MU Overnight Transit Hotel Service

Old Aug 20, 19, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVP Gold, HU Gold, IHG Spire Elite, Best Western Plat Diamond, Accor Silver
MU Overnight Transit Hotel Service

My itinerary is YVR-BKK-YVR, and I had an overnight layover at KMG on my way back. As I've seen this service before, I booked this itinerary without much hesitation.

When I tried to send the request online, I get this message:
The information you submitted does not match the information in our reservation system. Please check and resubmit the application later

I called MU, 2 agents both told me it's available only for outbound. I pointed out the tickets of CNY2,500 or more, 2 stays will be provided, it tells me that the service is offered both ways, and as long as the itineraries are originated in N. America, inbound should be eligible as well. They still said no, and they think I keep getting error message because I'm ineligible.

Really?

You can read the lengthy terms by yourself and let me know what you think:
https://us.ceair.com/en/transit-hotel-application.html
Old Aug 22, 19, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I read the link you provided, and agree with your interpretation -- i.e. you should receive hotel nights both outbound and inbound. Furthermore, since it seems that two of you are traveling, offering to share a room in both directions appears to be reasonable, even if their computer system is erring out. That having been said, going to battle with Chinese airlines typically ends up costing considerably more time/money than a Y300 hotel room in Kunming. As such, I would probably forgo principle, and simply drop the argument.
Old Aug 22, 19, 9:43 am

Programs: LA Platinum (OWS), DL Platinum (ST+)
Let me just add that I managed to apply for this in June through PVG and the hotel was really bad. No windows, dirty, and very far from the airport. Also, I had to wait over an hour for the “shuttle bus” (it was just a rusty old car) to take me there. It wasn’t worth the money saved. I would recommend just booking the hotel of your choice.
Old Aug 22, 19, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVP Gold, HU Gold, IHG Spire Elite, Best Western Plat Diamond, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
That having been said, going to battle with Chinese airlines typically ends up costing considerably more time/money than a Y300 hotel room in Kunming. As such, I would probably forgo principle, and simply drop the argument.
I'll try again at check-in and at MU lounges outbound with low expectations. I haven't started any research about KMG, but the city is 20km away? I'll be arriving after midnight, then leaving at 9am, so it won't give me enough time to see the city. Hopefully there are some options by the airport.

Originally Posted by weetanuki View Post
Let me just add that I managed to apply for this in June through PVG and the hotel was really bad. No windows, dirty, and very far from the airport. Also, I had to wait over an hour for the “shuttle bus” (it was just a rusty old car) to take me there. It wasn’t worth the money saved. I would recommend just booking the hotel of your choice.
I think I saw you're based in Japan, but I think the itinerary needs to be originating from N. America, etc, but not from Japan to be eligible?

I'm ST+, too, I see they didn't take it into consideration of choice of hotels.
Old Aug 23, 19, 6:43 am

Programs: LA Platinum (OWS), DL Platinum (ST+)
Originally Posted by maverikbc View Post
I'll try again at check-in and at MU lounges outbound with low expectations. I haven't started any research about KMG, but the city is 20km away? I'll be arriving after midnight, then leaving at 9am, so it won't give me enough time to see the city. Hopefully there are some options by the airport.

I think I saw you're based in Japan, but I think the itinerary needs to be originating from N. America, etc, but not from Japan to be eligible?

I'm ST+, too, I see they didn't take it into consideration of choice of hotels.
I am based in Japan and ST+, but I was able to book this service. Actually, it was on an itinerary that was ICN-NKG-LAX-PVG-ICN. I booked it directly with MU via their US website so that may be why it worked for me. Not sure, but in my case, my flights didn’t originate in the US (well, the return portion did, I guess!).

When I was met at the airport, the guy said they had actually booked me into 2 different hotels and he gave me the choice of either. He explained one as “Room is okay but far away from everything” and the other as “Room is bad but near shopping and restaurants”. I chose the “Room is okay” option and it was very much not okay.
Old Aug 27, 19, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by weetanuki View Post

I am based in Japan and ST+, but I was able to book this service. Actually, it was on an itinerary that was ICN-NKG-LAX-PVG-ICN. I booked it directly with MU via their US website so that may be why it worked for me. Not sure, but in my case, my flights didn’t originate in the US (well, the return portion did, I guess!).

When I was met at the airport, the guy said they had actually booked me into 2 different hotels and he gave me the choice of either. He explained one as “Room is okay but far away from everything” and the other as “Room is bad but near shopping and restaurants”. I chose the “Room is okay” option and it was very much not okay.
So PVG was on your inbound, but on the direction from LAX to ICN, so maybe that's why you were eligible.

If I ever get the room, then I'll request a convenient location one.

