FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines-470/)
-   -   Name Too long (Air China) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines/1982912-name-too-long-air-china.html)

fabledflyer Aug 14, 2019 4:54 am

Name Too long (Air China)

Hello,

Trying to book a domestic flight in China. Air China, via Trip.com.

My name is too long for Trip.com however. According to Trip I can just write my middle name as an initial (probably).

Below is how my name* looks on passport:

Last name/Surname:
Silver

Given Names:
Long John

I am worried I'm gonna mess this up somehow, so I wanted to check if anyone with long names got any experience with Air China?

*not my actual name

Deltus Aug 15, 2019 2:29 pm

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

My partner's name is 23 letters in total, which I thought was a long name, but it fits fine into Trip.com so yours must be even longer! So I don't have the firm answer, but I can say that the Chinese often get very confused about western names - I once travelled on a Chinese bus ticket for [middle initial] [first name], and nobody objected that it didn't match my passport. So I would guess you will be ok, particularly if that's what Trip.com recommends. Air China generally doesn't try to rip you off at every opportunity, compared to some European low-cost carriers that might charge you £200 for a name change in this situation...

razorblade Aug 15, 2019 11:18 pm

You can drop your middle name, no issues at all.

fabledflyer Aug 16, 2019 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Deltus (Post 31420415)
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

My partner's name is 23 letters in total, which I thought was a long name, but it fits fine into Trip.com so yours must be even longer! So I don't have the firm answer, but I can say that the Chinese often get very confused about western names - I once travelled on a Chinese bus ticket for [middle initial] [first name], and nobody objected that it didn't match my passport. So I would guess you will be ok, particularly if that's what Trip.com recommends. Air China generally doesn't try to rip you off at every opportunity, compared to some European low-cost carriers that might charge you £200 for a name change in this situation...

26 characters :)

Originally Posted by razorblade (Post 31421708)
You can drop your middle name, no issues at all.

Thanks for the replies, I decided to just go with my first name and last name, as they are in the passport. Hopefully that'll work out fine.

z4017 Aug 16, 2019 8:49 pm

Chinese-speaking societies don't care much about the middle name, as the Han Chinese don't have middle names.

PVDtoDEL Aug 18, 2019 10:25 pm

I usually drop my middle name and rarely have issues. However, the one place I do consistently have issues is in China, whenever I'm flying on a flight departing URC. They are very particular about names that that airport, and while I usually make it through, there is often a lot of hassle involved.

jeffrocowboy Aug 19, 2019 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL (Post 31430903)
I usually drop my middle name and rarely have issues. However, the one place I do consistently have issues is in China, whenever I'm flying on a flight departing URC. They are very particular about names that that airport, and while I usually make it through, there is often a lot of hassle involved.

have there been times you didn't?

There is such a lot of conflicting experiences reported on various threads about this issue.