Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thai Air Asia (FD) covid-19 cancelled flight refund?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2020, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by blandy62
Chargeback if definitely the way to go provided you are within the windows. If not, just need to wait. I agree the 12 weeks windows is optimistic. I don't think there will be a lot of refunds processed until they start to log in bookings again. But I would say, if the airlines, like AirAsia claims, really use their money to keep staff on the payroll, I am willing to wait. If the money is used to pay bonuses to the management.... that's another issue....
AirAsia is another one I am waiting on a refund for (and have a chargeback pending)!
Old Jul 2, 2020, 2:11 pm

My Thai AirAsia chargeback was successful. They never responded within 45 days.
Jaimito Cartero likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 5:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
My current status with Air Asia as data points:

Booking 1: HKG-KUL-HKG
Booked via trip.com - refunded in full in cash to the original credit card six weeks from cancellation date

Booking 2: KUL-HKG
Booked via trip.com - about MYR15 refunded in cash to original credit card (presumably departure tax) and balance refunded as 12-month voucher seven weeks from cancellation date

Bookings 3, 4, 5: HKG-DMK, DMK-HKG, DMK-SZX
Booked direct on Air Asia - Request to Ava to refund to credit card on March 11. Received three emails on May 1 asking for Big Points ID for credit "While we were redeeming your flight booking to a Credit Account..." despite having asked for a refund to the original credit card. Replied by email asking for cash refund to original credit card. Now, July 3, all three cases online show the original case is "Closed" and a new case is "In Progress" with the tantalising heading "The refund payment will be credited to the original payment method." I'm not holding my breath.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by ftrichard
My current status with Air Asia as data points:

Booking 1: HKG-KUL-HKG
Booked via trip.com - refunded in full in cash to the original credit card six weeks from cancellation date

Booking 2: KUL-HKG
Booked via trip.com - about MYR15 refunded in cash to original credit card (presumably departure tax) and balance refunded as 12-month voucher seven weeks from cancellation date

Bookings 3, 4, 5: HKG-DMK, DMK-HKG, DMK-SZX
SNIP
Update on my direct bookings with Air Asia to/from DMK
I have received two cash refunds for the HKG-DMK and DMK-HKG flights back to my credit card with the third, DMK-SZX, still listed as In Progress. I received emails on 21 and 22 July saying the refunds had been processed and submitted to my bank. On 23 July, the amounts appeared as credits on my credit card statement.

All this achieved without speaking to an agent at all. Just following Ava's process and replying to an email reiterating that I would like a cash refund as originally offered.

I don't know why the third hasn't processed yet because the bookings were all made on the same day and cancelled on the same day 11 March. The only difference is the case number in the 200s (392112**) as opposed to the first two case numbers in the 100s (392111**) so refunds could be being done in batches by case number.

From about US$4000 flight and hotel bookings made in January, I have received refunds on everything now but US$250 split between Air Asia and Malaysia Airlines. Full marks go to Marriott and Cathay Pacific. Booby prize to Malaysia Airlines. Air Asia sits in the middle but the cash refunds so far means I bear them no ill will and I will travel with them again happily.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 12:17 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
I am sick and tired of chasing these Cowboys. Put in a case to AVA in March for a refund and still waiting. Now I have another one for a cancelled HKT - SIN sector. First off told me it was country specific regarding refunds so asked them to send me the details. Next it was had to go to Management for approval and could take up to 3 months. Not holding my breathe
Old Aug 21, 2020, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
I am sick and tired of chasing these Cowboys. Put in a case to AVA in March for a refund and still waiting. Now I have another one for a cancelled HKT - SIN sector. First off told me it was country specific regarding refunds so asked them to send me the details. Next it was had to go to Management for approval and could take up to 3 months. Not holding my breathe
Have you had any emails from them? As I said above, I haven't spoken to a single customer service rep (I value my sanity too much) but I have now received cash refunds on all three direct bookings, cash refund on one booking made through trip.com, and a voucher for the cheapest booking (about US$60) made through trip.com.

After requesting the cash refund using Ava all those months ago, I eventually received three emails asking for my Big Points number for each cancellation (which they have on the reservation but I think this was their passive-aggressive method of getting me to accept their online vouchers instead of cash). I replied to each that I wanted a cash refund as originally offered and requested. Long, drawn-out process with no additional communication from them but the cash has been returned now just five months after making the requests.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 12:17 am

Programs: asia miles
Have you had any emails from them? As I said above, I haven't spoken to a single customer service rep (I value my sanity too much) but I have now received cash refunds on all three direct bookings, cash refund on one booking made through trip.com, and a voucher for the cheapest booking (about US$60) made through trip.com.

After requesting the cash refund using Ava all those months ago, I eventually received three emails asking for my Big Points number for each cancellation (which they have on the reservation but I think this was their passive-aggressive method of getting me to accept their online vouchers instead of cash). I replied to each that I wanted a cash refund as originally offered and requested. Long, drawn-out process with no additional communication from them but the cash has been returned now just five months after making the requests.
i seems to be really random. I had a booking cancelled in January and went throw the same process as you. Got the 3 emails.... but still no refund....
Old Aug 22, 2020, 8:05 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver

Through AVA I got one of my bookings approved for a cash refund. Today I chased it again and they came back saying, after 5 months, not eligible and to take a credit. I am so sick of them it is beyond a joke.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 9:43 am

I waited the 45 minutes to chat with someone, they said the cash refund would take 90 days and they'd put in the request. 24 hours later I get an email saying that due to recent developments they can no longer offer a cash refund but if I sign up for an account with them they can give me a credit. What a joke.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 10:47 am

I just complained to MAVCOM as have had enough
Old Aug 22, 2020, 3:51 pm

I was successful with a chargeback with Thai AirAsia by showing the email confirmations of a refund approval, chat screenshots, and a link to the Thai legislation saying that all cancellations must allow for a cash refund to the customer.
ExpatSomchai likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Dan1113
I was successful with a chargeback with Thai AirAsia by showing the email confirmations of a refund approval, chat screenshots, and a link to the Thai legislation saying that all cancellations must allow for a cash refund to the customer.
Hi Dan, Already have them ongoing. It's amazing reading across social media what dirty tactics they are using.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 7:03 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
I requested a cash refund in April and was told the refund would take 4-6 months. Now it's been 5.5 months and still nothing. The amount is not very material and when booking a flight with a credit I avoid the booking fee so it gives me a small incentive to take a credit... with a 2-year timeline to use the credit that is long enough for me. Back in April I wanted a cash refund, now I have become more ambivalent, and seeing in the last few months how $h1tty Thai VietJet is, plus reconfirming that I do not want to fly with Nok Air no matter what the price is... odds are very high that Air Asia is the least bad for me. So I decided to change my mind and accept a credit. I know this is exactly what Air Asia wanted me to do, and perhaps if I had thousands of dollars invested in this I would not have done it, but in my circumstances I am fine with it. I guess by accepting now instead of April, I have extended my credit validity by 5.5 months which is a positive, not that it will matter in the end.

Regarding the "dirty tactics" I have to say that Air Asia is nowhere near the level of criminality that I have observed from Emirates so while I am not deeply impressed by Air Asia, they are middle of the road compared to what other airlines have done.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 6:40 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Not to mention Air Asia returning to BKK instead of exclusively from DMK, making themselves more usable in more situation so I am less opposed to a credit now rather than cash refund
Old Oct 23, 2020, 2:08 am

Programs: asia miles
finally got an email today that my refund for DMK-HKG was sent to the bank. Took nearly 10 months ....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.