Requesting refunds from airlines

Old Mar 13, 2020, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Requesting refunds from airlines

Has anyone had any luck requesting refunds from airlines? What has worked for you?

My flights are with:

Jetstar
Vietnam Airlines
Cambodia Angkor Airlines
Vietjet

Australia has become very restrictive on travel to Vietnam
Old Mar 13, 2020, 4:22 pm

As far as I am aware there are zero restrictions travelling from Australia to Vietnam. My wife and I have tickets booked there to see family in 2 and 4 weeks respectively and are hoping no restrictions are put in place so we can still travel.

Until Vietnam or any other country puts restrictions on entering I don't think you will have much chance to cancel tickets that are non refundable.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:14 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, SWA Free Companion Award Winner, UA
No! ;-) I called Orbitz over a trip to Morocco for which the flights were cancelled; Orbitz (Expedia) said to call Lufthansa; Lufthansa says to call Orbitz (Expedia).

One lawsuit filing naming both of them is sufficient to get the attention of both, who will prefer to not have to go to San Francisco Superior Court together. Since Expedia is in Seattle, and Lufthansa is terminating their operations in San Francisco, that means they will need to fly in for court. Good on them, I'll see them in court since they can't figure this out.

In case anyone is interested, I can post the process here and the results of my claim against them both for breach of contract since the contract that I was sold can no longer be fulfilled.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:42 pm

Programs: asia miles
if Australia or Vietnam put restrictions, probably can get a refund for those flights between Australia and Vietnam. I guess some of your flights are domestic flight whitin Vietnam. For those probably very little chance to get a refund or may be just the tax
Old Mar 13, 2020, 11:22 pm

We want to travel.
I've just found out our travel insurance is all but useless except for medical (non covid19) due to pandemic being declared unless we selected the extra cancellation cover which I think we did.
All of our internal flights within Vietnam are now forfeit if we fail to travel. We might be lucky to get back the taxes and the one flight in J.
Australia is suggesting to reconsider travelling but there are definitely no restriction travelling to Vietnam yet...
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:36 am

Programs: Lufthansa
"One lawsuit filing naming both of them is sufficient to get the attention of both, who will prefer to not have to go to San Francisco Superior Court together. Since Expedia is in Seattle, and Lufthansa is terminating their operations in San Francisco, that means they will need to fly in for court. Good on them, I'll see them in court since they can't figure this out.

In case anyone is interested, I can post the process here and the results of my claim against them both for breach of contract since the contract that I was sold can no longer be fulfilled."

Yes please keep us posted. I have a flight booked with Lufthansa for 05/04/20 from US to EU. Booked back in January through Expedia. It looks like they wont let me re-schedule nor would they refund in case they cancel the flight Sigh!

Last edited by Whiskana; Mar 14, 2020 at 7:39 am Reason: Forgot to attache a quote
Old Mar 14, 2020, 8:18 am

Programs: BAEC
It is Expedia who would in normal circumstances need to process the refund in this situation. The contract for the tickets is between the OP and Expedia, Lufthansa are a subcontractor to Expedia and have no direct relationship with the OP, and cannot see the detail of the OPs original form of payment in order to process a refund.

Expedia need to be directed to review Lufthansa's current travel waiver policy which will be available to them on a travel trade website and process the change in your travel as per your request subject to any admin fees Expedia choose to levy (which may be in their terms and conditions).

Its situations like this where booking flights directly with the airline is preferable, although it can be difficult to get them to answer the phone. Good luck
Whiskana likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 3:45 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by woolfson
No! ;-) I called Orbitz over a trip to Morocco for which the flights were cancelled; Orbitz (Expedia) said to call Lufthansa; Lufthansa says to call Orbitz (Expedia).

One lawsuit filing naming both of them is sufficient to get the attention of both, who will prefer to not have to go to San Francisco Superior Court together. Since Expedia is in Seattle, and Lufthansa is terminating their operations in San Francisco, that means they will need to fly in for court. Good on them, I'll see them in court since they can't figure this out.

In case anyone is interested, I can post the process here and the results of my claim against them both for breach of contract since the contract that I was sold can no longer be fulfilled.
Or just dispute the CC charge. Also, Small Claims can usually handle these very well, up to $5000 each, especially in San Francisco. In 1989, I had to file against TWA (had an award for F but was waitlisted to C on the JFK-ATH segment. Flight went out with 6 empty F seats and TW's FFP phone staff couldn't get it fixed in time.) The TW supervisor who showed up to court offered me enough miles for 2 FC awards US to Europe RT, which I gladly took. And used.
woolfson likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 3:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by woolfson

Originally Posted by Whiskana
"One lawsuit filing naming both of them is sufficient to get the attention of both, who will prefer to not have to go to San Francisco Superior Court together. Since Expedia is in Seattle, and Lufthansa is terminating their operations in San Francisco, that means they will need to fly in for court. Good on them, I'll see them in court since they can't figure this out.

In case anyone is interested, I can post the process here and the results of my claim against them both for breach of contract since the contract that I was sold can no longer be fulfilled."

Yes please keep us posted. I have a flight booked with Lufthansa for 05/04/20 from US to EU. Booked back in January through Expedia. It looks like they wont let me re-schedule nor would they refund in case they cancel the flight Sigh!
Your court actions are largely a waste of time and money. You have a contract with the travel agent, not Lufthansa. A court will throw this out for wasting its time. Again, you must contact the travel agent, they control the ticket, not LH.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 8:42 am
Suspended

there is no money for refunds. Airlines usually take 3 months or more for refunds. Many will probably close down in less than 3 months.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 10:25 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
American Airlines refunded me in 3 days back to my card last week.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.