Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coronavirus - Air China offers full refunds

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2020, 12:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Coronavirus - Air China offers full refunds

In light of the recent concerns regarding the spread of coronavirus, Air China has issued a statement. For all bookings made on 999 tickets, it will be possible to get a full refund.

https://www.airchina.co.uk/GB/GB/inf...ATEGORY=UKSite

Seems like a sensible step.
plunet likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 3:58 am

I just rung them about this - for any of us who are transiting via Beijing but not originating or terminating in China, they said to call next week. So no refund yet.
Crisesparrago likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 10:38 am

Programs: SE+, OWS
I was wondering about redirecting me on my journey from OSL-BKK to a different star alliance airline, so i dont fly via china.. what do you think?
Old Jan 24, 2020, 9:00 pm

Just called Air China hoping to change my travel dates from SHA. Only possible at a cost of US$4,400. Unlike other airlines like United, CA's travel waiver only allows changes for flights to/from WUH. Flights to other destinations are eligible for refunds only, no changes.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 7:04 am

Programs: SE+, OWS
has anyone else sent an email to air china considering re routing the OSL-BKK business class flights?
Old Jan 25, 2020, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by fridgy
has anyone else sent an email to air china considering re routing the OSL-BKK business class flights?
No but please report back as I am in a similar situation.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 3:59 pm

JFK-PEK-RGN, BKK-PEK-JFK here, in 2.5 weeks. Also wondering what to do, esp on the inbound. Just came back Monday from MBJ with a fever (now gone) - getting in from PEK would not have been as easy.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 1:01 am

Refund without fees for 999

2020-01-24 Notification of Free Refund for Air China Flight Tickets
Dear Passenger:
In order to carry out the joint prevention and control of the 2019-nCoV epidemic and implement the requirements established by Civil Aviation Administration of China, passengers who have booked tickets for flights operated by Air China and CA-coded flights operated by Air China with a ticket number beginning with 999, including mileage award tickets, can voluntarily refund their tickets from 0:00 am on January 24, 2020, and Air China and all of its ticket sales agencies should not charge refund fee.
Air China 24-hour service hotline: +86-10-95583

I am not allowed to attach url so copy-paste this, you'll find the link on AirChina's page.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:33 am

36 hour Bejing layover

I have a flight from London to Manila with a 36 hour layover in Bejing. I booked it back in November but obviously I don’t want to risk the 36 hour layover outside or inside of the airport in Bejing anymore. Please let me know if anyone has any luck with this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 4:34 am

Flying to phuket via beijing

We are flying from London to Phuket end of February vía Beijing. Due to the situation we want to avoid that steepover and flying AirChina all together, and get a refund . Called them on friday and they said they dont have information on refunds for steepover bookings. That we should call next week.
so following this post with attention 🙌🏻
Old Jan 26, 2020, 9:16 am

Programs: OZ*G, HH Diamond
Has anyone had any luck getting CA to put you on a non-Chinese carrier? We have FRA-SYD booked with 19h layover in PEK so keen to avoid both the airline and layover if possible.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by stevento
JFK-PEK-RGN, BKK-PEK-JFK here, in 2.5 weeks. Also wondering what to do, esp on the inbound. Just came back Monday from MBJ with a fever (now gone) - getting in from PEK would not have been as easy.
Just spoke to AmEx (it's a CA revenue ticket via AmEx Plat IAProgram) - I can cancel for free up to the day of the flight.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 1:03 pm

I have also booked this OSL-BKK fare via PEK. During the return flight I have a night in Beijing and would need to sleep at a hotel. Obviously I want to avoid that. They have not relied to my mail, but will call them tomorrow.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 1:44 pm

Programs: OZ*G, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mrhn15
I have also booked this OSL-BKK fare via PEK. During the return flight I have a night in Beijing and would need to sleep at a hotel. Obviously I want to avoid that. They have not relied to my mail, but will call them tomorrow.
Just spoke to the European call centre. Depending on when you are travelling, they advised that you’d need to call back after a week when they have more guidance over what refunds and changes they can offer if you have a layover in China. We are due to travel in April and they couldn’t offer a refund or any other options to change as yet
Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:06 pm

Anyone else think that people are MASSIVELY overreacting on it?

They already locked the whole city/area where the virus (which isn't more deadly or doesn't spread faster than a common cold!) originated from, with no massive breakouts anywhere else, just a few cases throughout the country (and a few overseas)

Transfer in PEK/PVG doesn't increase your risk at all, probably even lesser, due to the massive checks/controls happening right now.

I just exited from Malaysia, guess what, they didn't even check my passport at exit immigration (they should have learned from their past.. but clearly didn't) - should I have been worried about others travelling on fake identity and being potential security risks? Obviously not! Or I could never enjoy travel.

Travel always brings the risk of catching something that isn't common in your area (say, tapeworms) - but it also broadens your horizont. And you need to be willing to take some risk (I'm not even saying you take ANY extra risk here, just saying that travelling in general does bring some risk) if you'd like that.
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.