Name Too long (Air China)

Old Aug 14, 19, 4:54 am
Original Poster

Name Too long (Air China)

Hello,

Trying to book a domestic flight in China. Air China, via Trip.com.

My name is too long for Trip.com however. According to Trip I can just write my middle name as an initial (probably).

Below is how my name* looks on passport:

Last name/Surname:
Silver

Given Names:
Long John

I am worried I'm gonna mess this up somehow, so I wanted to check if anyone with long names got any experience with Air China?

*not my actual name
Old Aug 15, 19, 2:29 pm

Programs: BA Silver; LH FTL, IHG Spire; Hertz 5*
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

My partner's name is 23 letters in total, which I thought was a long name, but it fits fine into Trip.com so yours must be even longer! So I don't have the firm answer, but I can say that the Chinese often get very confused about western names - I once travelled on a Chinese bus ticket for [middle initial] [first name], and nobody objected that it didn't match my passport. So I would guess you will be ok, particularly if that's what Trip.com recommends. Air China generally doesn't try to rip you off at every opportunity, compared to some European low-cost carriers that might charge you 200 for a name change in this situation...
Old Aug 15, 19, 11:18 pm

Programs: A3*G/KFEG
You can drop your middle name, no issues at all.
Old Yesterday, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Deltus View Post
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

My partner's name is 23 letters in total, which I thought was a long name, but it fits fine into Trip.com so yours must be even longer! So I don't have the firm answer, but I can say that the Chinese often get very confused about western names - I once travelled on a Chinese bus ticket for [middle initial] [first name], and nobody objected that it didn't match my passport. So I would guess you will be ok, particularly if that's what Trip.com recommends. Air China generally doesn't try to rip you off at every opportunity, compared to some European low-cost carriers that might charge you 200 for a name change in this situation...
26 characters

Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
You can drop your middle name, no issues at all.
Thanks for the replies, I decided to just go with my first name and last name, as they are in the passport. Hopefully that'll work out fine.
Old Yesterday, 8:49 pm

Chinese-speaking societies don't care much about the middle name, as the Han Chinese don't have middle names.