Long, long, Looong layover at Colombo, Advice?

Old Nov 14, 19, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Long, long, Looong layover at Colombo, Advice?

Hey guys, I'm new here so, I hope you're doing well!

I just booked a flight and my layover is 16 hours in Colombo!, I skimmed through their website and found that I don't match their criteria for hotel accommodation since my base fare is only 130 USD, (taxes were 180 USD total 300USD, interesting), and they said that one way tickets base fare should be 350 USD minimum to qualify.

What about complimentary food vouchers, does anyone have any experience regarding this?, I couldn't have purchased any other flight with lower stopover time, sadly! (or any cheaper for that matter)

There was an option for Executive lounge but I've only heard negative reviews, plus you're not allowed to sleep there, which I kinda have to as the layover is overnight!

Also, what currency should I bring and how much, since I don't know the rates there, ill only need two dinners, rest of the time id like to sleep if possible?, Bear in mind I'm a 21 y/o college student so really broke, I booked this flight because it was the cheapest and now I'm finally grasping the idea that I've made a huge mistake, lol
Old Nov 14, 19, 10:50 am
Original Poster

i couldn't purchase any other flight with lower connection time cuz there were none, and I'm purchasing 20 days in advance!
mediator likes this.
Old Nov 14, 19, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Iíve done long layovers at CMB during their civil war, and it wasnít very comfortable. The airport is nicer now, certainly.

We had a later evening flight last year, and found a hotel in the area with a free shuttle that wasnít very expensive. Maybe $20? Check agoda.com and other otas, as we saw big price differences for the same property. Not fancy, certainly, but the rooms were fine, and the staff friendly. They had a huge room service menu, and pretty cheap prices for basic meals.
trooper likes this.
Old Nov 14, 19, 8:00 pm

Programs: QF WP - AA GLD 1MM - CX Grn
It really depends on the time of day/night that includes the 16 hours.
Go get a hotel in Negombo (15-20 minute taxi ride).
Transit visas (online) have been free for most nationalities and right now Sri Lanka wants visitors....

Happy wandering
Fred
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 14, 19, 11:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Former UA 1K
As far as your question about currency, if you're not wanting to exchange to their local currency then US$ work fine in the airport, but I wouldn't expect the same if you go to local places outside. Colombo is actually a pretty cool place and would be well worth a visit on a 16 hour stopover if you have some useful daylight hours in there, but it's not a cheap city nor is transportation to/from the airport. Aside from that, the suggestion of a cheap airport hotel is probably best, 16 hours in the airport itself would be pure torture, it's small and very little to do to pass so much time.
Old Nov 20, 19, 3:05 pm

Programs: QR Silver, AC, EVA Gold, UL silver and PAL. IHG Gold
16 hours at CMB is not worth it. Depending on the time of the day you better get a hotel near Negumbo and go to the beach or go to Colombo city. The fare should be around 800 to 900 SLR, which I think is 1USD is about 120 SLR or so. This is one way. There is a transit hotel counter once you pass customs and get out. You can book a hotel there too and they would organise the transport etc.
Old Nov 21, 19, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Take a hotel in Negombo. Colombo can be far with traffic jams.
Visit the fish market (and the adjacent drying of fish).
Old Nov 22, 19, 4:13 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, LX SEN*, Marriott Titanium
I have an overnight transit coming up in Colombo and the one thing I've been recommended is to eat at Ministry of Crab.
Old Nov 22, 19, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by BlueNordicSky View Post
I have an overnight transit coming up in Colombo and the one thing I've been recommended is to eat at Ministry of Crab.
It is good but it is so famous in CMB because it is part owned by Kumar Sangakara and Mahela Jayawardena, the two most famous cricketers in Sri Lanka. Yes I know Murali is extremely famous too.
Old Nov 27, 19, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Originally Posted by Leopol Stotch View Post
Hey guys, I'm new here so, I hope you're doing well!

I just booked a flight and my layover is 16 hours in Colombo!, I skimmed through their website and found that I don't match their criteria for hotel accommodation since my base fare is only 130 USD, (taxes were 180 USD total 300USD, interesting), and they said that one way tickets base fare should be 350 USD minimum to qualify.

What about complimentary food vouchers, does anyone have any experience regarding this?, I couldn't have purchased any other flight with lower stopover time, sadly! (or any cheaper for that matter)

There was an option for Executive lounge but I've only heard negative reviews, plus you're not allowed to sleep there, which I kinda have to as the layover is overnight!

Also, what currency should I bring and how much, since I don't know the rates there, ill only need two dinners, rest of the time id like to sleep if possible?, Bear in mind I'm a 21 y/o college student so really broke, I booked this flight because it was the cheapest and now I'm finally grasping the idea that I've made a huge mistake, lol
If you're really, REALLY broke...

https://www.sleepinginairports.net/g...port-guide.htm

Pricing doesn't seem great in the airport for eating unless you find the convenience store that's mentioned.

https://www.sleepinginairports.net/r...rt-reviews.htm
Old Dec 12, 19, 3:03 pm

not sure how broke you are but why not get a driver and drive to Kandy and explore the island...its well worth it in my opinion. i had a similar "problem" 10 years ago and i found a mini tour of Sri Lanka well worth it. shouldn't set you back too much either and you can experience Sri Lanka, culture, food, etc.
Old Dec 13, 19, 9:03 am

There are cheap hotels near the airport too. There is a hotel desk after you clear the customs. where are you connecting to?
Old Dec 13, 19, 12:23 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by BlueNordicSky View Post
I second the recommendation for the Ministry of Crab, Colombo. One of the best meals I ever had anywhere.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: