FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines-470/)
-   -   Air Asia New Service to Sorong (Raja Ampat) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines/1986172-air-asia-new-service-sorong-raja-ampat.html)

limirl Sep 6, 2019 9:06 am

Air Asia New Service to Sorong (Raja Ampat)

Air Asia is starting a new service out of Sorong the gateway to Raja Ampat, this service was supposed to begin on Sept 1st but is now postponed. I booked my flight back from Sorong to Jakarta on October 3rd thinking that the operation would have been up and running for a month so any kinks would have been worked out. It turns out that the 1st day of operations for this new service is the day I'm flying out on Oct 3rd which doesn't give me much confidence it won't end up being postponed again to a later date. I contacted Air Asia and all I got was the usual airline jargon we will notify you of any delays if they occur. Is there any way to find out whether this new service will realistically begin in time for my flight. I will be on the islands in Raja Ampat where cell phone service and internet service is very poor for 11 days and I might not be able to find out if the flight is cancelled until I get back to Sorong the day before the flight. I now wish I had booked a flight with one of the other established airlines on this route.

Sam Bee Sep 6, 2019 9:38 am

That's tough, and I get the wariness. Is there anyway you can get someone located in a more internet reliable location to check and see if the flight you are booked on is still scheduled to operate and message you?

Even by Air Asia's standard i'd be surprised if they cancel the route with less than 2 weeks notice. Or ask your resort to check on it?

I'm happy to see this route open though (I hope it opens anyway). £200 return inc extra diving gear, emergency exit seating and meals is a steal for the route as well. It's a 9+ hour return segment - would the same crew do there and back?!

largeeyes Dec 24, 2019 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Sam Bee (Post 31497353)
That's tough, and I get the wariness. Is there anyway you can get someone located in a more internet reliable location to check and see if the flight you are booked on is still scheduled to operate and message you?

Even by Air Asia's standard i'd be surprised if they cancel the route with less than 2 weeks notice. Or ask your resort to check on it?

I'm happy to see this route open though (I hope it opens anyway). £200 return inc extra diving gear, emergency exit seating and meals is a steal for the route as well. It's a 9+ hour return segment - would the same crew do there and back?!

OP still around? Good to see someone giving Garuda some competition on the route.