How to assign seat on HK Airlines, with UA ticket

Old Sep 18, 19, 5:19 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northern California
Programs: UA-Plat, UA-MM, Hertz PC, HH, APEC ABTC
Posts: 189
How to assign seat on HK Airlines, with UA ticket

I've searched around the forum for this question, but could not find an answer. So my apologies if this has already been addressed.

I just bought SFO-BKK RT from UA, with the HKG-BKK leg by Hong Kong Airlines. That is a short leg, but I would love to choose my seat if possible because I'm a tall man and I'd like an aisle.

On the UA Reservation page, it shows the PNR for the HK leg (identified as Air China, the partner company of HK). But on the HK and Air China websites neither that PNR or the eTicket number (016...) do not succeed in revealing the seat. Often in the past, a UA purchased ticket with a partner leg will even tell you the assignment, even if you cannot change it. But this time around, I seem to be shut out.

Has anyone had any luck in finding (and changing) this seat assign?

Of course, it's quite possible that no assignment exists and I'll just get whatever pops up when I check in, but I'd love to be able to manage it more explicitly.

thanks in advance
tvhead is offline  
Old Sep 18, 19, 5:29 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: SNA, LAX
Programs: UA Plat
Posts: 2,900
If the website is not working, you'll have to contact their 24 hour call center : +1-855-393-3880 to arrange your seats.
ual744777sta is offline  
Old Sep 18, 19, 5:34 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: CVG/YYZ
Programs: UA Gold, AC, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 11,615
Originally Posted by tvhead View Post
I've searched around the forum for this question, but could not find an answer. So my apologies if this has already been addressed.

I just bought SFO-BKK RT from UA, with the HKG-BKK leg by Hong Kong Airlines. That is a short leg, but I would love to choose my seat if possible because I'm a tall man and I'd like an aisle.

On the UA Reservation page, it shows the PNR for the HK leg (identified as Air China, the partner company of HK). But on the HK and Air China websites neither that PNR or the eTicket number (016...) do not succeed in revealing the seat. Often in the past, a UA purchased ticket with a partner leg will even tell you the assignment, even if you cannot change it. But this time around, I seem to be shut out.

Has anyone had any luck in finding (and changing) this seat assign?

Of course, it's quite possible that no assignment exists and I'll just get whatever pops up when I check in, but I'd love to be able to manage it more explicitly.

thanks in advance
Did you try calling HK airlines to ask? Donít know about them specifically, but itís always better to ask the operating carrier about seat assignments. Depending on their policies, you may be able to select them for free, may have to pay, or may not be able to do it until check in.
emcampbe is offline  
Old Sep 19, 19, 7:51 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 30,219
Originally Posted by tvhead View Post
On the UA Reservation page, it shows the PNR for the HK leg (identified as Air China, the partner company of HK). But on the HK and Air China websites neither that PNR or the eTicket number (016...) do not succeed in revealing the seat. Often in the past, a UA purchased ticket with a partner leg will even tell you the assignment, even if you cannot change it. But this time around, I seem to be shut out.
Does your ticket really say this?
moondog is offline  
Old Sep 19, 19, 10:45 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: NYC
Programs: UA 1K; IHG Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 101
I've had to call HK Airlines to change my seat assignment, when I'm booked on a UA ticket with a segment on HX.

There is usually a long wait... and lots of blocked seats they can't assign you to. I don't even think you can pay for a better seat since it's not ticketed by HX.

Grrr. I wish UA would offer the BKK-HKG segments on TG. HX is probably much cheaper for them.

Interlining with HX also allows them to sell HKG-SGN, HKG-HAN, and other destinations in Southeast Asia from HKG that HX flies to.

If UA few to BKK from ORD, SFO, and EWR, connecting flights with TG might make more sense.
NYC2SGN is offline  
Old Sep 19, 19, 12:46 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northern California
Programs: UA-Plat, UA-MM, Hertz PC, HH, APEC ABTC
Posts: 189
Originally Posted by NYC2SGN View Post
Grrr. I wish UA would offer the BKK-HKG segments on TG. HX is probably much cheaper for them.


