FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines-470/)
-   -   Refund Entitlement? [ZH schedule change] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines/1993796-refund-entitlement-zh-schedule-change.html)

Dynamite Red Nov 2, 2019 7:33 am

Refund Entitlement? [ZH schedule change]

Hello,

26th December I am due to fly from Heathrow to Phuket with Shenzhen Airlines, this involves a stop over in Shenzhen but was booked as one ticket.

Unfortunately the flight times have been changed by the Airline and means we will miss the connecting flight from Shenzhen to Phuket.

Shenzhen Airlines have offered to put us on a connecting flight 24 hours later but this is not suitable. I want to cancel the whole thing and buy new flights, can I claim a refund as this currently being denied? Does anyone have any regulations I can quote at them. Any advice would be a great help.

Jaimito Cartero Nov 2, 2019 7:41 am

Originally Posted by Dynamite Red (Post 31693158)
Hello,

26th December I am due to fly from Heathrow to Phuket with Shenzhen Airlines, this involves a stop over in Shenzhen but was booked as one ticket.

Unfortunately the flight times have been changed by the Airline and means we will miss the connecting flight from Shenzhen to Phuket.

Shenzhen Airlines have offered to put us on a connecting flight 24 hours later but this is not suitable. I want to cancel the whole thing and buy new flights, can I claim a refund as this currently being denied? Does anyone have any regulations I can quote at them. Any advice would be a great help.

Where did you book the flight through? Airline direct, or OTA/TA? If the latter, I’d ask them. Perhaps the airline can put you on a different carrier.

There may be EU rules that allow a refund, I’m sure others will chime in.

Dynamite Red Nov 2, 2019 7:44 am

Thanks Jaimito.

unfortunately they were booked through Opodo (never again). They are saying the airline is refusing the refund.

guv1976 Nov 2, 2019 10:16 am

Hello,

If you're certain that both flights are on a single ticket (and not just on a single PNR), I would explore whether EC261/2004 covers your situation.

Be aware, though, that some travel agencies have been known to combine separate tickets on a single itinerary.

If you determine that you do have a valid claim for a refund under EC261/2004, make sure that you cite that regulation when you next approach your travel agent for a refund.

beckoa Nov 3, 2019 9:56 pm

Dynamite Red , welcome to Flyertalk.

Please follow the redirect as we relocate your query.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk

eshroom Nov 10, 2019 4:08 pm

That schedule change must have happened a while back as I've been looking at these flights on similar dates. There is still a 1 hour 55 minute connection time. Have you tried ringing the airline to see if they will allow this?

MSPeconomist Nov 10, 2019 4:16 pm

Hello,

I'm confused in that OP talks about a stopover (meaning over 24 hours on an international itinerary) on the original ticket and then a connection (under 24 hours on international), but say that he/she was rescheduled to a later flight. Details would help here.

However, if the travel is in December, EC261 probably won't help as schedule change and cancellation protections normally apply when the change/notice occurs within 14 days of scheduled departure.

Has the OP tried to look at the airline's CoC? I'm guessing that there aren't any posted in English.

eshroom Nov 11, 2019 4:26 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31722890)
Has the OP tried to look at the airline's CoC? I'm guessing that there aren't any posted in English.

They do have terms in English. They aren't great, this is the closest I've found to this situation but wouldn't seem to apply to schedule changes. There is nothing in the terms specifically for schedule changes.

12.3.1 If Shenzhen Airlines flight is delayed or canceled in the city of origin due to Shenzhen Airlines itself or force majeure ( weather, unexpected event, air traffic control, security check), or passenger’s sickness or death result in passenger’s incapability to board according to the time specified on the ticket, refund shall be applied as follows:

(1)Involuntary refund can only be applied at the original ticketing place.

(2)Passengers requesting an involuntary refund may receive a full refund of the ticket fare at the place of flight departure; or a full refund of unused segments of the ticket (i.e. normal fare from stopping place to destination listed on the passenger’s ticket multiplied by discount offered when purchasing the ticket) at the specified stopping place(alternating place), but in no instance can the amount of the refund exceed the amount paid for the original fare. No cancellation fee is charged in either case.​