FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines-470/)
-   -   Short Check In Luggage on PAL (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines/2011031-short-check-luggage-pal.html)

jamiegutz Feb 29, 2020 7:34 pm

Short Check In Luggage on PAL

Hi,

Im flying MEL-MNL-KUL next week and have a 20 hour transit in MNL. Will PAL allow me to short check my luggage so I can collect it in MNL and recheck it the following day onto KUL?

I know some airlines are really strict on this (Emirates for example) but cant find anything relating to PAL.

Thanks

Davvidd Mar 1, 2020 5:32 am

Normally they are relaxed about these things. I have done it before on PAL. Especially with 20 hours layover.

jamiegutz Mar 1, 2020 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by dav662 (Post 32128758)
Normally they are relaxed about these things. I have done it before on PAL. Especially with 20 hours layover.

Thanks, thats good to hear. Will report back on whether I was able to do it or not

jamiegutz Mar 13, 2020 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by jamiegutz (Post 32131268)
Thanks, thats good to hear. Will report back on whether I was able to do it or not

I did this flight last week and was able to short check my luggage without issue.

A word of warning to those transiting through Manila T2 with onward connections to Aus; when you arrive your bags will be taken off the aircraft and to a room (with lots of other people) just after the transfer area. You are expected to personally identify your bag and undergo additional security screening where they will open your case and swab it for some test (explosives presumably). Needless to say it is utter chaos and there is very little in the way of direction from staff. If you have security sealed your luggage in plastic wrap then you will be expected to break the seal so they can open it. No exceptions.

Apparently, This is something to do with an inspection of NAIA that the TSA did last year which identified serious flaws in the airport security. You can expect the same treatment when transiting to UK, Aus & USA.

Davvidd Mar 16, 2020 5:57 pm

The TSA screws everyone up. While the FAA needs to get black listed for the 737Max issues.

YVR guy Mar 25, 2020 11:42 am

PAL would not short check my bag for a 5 hour connection in MNL. But for longer connections that likely involve a hotel stay... there was no problem short checking. In fact the agent advised against leaving my bag at MNL airport for a long connection.

Davvidd Mar 25, 2020 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by YVR guy (Post 32230993)
PAL would not short check my bag for a 5 hour connection in MNL. But for longer connections that likely involve a hotel stay... there was no problem short checking. In fact the agent advised against leaving my bag at MNL airport for a long connection.

It's good advice for longer connection. MNL Airport is not the place you want to keep your luggage for long time in transfer.