AirAsia carry on limit

Old Jan 14, 20, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Angry AirAsia carry on limit

Anyone have experience with carry on luggage on Air Asia flights? You can only carry 7 kg total for 2 bags and it seems like there is no way to buy or pay for extra weight for carry on. Extra kg is only available for checked in luggage.
Big camera with lenses and a laptop is easy more than the 7 kg and an empty trolley can be half the allowed weight also. So please share your experince on how to bring your essentials for carry on with this airline?
Old Jan 14, 20, 6:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
With Air Asia, my experience is that you should expect to be screwed for an extra payment at some point before landing, and attempt to remind yourself of how low the fare was in the first place... (and if that bothers you... to book a mainline airline instead)
Old Jan 14, 20, 7:33 am

Programs: QR Silver, AC, EVA Gold, UL silver and PAL. IHG Gold
Yes they are always looking for an excuse to make money. They will not give extra carry on but in my experience they let you take a laptop case plus your 7kg of hand luggage.
Old Jan 14, 20, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
If you fly upfront on D7 flights, bring as much as you want/can carry (it seems). 8-12 wide body O/H bins for 12 pax.
Old Jan 15, 20, 12:42 pm

use a jacket with very big pockets. They tend to be very strict.
Old Jan 19, 20, 9:33 pm
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
AirAsia is pretty strict, especially at check-in counter (although I have seen people bring everything including the kitchen sink onboard at smaller airports). I would not recommend to show up with overweighed bag and hope to get away with it. They might force you to check it, the airport fees are steep and it's time-consuming as you have to go to a different counter to pay...
What I have done in similar situations is to pay for a checked bag and then ask to bring my overweighed bag (correct size) onboard. I always was allowed to bring it onboard...
Old Jan 20, 20, 6:01 am

Programs: QR Silver, AC, EVA Gold, UL silver and PAL. IHG Gold
I have had this bad experience with them. I had a checked allowance of 25kgs but had a lot less. Then after I checked by bag and going through to security they stopped and made me weigh my hand luggage and they refused to let me go because I had 1 kg extra. This was security for Air Asia and not the airport one. The airport one was just after that. They wanted me to leave something behind. After a lot of haggling back at the check in counter and in fact calling their management, I was able to retrieve my bag and put some stuff into my bag and bring down the carry on weight to 7 kgs.
Now I first check my carry on and get them to put on a tag on it even before I put my suitcase on the scale.
Old Feb 20, 20, 10:53 am

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Originally Posted by dav662 View Post
I have had this bad experience with them. I had a checked allowance of 25kgs but had a lot less. Then after I checked by bag and going through to security they stopped and made me weigh my hand luggage and they refused to let me go because I had 1 kg extra. This was security for Air Asia and not the airport one. The airport one was just after that. They wanted me to leave something behind. After a lot of haggling back at the check in counter and in fact calling their management, I was able to retrieve my bag and put some stuff into my bag and bring down the carry on weight to 7 kgs.
Now I first check my carry on and get them to put on a tag on it even before I put my suitcase on the scale.
Ug that's stupid. Not surprising somehow. Glad you figured out a solution.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: