Minimum time to transit in PEK on one PNR?

Old Sep 20, 19, 7:56 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 535
Minimum time to transit in PEK on one PNR?

I've only transited through PEK once, on JFK-PEK, PEK-KIX, and it was a nightmare.
It was two PNRs, one award one revenue, both on AirChina... I couldn't get checked in all the way to KIX at JFK, had to get an entry permit, go landside, re-check in...what was supposed to be a lesiurely 4.5 hr layover turned into a mad rush.

Considering JFK-PEK-RGN with 1.5hr, one revenue PNR, in J. Is this enough time in that airport?
stevento is offline  
Old Sep 20, 19, 9:26 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denmark
Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Posts: 5,503
It should be OK - when on one PNR your bags will be checked through to final destination and you stay in transit rather than entering China. To clear transit document and security check should not take long.

I would never travel via PEK when on 2 separate tickets (unless traveling with hand luggage only and with plenty of time)
SK AAR is offline  
Old Sep 20, 19, 9:29 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 535
thanks... I would have never thought AirChina wouldn't check me in all the way through,when both flights were on their metal. We've traveled countless times on revenue/award combos, and never had a problem with it.
stevento is offline  
Old Sep 20, 19, 11:54 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 535
what about 1 hr JFK-PEK-BKK... connecting to BKK-LPQ in the morning. Too risky? Probably...
stevento is offline  
Old Sep 20, 19, 1:06 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 30,200
Originally Posted by stevento View Post
I've only transited through PEK once, on JFK-PEK, PEK-KIX, and it was a nightmare.
It was two PNRs, one award one revenue, both on AirChina... I couldn't get checked in all the way to KIX at JFK, had to get an entry permit, go landside, re-check in...what was supposed to be a lesiurely 4.5 hr layover turned into a mad rush.

Considering JFK-PEK-RGN with 1.5hr, one revenue PNR, in J. Is this enough time in that airport?
On one ticket, you don't have a great deal to worry about, as long as it's not essential for you to arrive in RGN (or wherever your final destination turns out to be) on time, but I would never connect in PEK or PVG if there were any other options. For RGN, other options appear to be numerous (e.g CX, JL, CI, KE, SQ). LPQ isn't nearly as well served, but BKK is, of course.

Slightly off topic, based on what I've been reading about the terminal design, I'm cautiously optimistic about connections at PKX after it gets up to full speed.
moondog is offline  
Old Sep 21, 19, 1:22 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NRT / HND
Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
Posts: 4,243
I've done 1 to 1.5 hour connections in PEK loads of times. It's not something I'd recommend if there is only one flight per day to your destination though as you do run a fair risk of missing it if your inbound is delayed by much at all. CA also uses an awful lot of bus gates at PEK, compounding the issue, a 10 minute delay plus arriving at a bus gate make a 60 min connection really challenging at best.
dvs7310 is offline  
Old Sep 21, 19, 6:56 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 535
thanks... yes, that's my biggest concern, the connecting flight is the last flight of the day, and I have no desire to overnight in Beijing.
I can take an earlier flight at increase the connection to about 2 hrs, so that should help.
Sadly, there are no options other than AirChina. Everything else is double the price and not available for my dates. So as much as we despise CA and PEK, it may be our only choice.
stevento is offline  
Old Sep 25, 19, 9:20 am
  #8  
lsi
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: London
Posts: 36
On this subject, I've noticed that CA sell through their official website a flight from BKK to LHR through PEK where the transfer time is 1 hour 15 minutes. This seems a bit risky, especially when the inbound flight (CA980) appears to be delayed every single day... This seems, ehm, not great. How easy are CA to deal with in case of missed connections at PEK due to delays?
lsi is offline  
Old Sep 25, 19, 10:38 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 30,200
Originally Posted by lsi View Post
On this subject, I've noticed that CA sell through their official website a flight from BKK to LHR through PEK where the transfer time is 1 hour 15 minutes. This seems a bit risky, especially when the inbound flight (CA980) appears to be delayed every single day... This seems, ehm, not great. How easy are CA to deal with in case of missed connections at PEK due to delays?
Pretty good because they have a great deal of experience in this area.
jeffrocowboy and lsi like this.
moondog is offline  
Old Sep 29, 19, 2:45 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: European: ZRH, Asian: SIN
Posts: 7,535
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
Pretty good because they have a great deal of experience in this area.
Like every other airline running a hub has.

Actually, if you're reaching the transfer "immigration" check 30min before departure (ie, about 15min before boarding closes) and you open your mouth/ask to be let in front of security as well (they even do list flights eligable for queue jumping) you'll make the flight.

I know some people don't like to transfer PEK for whatever reason, but for me personally on a int-int it's nothing too bad. I've had much worse connections in FRA, CDG, LHR that makes PEK look half as bad.
YuropFlyer is offline  
Old Sep 29, 19, 3:19 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Goodbye Flyertalk.
Posts: 2,589
I comment in respect to Air Canada connection to Air China, single PNR; YYZ-PEK-BKK I did this a few times until I stopped transiting China last year.
Awful business class experience. Bags was indeed checked through to BKK, but I had to collect BP from "transfer desk" in PEK. Inadequately staffed, rude, nasty, unhelpful staff. Collected BP after a 20 minute wait, went through immigration, where government agent was professional and polite. That took about 10 minutes. Then onto the security line, which was another unpleasant experience. Rude guards (worse than US TSA) pushy, obnoxious locals, stressed out transit pax late for connection. Meticulous checking. Took me about 20 minutes to clear. Then into main terminal. Not really heated in the winter with a layer of grime that clings to everything. Air quality not particularly good and the washrooms all have a public sewer stench. Adding the 15 minute transit from aircraft to terminal, it was an hour and a bit to transfer for non rush hour transits, early evening. My flight was late arriving because of the traffic backlog and weather (about 1 hour).

And no, IMO Air China is not easy to deal with when there are IROPS or other issues. Rude indifference is the attitude.

Overall, I have nothing nice to say about a Peking transit experience, although, I do like the PEK Hilton for longer transits. China is a massive negative for me and I detest the mainland airport experience. There is a reason why western airlines have to discount their PVG/PEK transits and the Chinese airport experience is the primary reason.

Last edited by Transpacificflyer; Sep 29, 19 at 3:25 pm
Transpacificflyer is offline  
Old Sep 29, 19, 3:39 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 30,200
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer View Post
Overall, I have nothing nice to say about a Peking transit experience, although, I do like the PEK Hilton for longer transits. China is a massive negative for me and I detest the mainland airport experience. There is a reason why western airlines have to discount their PVG/PEK transits and the Chinese airport experience is the primary reason.
Well, PKX (officially opening today) was supposedly designed with efficient transits in mind, and I'm cautiously optimistic that it will be substantially better than PEK and PVG in this regard. By the way, the English name for the Chinese capital is "Beijing".
moondog is offline  
Old Oct 4, 19, 9:10 am
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 535
According to Wikipedia, CA only does domestic transits through PKX
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beijin...ort_facilities
Is this subject to change in the future, or inaccurate altogether?
stevento is offline  
Old Oct 4, 19, 12:56 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 30,200
Originally Posted by stevento View Post
According to Wikipedia, CA only does domestic transits through PKX
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beijin...ort_facilities
Is this subject to change in the future, or inaccurate altogether?
CA doesn't "do" anything at PKX. Check back after they start flying there; Rome wasn't built in a day.
moondog is offline  
Old Oct 5, 19, 8:32 am
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 535
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
CA doesn't "do" anything at PKX. Check back after they start flying there; Rome wasn't built in a day.
It looks like this is their plan:
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...late-oct-2019/
Air China at the launch of winter 2019/20 season is launching service from Beijing Daxing Airport, initially operating 10 domestic routes, 1 daily each. Planned service from 27OCT19 as follows.

Beijing Daxing Chengdu 1 daily A321
Beijing Daxing Chongqing 1 daily 737-800
Beijing Daxing Guangzhou 1 daily 737-800
Beijing Daxing Hangzhou 1 daily A321
Beijing Daxing Kunming 1 daily 737-800
Beijing Daxing Nanning 1 daily 737-800
Beijing Daxing Shanghai Pu Don 1 daily A321
Beijing Daxing Shenyang 1 daily 737-800
Beijing Daxing Shenzhen 1 daily 737-800
Beijing Daxing Yinchuan 1 daily 737-800


This article says CA will keep PEK as hub.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/willhor.../#3172b2016af1
stevento is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread