Name Too long (Air China)

Old Aug 14, 19, 4:54 am
Original Poster

Name Too long (Air China)

Hello,

Trying to book a domestic flight in China. Air China, via Trip.com.

My name is too long for Trip.com however. According to Trip I can just write my middle name as an initial (probably).

Below is how my name* looks on passport:

Last name/Surname:
Silver

Given Names:
Long John

I am worried I'm gonna mess this up somehow, so I wanted to check if anyone with long names got any experience with Air China?

*not my actual name
Old Aug 15, 19, 2:29 pm

Programs: BA Silver; LH FTL, IHG Spire; Hertz 5*
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

My partner's name is 23 letters in total, which I thought was a long name, but it fits fine into Trip.com so yours must be even longer! So I don't have the firm answer, but I can say that the Chinese often get very confused about western names - I once travelled on a Chinese bus ticket for [middle initial] [first name], and nobody objected that it didn't match my passport. So I would guess you will be ok, particularly if that's what Trip.com recommends. Air China generally doesn't try to rip you off at every opportunity, compared to some European low-cost carriers that might charge you 200 for a name change in this situation...
Old Aug 15, 19, 11:18 pm

Programs: A3*G/KFEG
You can drop your middle name, no issues at all.
Old Aug 16, 19, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Deltus View Post
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

My partner's name is 23 letters in total, which I thought was a long name, but it fits fine into Trip.com so yours must be even longer! So I don't have the firm answer, but I can say that the Chinese often get very confused about western names - I once travelled on a Chinese bus ticket for [middle initial] [first name], and nobody objected that it didn't match my passport. So I would guess you will be ok, particularly if that's what Trip.com recommends. Air China generally doesn't try to rip you off at every opportunity, compared to some European low-cost carriers that might charge you 200 for a name change in this situation...
26 characters

Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
You can drop your middle name, no issues at all.
Thanks for the replies, I decided to just go with my first name and last name, as they are in the passport. Hopefully that'll work out fine.
Old Aug 16, 19, 8:49 pm

Chinese-speaking societies don't care much about the middle name, as the Han Chinese don't have middle names.
Old Aug 18, 19, 10:25 pm

Programs: AS 75K, TK ELPL (*G), BA Gold (OWE), Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
I usually drop my middle name and rarely have issues. However, the one place I do consistently have issues is in China, whenever I'm flying on a flight departing URC. They are very particular about names that that airport, and while I usually make it through, there is often a lot of hassle involved.
Old Aug 19, 19, 5:46 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Elite, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL View Post
I usually drop my middle name and rarely have issues. However, the one place I do consistently have issues is in China, whenever I'm flying on a flight departing URC. They are very particular about names that that airport, and while I usually make it through, there is often a lot of hassle involved.
have there been times you didn't?

There is such a lot of conflicting experiences reported on various threads about this issue.

Search this Thread