If UA few to BKK from ORD, SFO, and EWR, connecting flights with TG might make more sense.
I agree! I much prefer TG. But what I really, really want is an SFO-BKK non-stop on UA. It's been rumored for some time. But as Thailand is primarily a tourist, not a business destination, and since tourism is suffering a bit right now due to the strength of the THB, it may remain as a rumor for the time being.
NYC2SGN likes this.
tvhead is offline  
Old Sep 19, 19, 1:57 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 30,219
Originally Posted by NYC2SGN View Post
Interlining with HX also allows them to sell HKG-SGN, HKG-HAN, and other destinations in Southeast Asia from HKG that HX flies to.
In the past, CX was common on these joint tickets, which was quite okay with me, and better than TG to BKK IMO. While I wouldn't describe HX as a terrible airline, it's not exactly high on my list either.
moondog is offline  
Old Sep 19, 19, 2:46 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: NYC
Programs: UA 1K; IHG Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 101
Originally Posted by tvhead View Post
I agree! I much prefer TG. But what I really, really want is an SFO-BKK non-stop on UA. It's been rumored for some time. But as Thailand is primarily a tourist, not a business destination, and since tourism is suffering a bit right now due to the strength of the THB, it may remain as a rumor for the time being.
Funny how EWR-CPT happened because UA's route planning guy had a great experience in South Africa many years ago... but US-Southeast Asia non-stops, which have been requested by many loyal UA flyers, are not even considered.

Still bummed out they got rid of HKG-SGN




Originally Posted by moondog View Post
In the past, CX was common on these joint tickets, which was quite okay with me, and better than TG to BKK IMO. While I wouldn't describe HX as a terrible airline, it's not exactly high on my list either.
HX FAs are HKG based, so the service should be comparable to CX.

But, it appears that the HX call center is mainland based, so that's a whole other nightmare. I've also read reports of HX IROPS being terrible.

UA still sells tickets with connecting flights on CX. These are more expensive than the connecting flights on HX. I'd probably pay more for the CX connections if I had OW status.
NYC2SGN is offline  
Old Sep 19, 19, 4:55 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northern California
Programs: UA-Plat, UA-MM, Hertz PC, HH, APEC ABTC
Posts: 189
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
Does your ticket really say this?
Yes, in so many words:


And then later in the reservation record is shows the flight as HX 775 and HX 776. But no mention is given that it's really Hong Kong Airlines
Also note: This trip only cost $529. FTW.
tvhead is offline  
Old Sep 19, 19, 5:20 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 30,219
Originally Posted by tvhead View Post
Yes, in so many words:


And then later in the reservation record is shows the flight as HX 775 and HX 776. But no mention is given that it's really Hong Kong Airlines
Also note: This trip only cost $529. FTW.
That's interesting because I didn't think CA partnered with HX in any way, shape, or form (including reservations systems).
moondog is offline  
Old Sep 20, 19, 7:34 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: NYC
Programs: UA 1K; IHG Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 101
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
That's interesting because I didn't think CA partnered with HX in any way, shape, or form (including reservations systems).
I think it's a UA glitch.

I have a few reservations where there are segments operated by NH, and in those reservations there is a NH PNR and a CA PNR (though there are no segments operated by CA).
moondog likes this.
NYC2SGN is offline  
Old Sep 20, 19, 6:54 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northern California
Programs: UA-Plat, UA-MM, Hertz PC, HH, APEC ABTC
Posts: 189
Followup for the sake of closure:
I called the 24hour customer service number. was connected to a real human being after a wait of about 5 minutes. And the agent was able to quickly find my reservation and provide the seat assignment that I wanted.
Easy-Peasy.
Thanks all
moondog likes this.
tvhead is offline  
Old Sep 23, 19, 7:15 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: SNA, LAX
Programs: UA Plat
Posts: 2,900
Hong Kong Airlines is partially owned by Hainan Airlines. All mainland China based carriers use a system call TravelSky as their reservations system. TravelSky is owned by a state owned enterprise in China. Before the partial liberalization of the Chinese aviation market in the late 1980's, all flights were operated by CAAC (Civil Aviation Administration of China) with the airline code CA. CAAC used TravelSky as their reservation system. Once China partially opened up their aviation market and split CAAC into 6 state run airlines they kept the TravelSky system and kept the CA code as TravelSky's sole reservation code. This is why when you book any flight with UA it will come up with CA as the reservation system. The system is so interconnected, one Chinese airline can check-in and run reservations for another Chinese airline if there are network issues despite not having any formal code-share agreement.
moondog likes this.
ual744777sta is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread