the island of Taiwan. Their culture has shifted over time through Qing, Japanese and KMT colonization. There was already a unique cultural identity on Taiwan before the KMT, and Japanese for that matter came.

I think that's where the misunderstanding comes from, it's not that people think they are more one over the other, those are just influences. It's that many different cultures played a part in establishing a uniquely Taiwanese identify.
Fun fact, Koxinga himself was born in Japan to a Japanese mother...

The Qing never really crossed into the mountains or controlled the eastern coast... at their peak, they controlled about 40 percent of Taiwan proper. If you look at this map from 1874, you can clearly see the "Chinese boundary" going down the middle of the island. The Japanese were the first colonizing force that had full jurisdiction over the entire island, and it took them nearly 20 years of conquests to get full control over the island. This Japanese map from 1901 clearly shows the same boundary, labeled as the "approximate boundary line separating the Savage District and Territory under actual Japanese control".

Also let's not forget that Qing limited the early migration into Taiwan to men only... this caused most men to have aboriginal partners and mixed marriages during that time period were more common than not.
Calling Qing and KMT colonisers of Taiwan is controversial and certainly not the mainstream POV. While I agree the majority of young people in Taiwan (although not necessarily the majority of Taiwanese people across age) do not consider themselves Chinese, I believe only a minority of them would call Qing and KMT colonisers. It is also wrong to assume that all "Benshengren" trace their Chinese part of the DNA back to the immigrants from the 1600s. While estimates vary, a significant proportion of Benshengren trace their ancestry back to Mainland Chinese immigrants who moved to Taiwan in the late 1800s, a time period when both males and females could cross over the Strait.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 7:50 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by username
Does EVA still own the name Taiwan Airways because it merged into UNI?
Yes, it does.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 2:08 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Lightbulb

Same with ANA. When I was using my United miles to book ANA flights, the UA phone agent didn't know what Ana airlines is, I had to say A-N-A.
ANA = All Nippon Airways (very few people refer to the airline using it's long form).

Instead of changing the airline's name, why not just re-paint all the planes with "CAL" instead of "China Airlines"? Also, a rebranding would be done such all stationary such as boarding passes, bag tags will have "CAL".
Old Apr 19, 2020, 9:28 am

Programs: CX Silver
All I hope is the new generation:
  1. does not deny their Chinese heritage
  2. think about and appreciate some of the stuff Chiang Kai Shek and the KMT did in Taiwan that made what it is today. This includes the hard lessons from SARS in 2003 and the subsequent changes that prepared them for COVID-19
  3. do not view Mainland China as some backwards barbaric enemy and find a way to co-exist with them and leverage to Taiwan's benefits - that is the way to survive when you have a huge powerful neighbor you don't quite like
While I agree there is no benefit viewing Mainland China in a negative light and the need to peacefully co-exist together, I have to point out that the SARS pandemic was during DPP's presidency. In fact the KMT local government of Taipei City under Major Ma (who later went on to become President) and Public Health Director Chiu, had tried to cover up the outbreak of Taipei Municipal Hoping Hospital. I personally think the disaster response and management we have now is largely thanks to the DPP government.

That aside, I would like to add that while most young people in Taiwan identifies oneselves as Taiwanese in context of culture and geography, but still Chinese ethnically. The entire argument is essentially surrounding the "China" defined in cultural, geographical, or ethnical context.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by daniellam
Instead of changing the airline's name, why not just re-paint all the planes with "CAL" instead of "China Airlines"? Also, a rebranding would be done such all stationary such as boarding passes, bag tags will have "CAL".
To me, the 2 purposes for changing the name are:

1 - de-china
2 - increase Taiwan's visibiity

Changing it to CAL does not really do the latter. So, IF they do go through with all the costs and trouble, they should just name it Taiwan.

Yes, EVA is kind of meant to be Evergreen Airlines because of the name conflict. They were very clear that they were E-V-A Air. Unfortunately, a lot of their pilots, ground staff, announcements at TPE airport say Eva. I think the only people who consistently say E-V-A is the cabin staff.

The Taiwanese is funny. I think largely due to the 2-China confusion and Mainland China's interference in the international arena, they care very much about what the rest of the world thinks of them. Every time, whether it is earthquake or election, the TW news media always spend time on how they are covered by international media.

I personally think Taiwan should be more confident with itself than that. People still get Switzerland and Sweden confused so don't get so depressed when people get Taiwan and Thailand confused What better time to say "We are Taiwan, the Republic Original China" now

As far as renaming CI (and now people say they should remove the "Republic of China" from the passport, just leave Taiwan), it seems now it is a pi*ing game now. KMT now says "fine, if DPP wants to go through with it and take the responsibility".
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To me, the 2 purposes for changing the name are:

1 - de-china
2 - increase Taiwan's visibiity.........
I propose Air Ami. It has nothing to do with China and promotes well known Taiwanese indigenous tribe.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TerryK
I propose Air Ami. It has nothing to do with China and promotes well known Taiwanese indigenous tribe.
Except even fewer people in the world would know it is from Taiwan.

Taiwan is behaving like a wannabe celebrity seeking publicity, unfortunately. It should really be a lot more confident with itself.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 4:40 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
The easiest way for China Airlines to resolve this is to:

1. Paint all current planes with Mandarin Airlines livery when a major check is needed (with a blossom next to it).
2. Buy all future planes under Mandarin Airlines and dry lease it to China Airlines, and operate as China Airlines.
3. Maintain the China Airlines' website but remove anything related to China on the website by referring itself as CAL other than explaining what CAL is.

Trust me people who buy China Airlines' ticket know China Airlines is based in TPE and all there needs to do is change the livery so we don't have media and/or news presenting a picture with China on there. China shouldn't have any problems either cause you are just changing a livery and that livery already existed under CAL and is in operation.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 7:02 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Very interesting topic. As someone who has extensive experience in bilateral agreements I see no reason why a name change would create any problems with any country.
The air services agreement with Taiwan and other countries are signed between two countries. In that bilateral agreement it will be stated that ex number of flights from those countries can fly to or beyond those two countries and could have 5th freedom rights as for example between Taiwan and Thailand as EVA flies from BKK to LHR.
It's not a particular airline that's approved but a designated airline. So if Taiwan says now it's Taiwan airlines or whatever airline is it has to be accepted. It's the number of airlines that's important and not the name.
Now I don't know what the situation is going to be with mainland China. I don't see any problems with them either.

It would be nice if China would accept Taiwan as a nation but I don't see it happening soon even if Taiwan gives up their claim to mainland China.
It doesn't help that Taiwan is not a member of ICAO but they once came to the general assembly of ICAO as guests of China but the next time they tried to come as guests of USA instead of China and of course China objected and they couldn't come. I think Taiwan also plays politics in Aviation too so why this happened.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 8:29 am

From https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3920829
ProleOnParole likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 10:00 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Let sleeping dogs lie. If having to call yourself 中華 is the only price you have to pay for your freedom, I'd happily pay it.

In fact I'd take Chunghua Airlines over China Airlines any day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.