AirAsia - refund - Singapore

Old Feb 28, 2020, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K
AirAsia - refund - Singapore

Anyone have any luck with getting AirAsia to issue a refund where travel has been advised against by your government?

I am trying to cancel and refund a Singapore-Langkawi round trip for our family. Canadian government has put Singapore on a travel advisory, and also, all our flights to Singapore from Canada are canceled. We've ended up canceling this whole vacation due to the situation and changes by airlines.

AirAsia's automated chat isn't helpful in this situation, I can't get a live agent connected if I try to bypass the chat, and so far unresponsive on Twitter.

Anyone had any success or can provide any advice?
Old Feb 28, 2020, 8:20 am

Programs: BAEC
I would image the first place to look would be the contract you agreed to when purchasing the ticket. Is there anything in the AirAsia terms and conditions or conditions or carriage (make sure you refer to the correct AirAsia operating company as there are several) that would indicate what they may consider a refund in the event of a passenger being advised by a 3rd party not to travel?

As a low cost carrier it is unlikely AirAsia will do anything beyond what their terms say.

Edit: corrected typos

Last edited by plunet; Feb 28, 2020 at 12:16 pm
Old Feb 28, 2020, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by dennisthemenace
all our flights to Singapore from Canada are canceled
Please explain ? If you mean your flights were on mainland Chinese airlines then surely AirAsia isn't at fault

Singapore is rated level ONE https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/heal...957.1579637332
Old Feb 29, 2020, 1:57 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
No airline owes you anything if another airline on a separate ticket cancels.

Some full service airlines will give you a break here. But low cost carriers are really unlikely to do anything.

Going forward though, it is likely Air Asia will be cancelling a lot of flights. If that happens, then a refund should be available.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 2:16 am

Programs: AY, SQ, EK
Some family members are booked on the same route (similarly AirAsia tickets) on Thu. They decided not to travel but nobody's even thought of trying to get the money back from AirAsia - not really the airline's fault or problem.

The tickets were cheap anyways, so no point in worrying too much about this.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 3:02 am

Programs: Enrich
By the regulation, since I believe OP buy Air Asia malaysia ticket, then Air Asia should refund all the taxes + any other fee. Even it is non refundable ticket.

https://flysmart.my/en/macpc-2019/
Old Mar 1, 2020, 8:27 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
I got my refund from Air Asia but ONLY because Air Asia stopped flying to Shanghai. They are still operating flights to Langkawi so there would be no reason for Air Asia to refund your money.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by dici
By the regulation, since I believe OP buy Air Asia malaysia ticket, then Air Asia should refund all the taxes + any other fee. Even it is non refundable ticket.

https://flysmart.my/en/macpc-2019/
I could not see that a refund is due on your link
Old Mar 1, 2020, 5:05 pm

Programs: Enrich
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I could not see that a refund is due on your link
I mean this. While Air Asia would always says ticket is non refundable, but they still need to refund all the taxes and fees charged by airports if you cancel the ticket

• Ticket purchased from airlines or travel agents
  • Refunds to consumers or travel agents by airlines
  • Refunds include Passenger Service Charge (PSC), taxes, fees and charges prescribed by any written law

Charges for non-refundable flight tickets

Airlines are only allowed to charge an administration fee of up to 5 per cent for refunds of PSC, taxes, fees and charges prescribed by any written law.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 6:57 pm

Ah, that is true for the US as well I think but in practice it is hard to get it
Old Mar 2, 2020, 5:14 pm

Programs: asia miles
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Ah, that is true for the US as well I think but in practice it is hard to get it
AirAsia is all right in that sense for tax refunf. Just create a case on their website and you should get it back quite fast most of the time

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.