How are you booking your CA and MU flights?

Old Aug 11, 19, 3:35 pm

Programs: BAEC, Accor
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
That's awesome! I guess I gotta give Ctrip a try at some point in the future for domestic flights in China. What does your credit card categorize Ctrip purchases as?

For trans-pacific flights, better to just book with Orbitz since it'll pass off as purchasing direct from the airline for 5x from AMEX Platinum?
Sorry, I can't say for certain as I paid using WeChat pay when I have used CTrip. However I would be very surprised if it wasn't categorised as travel for a card purchase, CTrip are a very significant travel agent for northern Asia.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 12, 19, 11:24 am

Programs: A3*G/KFEG
Oh nice, you're the first guy to have mentioned that you booked direct from CA's site. I'm guessing you use CA's USA site? They accept Visa, Mastercard, and AMEX? Or just the first two? Usually the lowest price? Any issues when something does go wrong? How would you compare Orbitz to CA's site?
I book from CA's site in my region, Singapore. No idea about AMEX but they accept both visa and master.

Price wise I think they were comparable to most booking sites.

No issues as they have a number to call in Singapore, they are manned locally during office hours. Haven't run into any major issues with them. Flight changes can be made via my local office and they are more than adequate to handle them. I did have a flight delayed ex-LAX and they offered meal vouchers at check in.

Also as for ctrip, they do have an all English site at trip.com. However I seem to notice their prices are usually above their main ctrip site.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 12, 19, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *A, ST, OZ, DL, BA, AS, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
I book from CA's site in my region, Singapore. No idea about AMEX but they accept both visa and master.

Price wise I think they were comparable to most booking sites.

No issues as they have a number to call in Singapore, they are manned locally during office hours. Haven't run into any major issues with them. Flight changes can be made via my local office and they are more than adequate to handle them. I did have a flight delayed ex-LAX and they offered meal vouchers at check in.

Also as for ctrip, they do have an all English site at trip.com. However I seem to notice their prices are usually above their main ctrip site.
Have you booked from Ctrip before? Transactions labelled as travel purchases?
Old Aug 13, 19, 3:52 am

Programs: A3*G/KFEG
Have you booked from Ctrip before? Transactions labelled as travel purchases?
Yes and yes for my Singapore issued cards. YMMV though.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 13, 19, 11:29 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
MU website: Just fine for me.

CA website: It didn't like my US credit cards (plural).

C-trip/Trip.com: Excellent. I recommend it to all foreigners visiting China. I like it for domestic Chinese flight and train bookings.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 19, 19, 7:19 pm

Programs: BA GGL, GA PLAT, SQ Gold
I have found that using Expedia (US Site) got me a much better deal when booking MU Business Class

Booked Jakarta - Dalian - Bangkok, the Expedia cost was $824.00 if i booked direct with MU the cost was $1300.00, Ctrip was $1100.00

CTrip have now bought Sky-scanner, which gives more options but the service when i have use CTRIP In the past has always been good.
Old Aug 20, 19, 6:12 am

Programs: UA, TK , Starwood > Marriott
For my CA international flights, I prefer to book on Expedia.ca , but often their special sales fares are not available there. In those cases, I book on the CA website directly. No issue with my Canada- and Europe-issued Visa and Mastercard credit cards.

I find CA's English language call center to be okay for schedule changes etc.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 20, 19, 6:38 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVP Gold, HU Gold, IHG Spire Elite, Best Western Plat Diamond
For ex YVR: MU fares have been ridiculously high on Google Flights, so as their own site, so I've never booked directly. Good MU fares only show up via Skyscanner, Kayak, and OTAs. My latest example was the fare on Skyscanner, redirected to Exploretrip.com. It took Amex, online shows the charge coming from MU.

Update: While the charge was pending with my Amex, it showed the merchant as MU, but once it's posted, it's changed to Skylink.

For ex YUL: I've booked on CA site before, it took my Visa without problem. The Google Flights result and their price matched.
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by maverikbc; Aug 22, 19 at 11:23 pm