Air Asia Franchises - safety

Old Jan 13, 20, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Air Asia Franchises - safety

Does any one have a view on the safety status of the various Air Asia branches. I have flown with various of them a couple of years ago and at that time Air Asia Indonesia was the worst and I wasnt allowed to travel on it by my work travel agency.

I just checked the airline ranking website and it now looks better than most of the others. Has it improved or am I misreading this. I am hoping to travel with my kids on holiday and would rather avoid it if unsafe. It does have all of the best slots in my routes though.
Old Jan 13, 20, 3:20 pm
Ritz-Carlton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC Diamond, BAEC Gold
QZ and XT is safe in my opinion for quite some time...

The only major airline in Indo that Id go out of my way to avoid is Lion, and their subsidiaries (Batik, Wings, etc).

If youre concerned about safety, Id generally pay the slight extra for QG (Citilink) which is owned by Garuda. Ive always felt extra safe on them.
Old Jan 13, 20, 4:49 pm

Programs: Enrich
As I recall, there is only one major disaster occur for Air Aisia few year back, but it due to the reason that outdated method on how Indonesia regulator pass the weather information to pilot.

Air Asia do have some minor problem such as mechanical issue that required fight return to departure point. But based on the frequency they operate, I would say it is still very low...

The only concern for me is the Air Asia X crew, since the recent report finding the pilots were not follow proper checklist procedure, although the flight safely return to airport
Old Jan 15, 20, 2:03 am
Original Poster

Thanks a lot. Will definitely avoid Lion. Any thoughts on Malindo or any of the others to steer clear of?
Old Jan 15, 20, 3:52 am

Programs: Enrich
There is no any major accident on Malindo air (only minor). It is fairly young airline and you can consider it has nothing to do with Indonesia Lion Air, except that Malindo does hire crew from both Indonesia and Malaysia. You can differentiate from their slang.

The only complaint on Malindo is when there is irregular on their IT, especially on flight change and payment, then basically you are doom. Their call center does not has any supervisor right at all to change anything on your booking beside confirming your booking status.
Old Jan 19, 20, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by dici View Post
As I recall, there is only one major disaster occur for Air Aisia few year back, but it due to the reason that outdated method on how Indonesia regulator pass the weather information to pilot.
It was complex, but ultimately, according to the avherald:

The cracking of a solder joint of both channel A and B resulted in loss of electrical continuity and led to RTLU (rudder travel limiter unit) failure. The existing maintenance data analysis led to unresolved repetitive faults occurring with shorter intervals. The same fault occurred 4 times during the flight.

The flight crew action to the first 3 faults in accordance with the ECAM messages. Following the fourth fault, the FDR recorded different signatures that were similar to the FAC CB‟s being reset resulting in electrical interruption to the FAC‟s.

The electrical interruption to the FAC caused the autopilot to disengage and the flight control logic to change from Normal Law to Alternate Law, the rudder deflecting 2 to the left resulting the aircraft rolling up to 54 angle of bank.

Subsequent flight crew action leading to inability to control the aircraft in the Alternate Law resulted in the aircraft departing from the normal flight envelope and entering prolonged stall condition that was beyond the capability of the flight crew to recover.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: