Will Fiji Airways (and others) make it?

Old Mar 19, 20, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Will Fiji Airways (and others) make it?

How confident would you be in booking a December 2020 trip on Fiji Airways? Or a similar smallish airline? It's hard to get a sense of their finances and outlook.

In the past I wouldn't have worried about it but the Chase Sapphire Reserve travel insurance appears to no longer cover airlines going out of business.

Would booking through an OTA like Orbitz give more protection or just more pain if something happens to Fiji Airways?
Old Mar 20, 20, 4:32 am

Programs: Alaska
I thought credit cards have wised up against defunct airlines.

The airlines have to post collaterals to accept credit cards so that in case of bankruptcy, the credit card companies will refund the ticket automatically.

https://www.ecc.fi/en/themes/travell...goes-bankrupt/

How widely it is practised is the question.
Old Mar 20, 20, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
I suggest you wait a few months before making any booking.
A lot of airlines, TAs and even banks are likely to go bankrupt or receive State bailout money. Wait till the summer, probably late summer, to see how the pandemic and economic aspects works out.
Old Apr 1, 20, 2:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by brunos View Post
I suggest you wait a few months before making any booking.
A lot of airlines, TAs and even banks are likely to go bankrupt or receive State bailout money. Wait till the summer, probably late summer, to see how the pandemic and economic aspects works out.
the fiji govt owns 51% of fiji air. Fiji air has to keep going to support their tourism industry. Absolutely positively they will survive, as they have to.

Virgin might be cutting flights to Fiji as might qantas, which is all good for fiji air. Far more chnace of big boys like qantas falling over.
Old Apr 3, 20, 4:41 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Fiji Airways will survive as it is the core engine for regional tourism, majority government owned and a lifeline to many islands not just within Fiji but also to Kirabati, Tuvalu, Wallis etc etc. Besides, they take no Bula from anyone!
Old Apr 3, 20, 11:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by davistev View Post
Fiji Airways will survive as it is the core engine for regional tourism, majority government owned and a lifeline to many islands not just within Fiji but also to Kirabati, Tuvalu, Wallis etc etc. Besides, they take no Bula from anyone!
air kiribati has 2 brand new e-jets. 90 seaters I think & long range, so some domestic Kiribati routes will be nonstop instead of having to go via Fiji. Kiribati is very spread out across the Pacific.
davistev likes this.
Old May 14, 20, 11:53 am

Programs: This game has *seriously* lost its luster.
Originally Posted by PDXpress View Post
Would booking through an OTA like Orbitz give more protection or just more pain if something happens to Fiji Airways?
I booked on Priceline because it was impossible to book SJC WLG / BNE SJC on Fiji's website. My date of departure is tomorrow and I've not heard anything from either Priceline or Fiji about my refund request. Though, two weeks after my request, I called PL to follow up on the process. All they could see / tell me is that the request has been forwarded to FJ.
Old May 14, 20, 7:02 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by OZFLYER86 View Post
the fiji govt owns 51% of fiji air. Fiji air has to keep going to support their tourism industry. Absolutely positively they will survive, as they have to.
Yes agreed, I'd be more concerned about travel restrictions into/through Fiji, especially if originating from the US.

The Australia and NZ government are talking about a travel "bubble" allowing freedom of movement between the two countries, which may be extended to several other island nations (in the SW Pacific), including leisure travel. If that happens, Fiji Airways, and Fiji will do very well out of Australia originating traffic, with at least some of the Bali crowd looking for somewhere else to go. But that may mean it is quite some time before the whole SW Pacific (including Australia, NZ, Fiji etc) opens up to US originating passengers, especially leisure traffic.
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old May 15, 20, 9:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by lokijuh View Post
Yes agreed, I'd be more concerned about travel restrictions into/through Fiji, especially if originating from the US.

The Australia and NZ government are talking about a travel "bubble" allowing freedom of movement between the two countries, which may be extended to several other island nations (in the SW Pacific), including leisure travel. If that happens, Fiji Airways, and Fiji will do very well out of Australia originating traffic, with at least some of the Bali crowd looking for somewhere else to go. But that may mean it is quite some time before the whole SW Pacific (including Australia, NZ, Fiji etc) opens up to US originating passengers, especially leisure traffic.
think USA/Fiji/NZ/AUstralia flights will be open to everyone by about July/August without any quarantine.

Corona has been blown way out of proportion. It's just another version of SARS. a Bad one.

6 deaths in Queensland in what 3 months ?
Old May 15, 20, 9:45 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
think USA/Fiji/NZ/AUstralia flights will be open to everyone by about July/August without any quarantine.
If anyone is reading this advice, please do some extra research on the internet. The PM of Australia has suggested there may be some relaxation by end of 2020. I can't see US travel to Australia being open to by July without quarantine. It simply isn't going to happen.
Mwenenzi, davistev and Thai-Kiwi like this.
Old May 15, 20, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Corona has been blown way out of proportion. It's just another version of SARS. a Bad one.
6 deaths in Queensland in what 3 months?
If anyone is reading this advice, please do some extra research on the internet. The PM of Australia has suggested there may be some relaxation by end of 2020. I can't see US travel to Australia being open to by July without quarantine. It simply isn't going to happen.
I cannot see travel to/from USA (for normal business - tourism) being opened, with or without 14 days AU-NZ quarantine, being allowed by Australia or New Zealand this calendar year. For after 31 March 2021 a 50% chance at best.
AU<----->NZ travel July August a good possibility.

In USA 100's of people are still dying every day from COVID-19, with no signs of slowing down
https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/t...hs-per-million
USA 259.53 deaths per million of population
NZ 4.36 deaths per million of population
AU 3.84 deaths per million of population

Back on topic: For the Fiji government the survival of FJ Airways is important for tourism, when that starts again.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiji_Airways
lokijuh likes this.
Old May 15, 20, 10:05 pm
Suspended

oz PM is going to tell every australian to holiday at home for next 10 years, whoever he/she is. Just spent few 100 billion dollars, which they have to get back in taxes somehow.

He's a politician. He wants OZ economy to recover ASAP.

What research ? This is nothing to research. Pollies will say something different tomorrow, like you've all been so good, we're reopening everything.
Old May 16, 20, 8:49 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, BAEC Gold, SK EBGold, JX Insighter, Flying Blue Gold
I agree with others, FJ being majority government owned is very likely to survive. They dominate in a market unserved by most other major carriers (bar QF, VA, NZ, and KE), and is also a backbone of the Fijian economy. They also serve several smaller countries without airlines like Tuvalu and Tonga.

Additionally, the fact that -during their Air Pacific days- they have been operating with losses year after year, says something about the Fijian Government's support for FJ.
Old May 16, 20, 11:52 am

Programs: BA Silver / EI Silver
I would be comfortable booking with Air Kiribati, Fiji Airways, Aircalin, Air Tahiti Nui, and quite a few more airline from Oceania, as they are backed by their respective governments. I would be more concerned about some routes being cancelled, than the airline ceasing operations.
lokijuh likes this.
Old May 16, 20, 8:31 pm

Programs: asia miles
air kiribati has 2 brand new e-jets. 90 seaters I think & long range, so some domestic Kiribati routes will be nonstop instead of having to go via Fiji. Kiribati is very spread out across the Pacific.
That's surely a good new for people having to travel between Tarawa and Kiritimati. But how many people (besides officials) really do that trip? I hope they can make it work but... I am not so sure if Fiji airways would really fly to Kiritimati if it was not on the route between NAN and HNL

Search this Thread