Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

Air China VS China Eastern - JFK TO MNL in Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2019, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

Any advice which is the best business class from JFK-MNL for hard product... more on the space, baggage allowance, transfer experience??

food is not much of a big deal. More on the experience..

is there free WiFi also in these two airlines ???

thank you!
Old Dec 31, 2019, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by futtfy
Hello,

Any advice which is the best business class from JFK-MNL for hard product... more on the space, baggage allowance, transfer experience??

food is not much of a big deal. More on the experience..

is there free WiFi also in these two airlines ???

thank you!
MU is better for all the things you want. WiFi is free as well but it’s the crappy chinese WiFi.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Will airchina be good though?
Old Jan 1, 2020, 3:18 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
I have never flown Air China, but from what I have heard it is OK, but a tad behind MU and CZ.

The biggest issue I would look into is the seats. I think they are still flying 2-2-2 (vs the more common 1-2-1) in C. Flying by myself, I really like 1-2-1. But if traveling as a couple, 2-2-2 is better. They also are still flying the 747 JFK<>PEK. Upstairs on that is a really nice.

I would have no problem going Air China if it worked for me (I am DL Sky Team, so better for me to fly MU).

BTW, the flight to MNL is probably more like US domestic F on both of these. But that is nothing compared to the TPAC leg.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Will airchina be good though?
Air China's seats are worse than MUs and transferring in PEK is worse than transferring in PVG. Will it be good? That's very subjective, but I guarantee MU will be better.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 4:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Air China's seats are worse than MUs and transferring in PEK is worse than transferring in PVG. Will it be good? That's very subjective, but I guarantee MU will be better.
I agree with you that MU is better than CA these days.

But, I think BR, CI, and CX are preferable to both.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 4:56 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by moondog
I agree with you that MU is better than CA these days.

But, I think BR, CI, and CX are preferable to both.
I think that is a given. But it comes down to price vs value. Often one of the mainland carriers will have a very nice C TPAC fare on ones route.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 8:10 pm

Programs: Air Asia, Nok, Skymiles, Infinity Miles, Aeroplan, Hilton Honor, Accor, Regal
I consider "business class" on mainland Chinese carriers for routes mid range and routes not much better than premium economy on Cathay or EVA. My experience with Air China is has been anything but positive. Transfer is a negative experience. China Eastern isn't much better but it has been better for me and Shanghai transfer experience is marginally better. I mention this because there will be a transfer at either the CA or MU hubs and this can make or break a trip. I'd go with MU.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by Gaikhao
I consider "business class" on mainland Chinese carriers for routes mid range and routes not much better than premium economy on Cathay or EVA. My experience with Air China is has been anything but positive. Transfer is a negative experience. China Eastern isn't much better but it has been better for me and Shanghai transfer experience is marginally better. I mention this because there will be a transfer at either the CA or MU hubs and this can make or break a trip. I'd go with MU.
How is JFK-MNL mid-range?

Air China is decent enough on long haul, but yeah, there's probably better choices within domestic China (unless you need those *A miles!).
Old Jan 2, 2020, 8:47 pm

Programs: Air Asia, Nok, Skymiles, Infinity Miles, Aeroplan, Hilton Honor, Accor, Regal
Originally Posted by narvik
How is JFK-MNL mid-range?

Air China is decent enough on long haul, but yeah, there's probably better choices within domestic China (unless you need those *A miles!).

Shanghai/Beijing to Manila is not long haul. It's a 4 hour flight, which can be 6 hours depending on congestion at the airport.
Add in the transfer times and delays, at best 4 hours with MU. Air China offers its short connections of about 1 hour at Beijing, but I have yet to transfer any flight in less than 90 minutes. Beijing is a nightmare at early evening. My point is that while the flight to the mainland on the two might be similar, the transfer and following flight to MNL will be very different. My experience is that MU was better. Personally, I would opt for anything other than CA or MU, but I am not OP.
narvik likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 1:24 am
Original Poster

But the MU has a long lag over for the option I’m seeing for 19 hours. Is it allowed to do a transit tour?
Old Jan 3, 2020, 1:41 am

But the MU has a long lag over for the option I’m seeing for 19 hours. Is it allowed to do a transit tour?
Do you have any passport stamps
from countries like Turkey? If not, they will probably let you leave the airport during the 19 hours. Book a hotel, and print out a copy of your reservation.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 11:04 am
Original Poster

I don’t but I’m worried if I don’t get approved and stuck for 19 hours... is air China business class that bad?
Old Jan 3, 2020, 11:22 am
Original Poster

I ami also traveling with someone and if I choose China Eastern I will be separated from then did to the seats being herringbone? His bad are the Air China business class seats compared to the MU??
Old Jan 3, 2020, 11:30 am

I ami also traveling with someone and if I choose China Eastern I will be separated from then did to the seats being herringbone? His bad are the Air China business class seats compared to the MU??
MU is much nicer than CA (I find myself a little shocked saying this, in light of my previous dislike for MU). You will almost certainly be permitted to leave the airport in the case of the 19 hour layover.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.