Community
Wiki Posts
Search

China Airlines - Combine PNRs for checked baggage?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold/OneWorld Ruby
China Airlines - Combine PNRs for checked baggage?

I am currently booked RGN → TPE on a non-stop. I would like to book TPE → SFO leaving the same day. But I have a checked bag and cannot go through immigration in Taipei to claim and recheck it due to the Taiwan government's new restrictions on passengers arriving from AESAN countries. Would it be possible to get China Airlines to combine the PNRs and let me check the bag from RGN to SFO? I am asking here because I have heard there are very long wait times (understandably) on their telephone support right now so thought I would ask here first.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Just wanted to follow up by saying that while I couldn't get China Airlines on the phone, they publish email addresses for each of their overseas offices and I got a prompt response to my query from the San Francisco station. They said that they cannot formally combine PNRs but they can easily check luggage through on my ticket if I alert the check in staff at RGN.

I didn't actually put this to the test, as I ended up returning to SIN from RGN on 8M instead, but I was impressed by how quickly CI responded even during these unusual times.
trooper and plunet like this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 2:57 am
Suspended

It's nice that CI can tag your luggage through. But how would you board TPE -SFO flight at TPE? I don't think you can get your boarding pass for TPE-SFO in RGN if it is a seperate ticket. In other words, you will still need to enter Taiwan, check in to your TPE-SFO flight at TPE check-in counter, not transfer desk.

Last edited by Mama; Mar 25, 2020 at 6:42 am
Old Mar 29, 2020, 9:06 am
Original Poster

The email from CI assured me that I would be able to get the TPE → SFO leg boarding pass at RGN as well. If not, I don't see why the air-side transfer desk in TPE couldn't have done so as well. The only thing I was trying to avoid was my baggage ending up landside in TPE.

Anyway, I didn't end up putting it to the test.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 4:59 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by Mama
It's nice that CI can tag your luggage through. But how would you board TPE -SFO flight at TPE? I don't think you can get your boarding pass for TPE-SFO in RGN if it is a seperate ticket. In other words, you will still need to enter Taiwan, check in to your TPE-SFO flight at TPE check-in counter, not transfer desk.
A few months ago I had separate tickets on a similar flight. At checkin in BKK I was asked if I had a flight leaving TPE. I told them about my other ticket and the agent printed that BP w/o me even asking.

Also, both CI and BR have transit desks in TPE that avoid customs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.