With the IHG promotion, it's a bit tempting to take a 20km cab ride to a Holiday Inn KMG, but given my short stay, a dirt cheap (I see it starts at USD10) hotel near the airport with a lot shorter cab ride is also tempting. In other word, the value of this service can be only USD10 plus free shuttles...
Old Aug 28, 19, 9:24 am

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
So PVG was on your inbound, but on the direction from LAX to ICN, so maybe that's why you were eligible.

If I ever get the room, then I'll request a convenient location one.

With the IHG promotion, it's a bit tempting to take a 20km cab ride to a Holiday Inn KMG, but given my short stay, a dirt cheap (I see it starts at USD10) hotel near the airport with a lot shorter cab ride is also tempting. In other word, the value of this service can be only USD10 plus free shuttles...
OP:

1) Today I learned that you can do KMG-YVR direct.

2) I lived/studied at a language school across the street from the Holiday Inn. If you had more time in KMG, I would recommend it, as it is probably one of the best HI's I have ever seen - also backed up by some short-term students who have stayed there. The property's Thai restaurant is fantastic, and the Chinese restaurant's dim sum was a weekend treat for us to visit. Staff are also very accommodating.

BUT....it's a 30 minute cab ride w/o traffic and 45-50 min with traffic into/out of town. Cab runs about CNY80 or so.

I'd strongly recommend taking a room at one of the many airport-adjacent hotels.
Old Aug 29, 19, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
OP:

1) Today I learned that you can do KMG-YVR direct.

2) I lived/studied at a language school across the street from the Holiday Inn. If you had more time in KMG, I would recommend it, as it is probably one of the best HI's I have ever seen - also backed up by some short-term students who have stayed there. The property's Thai restaurant is fantastic, and the Chinese restaurant's dim sum was a weekend treat for us to visit. Staff are also very accommodating.

BUT....it's a 30 minute cab ride w/o traffic and 45-50 min with traffic into/out of town. Cab runs about CNY80 or so.

I'd strongly recommend taking a room at one of the many airport-adjacent hotels.
1. Yes, I'm aware, although KMG-YVR flight stops at PVG or NKG, I think. One stop option is almost always the most expensive (often to the point rather take better carriers and connection experiences like BR, NH, etc), the trips which takes 40+ hrs with 3+ connections can be ridiculously cheap, though travelers need Chinese visa for that. My itinerary is barely under 24hrs in and out of China on my way back, if they make any schedule changes to make my stay longer than 24 hours, I may be screwed, because I don't have any Chinese visa. For CAD450 (and credit 100% to DL status), I'll see if the saving will be worth it.
2. I'd love to stay in central KMG and explore, but I'm arriving after midnight, and leaving at 9am, I've given up that idea. As a ST+, I 'should' have access to MU lounges, and I wonder if it's open 24 hours to spend the night. It won't be a bad idea especially my flight from BKK arrives late.
Old Oct 2, 19, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Update

After I've completed my outbound, I've given another try on the website, it got accepted.

The website said that I'd hear back in 3 business days, I received an automated reply immediately. I sent it on 25, and I've received the confirmation last night, albeit in Chinese.

昆明如家睿柏云酒店(原云之行七花酒店)after googling, it seems like Home Inn near the airport.

客人到达机场出站口请拨打接机专线电话 I hope MU counter will be open after I'll arrive after midnight to help me call a shuttle, or wish me luck!

one concern is that as my arrival time is shortly after midnight, so I've enter the actual date. Then the confirmation showed the check in date is the actual date, but check out is on the following day. In conventional sense, the check in normally doesn't start till afternoon of that date, so I'll reply to MU that hotel understands that I'll be arriving after midnight.

anyway, now I have a hotel confirmation to show to the immigration officer, so it's a one step forward.

Ps: I check MU site regularly, because I'm really close to 24hrs in China to barely qualify for twov. A small schedule change may screw this up. I almost had a heart attack when I saw an MU flight leaving bkk 7:50 arriving kmg 11:20! My flight is actually 19:50, arriving kmg 00:05, so I'm still ok, but if it changes to 23:20 arrival, I'll be screwed. Funny MU has flights leaving bkk at 7:50 AND 19:50! Does anybody know why my flight is blocked at 3h15m, while other MU flights are blocked at 2h30m? I find it bizzar as airports should be less congested in the night.
Old Oct 2, 19, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

. As a ST+, I 'should' have access to MU lounges, and I wonder if it's open 24 hours to spend the night. It won't be a bad idea especially my flight from BKK arrives late.
I visited lounges at nkg and kmg on my outbound. I thought nkg lounge was bad, kmg was worse. I don't know if they separate international and domestic, but I dropped by before my flight to bkk.

At 10pm, there was no hot food except for instant noodles and no alcohol. At nkg, it was hot and there was no real coffee, but at least there were a noodle/dumplings station and cold beers, a good selection of leaf teas.

Search this Thread