China Eastern in-flight Wifi?

Old Oct 8, 19, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *G, ST E+, OZ Diamond, DL GM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
China Eastern in-flight Wifi?

Any comments on prices and speed for trans-pacific flights?
Old Oct 9, 19, 3:06 am

There's no charge for it. You can register on the website in advance or on the plane. You do need a vpn if you want to use sights blocked in China.

It works very intermittently and is very slow to the point it is mostly unusable. Last few flights I gave up on even trying to use it. I think it used to be better a couple of years ago even though it was never great. Maybe since they allow people to use their phones now more people are using it.
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 9, 19, 4:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HanBkk View Post
There's no charge for it. You can register on the website in advance or on the plane. You do need a vpn if you want to use sights blocked in China.

It works very intermittently and is very slow to the point it is mostly unusable. Last few flights I gave up on even trying to use it. I think it used to be better a couple of years ago even though it was never great. Maybe since they allow people to use their phones now more people are using it.
I guess nothing is truly free in life. How do I register for it online?
Old Oct 9, 19, 5:15 am

This is the page: Ticket verification - China Eastern Airline but right now it shows under maintenance.
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 10, 19, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
I guess nothing is truly free in life. How do I register for it online?
Don't waste your time trying to register pre-flight. If it's working, signing on onboard isn't difficult.
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 10, 19, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog View Post
Don't waste your time trying to register pre-flight. If it's working, signing on onboard isn't difficult.
The more I read about this, the more I think it might be a waste of time and just read the Economist on the plane.
Old Oct 10, 19, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY
It works reasonably well with sites not blocked by the Great Firewall, if not slow. The VPNs I use can't connect though, so I wonder what VPN is best for their in-flight Wi-Fi given that I fly them regularly and can benefit from regular access to work (especially since my employer is once again blocked by the Great Firewall).

Search this Thread