Vietnam Airlines Awarded Foreign Air Carrier Permit

Old Sep 4, 19, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO (on my way to 360, baybee!)
Vietnam Airlines Awarded Foreign Air Carrier Permit

VN has been awarded the final permit needed to operate flights to the US. They'll be able to fly to up to 5 destinations. Also, they'll be able to fly through Taipei, Osaka, and Tokyo if needed. More info is in the link.

VN is a great carrier, and I am very excited for them to start US flight

Very exciting times for Vietnam aviation!

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...permit-460639/
Old Sep 4, 19, 9:50 pm

Existing thread on this topic below. Good to see progress continuing on this.

Boeing, Vietnam work toward FAA approval for VN flights to US [Now Approved]
Old Sep 4, 19, 11:24 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Can't wait to have pho for breakfast when flying business class between SGN/HAN and SFO/LAX!

I know you can have pho anywhere on the ground, however, it's a novelty to have it on an airplane.
Old Sep 5, 19, 12:21 am

What's the point if they fly through TPE? KIX might actually reduce fares somewhat. But in terms of TPE they cannot beat the Taiwanese airlines. Which already do service Vietnam quite a bit.
Old Sep 23, 19, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K; DL GM 2MM; AS 75K
Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
What's the point if they fly through TPE? KIX might actually reduce fares somewhat. But in terms of TPE they cannot beat the Taiwanese airlines. Which already do service Vietnam quite a bit.
My guess is that they will try to fly non-stop, but even through TPE, they should be very competitive....new long haul aircraft, wage rates half of BR, national loyalty, decent service, good hard product. I think this will hurt BR big time.
moondog likes this.
Old Sep 23, 19, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by 5khours View Post
My guess is that they will try to fly non-stop, but even through TPE, they should be very competitive....new long haul aircraft, wage rates half of BR, national loyalty, decent service, good hard product. I think this will hurt BR big time.
I don't know how the freedoms work, whether a government has to grant them or not, but why would Taiwan let them fly through Taipei? As in, why would BR or CI agree to that?
Actually, I wonder if Vietnamese in the US would prefer to fly them versus another airline. The ones in California are from the south, and espouse a different "Vietnam".
Old Sep 23, 19, 8:40 pm

I don't know how the freedoms work, whether a government has to grant them or not, but why would Taiwan let them fly through Taipei? As in, why would BR or CI agree to that?
I think because Vietnam allows BR to fly US/Vietnamese pax US <> Vietnam via TPE. I'm sure it's reciprocal.

Actually, I wonder if Vietnamese in the US would prefer to fly them versus another airline. The ones in California are from the south, and espouse a different "Vietnam".
Not sure, but my guess is that the Viet Kiew are pretty cool with the national carrier. I think it's viewed as the modern face of VN.
Old Sep 23, 19, 8:57 pm

I think because Vietnam allows BR to fly US/Vietnamese pax US <> Vietnam via TPE. I'm sure it's reciprocal.
How is it that Vietnam "allows"? It is a simple connection. This is what any country does. It is like saying the Canada allows the US to fly Canadian passengers via the US to other parts of the world. Canada has nothing to do with it.
Old Sep 23, 19, 9:13 pm

How is it that Vietnam "allows"? It is a simple connection. This is what any country does. It is like saying the Canada allows the US to fly Canadian passengers via the US to other parts of the world. Canada has nothing to do with it.
What your describing is 6th Freedom rights. It requires the permission of both the Canadian government and the government of the state to which the passengers are being flown from the US.
Old Sep 23, 19, 10:13 pm

What your describing is 6th Freedom rights. It requires the permission of both the Canadian government and the government of the state to which the passengers are being flown from the US.
As I read 6th freedom means a direct flight, same flight number. AFAIK the Taiwanese carriers sell connecting flights, so not 6th freedom?
Old Sep 23, 19, 10:51 pm

Question

As I read 6th freedom means a direct flight, same flight number. AFAIK the Taiwanese carriers sell connecting flights, so not 6th freedom?
Technically a single ticket (fare) whether same flight number or connecting flight. In practice though even separate tickets if the carrier is seen as encouraging it.

Search this Thread