Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

Philippine Airlines Manila connecting to American Airlines in Shanghai

Old Oct 13, 19, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Need advice how to transit PVG Shanghai without difficulty. Will Philippine airlines check my baggage thru Shanghai on American Airlines. Can I get a boarding pass in Manila for the American flight in Shanghai to DFW? I have decided to hand carry baggage only to avoid any delays. My layover is 2 hours.
Old Oct 14, 19, 8:19 am

Programs: BAEC, Accor
Is this on a single ticket, or two separate tickets?
Old Oct 14, 19, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Single e ticket. I really don’t know if Philippine airlines with send my bags all the way to USA....I was thinking to have carry on only.i was told to have boarding pass before arriving in PVG. I really don’t want to cancel this flight...I have prepaid for an upgraded seat. It’s important I make this connection and not miss the flight. All my years of airplane travel...this airport has complications....so I’m told.

im a US citizen. I have to get fingerprinted? Quarantined? Immigration? Security checked? My checked luggage has to be removed and screen again. Must have paper copy of boarding pass?

Last edited by ObligedFriend; Oct 14, 19 at 9:02 am
Old Oct 14, 19, 1:18 pm

Programs: BAEC, Accor
Seems an odd pairing, as neither PR or AA websites are shouting about having any significant cooperation with each other. Who issued the ticket? On a single ticket I would expect luggage to get checked through....

Hopefully someone with an ExpertFlyer subscription can look up and see if PR have an interline agreement with AA.
Old Oct 15, 19, 3:54 am
Original Poster

American Airlines claims luggage will transit PVG...Philippine airlines says...must collect baggage at PVG.
Old Oct 15, 19, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
PR has an interline agreement with AA, so that should not be a problem. On a single PNR they will check your bags though.

But a 2h layover could turn short if your PR flight is delayed. Always safer to travel HBO. PVG has frequent delays (your PR flight has an average 35min delay last month).

I don't see why you get so excited about a transfer in PVG. Indeed the airport is huge and it takes some time to transfer, but you should have no problem if your flight is on time. PR should give you boarding passes in MNL. But it would be a good idea to get the AA PNR number (could be different from the PR number if they use different systems) and check in via internet the day before. Then print your BP to show at PVG.
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 15, 19, 4:04 am
Original Poster

I will have to transit PVG with a carryon bag, I cannot risk beIng delayed because of political ideology at PVG. If I decide to cancel transit at PVG it will cost $700.

Philippine Airlines said today they can only check bags to PVG not DFW.

There has never been any drama,,,all my years of flying until the travel agent booked be to PVG. Why has this happened, it’s critical I make the flight transfer PVG. If not...my life is over.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Oct 15, 19 at 4:28 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 15, 19, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by ObligedFriend View Post
I will have to transit PVG with a carryon bag, I cannot risk beIng delayed because of political ideology at PVG. If I decide to cancel transit at PVG it will cost $700.

Philippine Airlines said today they can only check bags to PVG not DFW.

There has never been any drama,,,all my years of flying until the travel agent booked be to PVG. Why has this happened, it’s critical I make the flight transfer PVG. If not...my life is over.
That is strange because Expertflyer states that PR has a baggage interline agreement with AA.

Claiming "political ideology" makes no sense. If anything it's PR that is not a dependable airline. But booking a 2-hour transit in PVG is risky given the not-so-frequent ATC congestion in Chinese airspace. PR336 landed early every day of the past week, except on 11 Oct where it landed 2 hours late..
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 15, 19, 9:48 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
PR and AA have interline agreements for ticketing and baggage with each other.

Unless the OP is wearing a Winnie the Pooh shirt or handing out pro-HKG demonstrators leaflets she will be one of thousands they won't notice.

I dont get why someone who thinks there's a whiff of issues around political ideology would connect in PVG or anywhere in PRC where lateness and congestion would be the more probable issues. You can fly non stop to Canada on PR and connect there on AA or skip PR and fly CX staying in the airport with no drama.
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 15, 19, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

1 MIN AGO
“All of your flights are on the same ticket and we have a baggage agreement with them. They will check your bags to GPT. You will pick them up in DFW to clear customs then put them back on the carousel to your final destination.” American Airlines

American Airlines response to my question “Will Philippine airlines check my luggage from Manila via Shanghai to Gulfport, Mississippi

Old Oct 15, 19, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Yes, which is what was meant when you were told here there's an interline agreement for luggage.

What was meant by a delay due to ideology?

Note for flights as important with concerns about processes when you book with a travel agent you can say not to book your flight through PRC.
Old Oct 16, 19, 6:05 am

Programs: FB Silver, ANA, Accor Gold

1 MIN AGO
“All of your flights are on the same ticket and we have a baggage agreement with them. They will check your bags to GPT. You will pick them up in DFW to clear customs then put them back on the carousel to your final destination.” American Airlines

American Airlines response to my question “Will Philippine airlines check my luggage from Manila via Shanghai to Gulfport, Mississippi

PR is correct. Only very few airlines are allowed to through-check bags in PVG. This has nothing to do with the respected airlines but with the policy of PVG. You need to pick up your bags in PVG and make a transit without visa (TWOV). If you're travelling on a US passport you should be fine. However the 2h transit time is on the shorter side. As you''ve mentioned this is all on one ticket: if you miss your AA flight, AA should rebook you on the next available connection.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 16, 19, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Should I hand carry only for this trip? No check baggage? There’s lots of conflicting information on this subject. Perhaps most of the flights into PVG are ONE WAY...it’s not set up for...connecting flights. My return flight is connecting to HK not PVG. There’s a flight on Eastern China that departs Manila 0430 arrives PVG terminal 1....that might be better.
Old Oct 16, 19, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Wonder who’s pushing these PVG connecting flights...people must be pulling out their hair transferring flights in PVG.
Old Oct 16, 19, 9:27 am

Programs: FB Silver, ANA, Accor Gold
Wonder who’s pushing these PVG connecting flights...people must be pulling out their hair transferring flights in PVG.
Usually, flights within the same alliance are OK these days in PVG. PR and AA just have an interline agreement which is most probably not working in PVG. With HBO, this connection is completely fine. If your ticket is changeable, I would aim for a connection in either TYO or HKG. Ask your ticket issuer for this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: